Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 2576 (Vintage House Dress)

Reviewed by:Rustybobn

About Rustybobnstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/5/02
Posted on:7/8/06 5:55 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
patsijean said... (7/9/06 11:51 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone else. I love that vintage 40's styling. The dress is great.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/9/06 10:18 AM) Reply
This is a wonderful project. The enjoyment of sewing is why we are all members of this site.
MaryBeth said... (7/9/06 8:26 AM) Reply
Oh good, I'm glad you're going to give it a go. What is it about rickrack??? I always get a "lift" when I see it or wear it.
Danvillegirl said... (7/9/06 7:50 AM) Reply
Dress looks great and you, like Kay Y, have become masters of PMB. I still struggle along and stay will simple! I think you will wear the dress well, vintage is so in right now, wear that rickrack with pride.
Rustybobn said... (7/9/06 7:46 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone. I do like the dress. I might wear it in a few days to see how I feel about it after it "ages" a bit... It makes me smile to walk into the sewing room and see it on Brunhilde.
Lori V said... (7/9/06 0:49 AM) Reply
Very cute dress, I like the fabric, trim and the back is wonderful.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (7/8/06 11:20 PM) Reply
Very cute, I beginning to understand the appeal of the vintage patterns. The dress as is just seems so "pure".
Mini said... (7/8/06 10:31 PM) Reply
Definitely 40's, and still cute today! My mom had dresses like these in her closet, and the streamlined skirt design reflects the fabric shortages of WW2. Fashions had to be simplified to accomodate rationing, but sometimes that was more elegant than a lot of designer frills. Retro is so in, you really ought to give the dress a public wearing at least once-bet you get some compliments too:)!
Erica B. said... (7/8/06 10:18 PM) Reply
very pretty
MaryBeth said... (7/8/06 10:00 PM) Reply
How pretty. I can see it on you.
ccris said... (7/8/06 9:51 PM) Reply
I like that dress. I think it's cute, rick rack and all. Doesn't much look like a house dress to me. Guess that's what they wore in the 40's, though. If you have enough fabric, try making a sash. Maybe you'll like it better. I think you did a great job.
Em's Summer said... (7/8/06 9:37 PM) Reply
Don't you just love the vintage words they used back then. Of course, I mean, deltor. :-) And your dress is simply peachy keen! Soo very lovely! Thanks for this great review!
busyozmum said... (7/8/06 9:26 PM) Reply
What a shame you don't feel 'comfortable' wearing it. I clicked on the picture and immediately thought it was gorgeous! I was surprised when I got to the end of your review and read that you don't think you'll wear it. May be in more subtle fabric and trim?? What d'ya reckon?? I think it's TOO cute. ;o)
Tiner W said... (7/8/06 8:48 PM) Reply
That's such a cute and fun dress!
Stargirl7 said... (7/8/06 7:27 PM) Reply
I really like it. I hope you find a place to wear it. If not, we all have those stay-at-home days when we can wear things we'd never wear out. Maybe if you got some fab shoes to go with it.
drsue said... (7/8/06 7:06 PM) Reply
40's for sure. Probably 43-46 would be my guess. You should at least wear it around the house. Its probably quite comfortable. I love these house dress patterns. So much easier to put on a wrap dress than jeans and tee shirt IMHO.
CarolynGM said... (7/8/06 7:03 PM) Reply
It's a cute dress. ZenOnWheels' suggestions for wrapped ties and different or no trim might help you feel less self-conscious in it or another version of it. In the meantime, Brunhilde is very well-dressed.
BJ1400 said... (7/8/06 7:00 PM) Reply
I love the dress! I like the back, the fabric & the front neckline.
Ronda Rae said... (7/8/06 6:53 PM) Reply
That's nice. I have that material in my stash!
bunz said... (7/8/06 6:53 PM) Reply
Great marriage of fabric and pattern!
ZenOnWheels said... (7/8/06 6:36 PM) Reply
I love the lines of this dress. Maybe a version without the rickrack and adapt the back to lose the buttons and instead incorporate a tie that wraps to the front? I'm still chuckling over the size 14/32 bust. Vintage indeed!
Mirza said... (7/8/06 6:05 PM) Reply
I love the back of the dress. It would be cute as the front with that wrap. It looks lovely on Brunhilde.

Understanding Wool Fabrics