Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4072 (Duro Dress)

Viewed 2011 times

Last Updated:10/7/06 1:23 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Bettsi said... (2/22/08 6:57 PM) Reply
I am so impressed with your dress! It looks absolutely lovely- heirloom quality.
Debbie Cook said... (11/7/06 1:25 PM) Reply
Wow! I missed this the first time. This is the prettiest Duro I have seen, and that it's in my size or near-to ... even better! Great fabric and design choices.
Amber in Norfolk said... (10/12/06 12:01 PM) Reply
Wow I love this iteration! Nice fabric choice.
bunz said... (10/7/06 6:31 PM) Reply
One of the prettiest duro dresses I've seen! Great decision on just using the one fabric -- gorgeous.
dctalktx said... (10/7/06 1:04 PM) Reply
I love this dress. I was not going to make a duro dress even though I bought the pattern because the contrast was a little much. Now I will follow your example. I love the piping, too. Thanks for share this!
Mini said... (10/7/06 12:07 PM) Reply
I like the low contrast too. Somehow the high conrast versions always remind me of a sports bra on backwards LOL. You will be able to wear this one even when the "Duro" trend is over.
sewbehind said... (10/7/06 11:55 AM) Reply
I like your dress. I think I prefer this style of dress in a lower contrast. It just looks better to me. Great job.
NancyDaQ said... (10/7/06 11:33 AM) Reply
Lovely dress! Your choice of piping instead of contrast bands resulted in a classic dress you can wear for years. Very nice.
carolynw said... (10/7/06 9:09 AM) Reply
Very nice dress!!
FloraNature said... (10/7/06 6:17 AM) Reply
Stunning! I love the colour combination, it's one of my favourites, and your necklace is just right for the dress. Also, your photo is beautiful - the angle adds depth and the flowers bring out the vibrant colour in your dress.
Vonnevo said... (10/7/06 2:46 AM) Reply
Carolyn, this is one eye catching dress. The fabric and trim work beautifully, the colours are wonderful and your necklace is a terrific match. Enjoy wearing your dress :)
CarolynD said... (10/7/06 1:45 AM) Reply
You did a lovely job on this dress. I'll bet you will get much use out of this dress, it looks very versatile and flattering.
Carolyndh said... (10/7/06 1:14 AM) Reply
Yes, I raised the neckline up about an inch.
Leslie Bonner said... (10/7/06 1:05 AM) Reply
Great dress. Love the piping. The neckline looks higher than in the pattern photos (which I like). Did you alter it any?
Schnauzer said... (10/7/06 0:50 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress Carolyn!
OP Gal said... (9/26/06 8:57 AM) Reply
Lovely dress. Very clever alterations. You look great in it.
SBanks said... (9/26/06 8:45 AM) Reply
Really lovely! I like the low contrast Duro. Fantastic fit job that looks perfect on you.
KaraKai said... (9/26/06 5:39 AM) Reply
Very pretty! :) Kara
Carolyndh said... (9/25/06 10:23 PM) Reply
To remove the gaps along the inner neckline after you have sewn the outer facing to the dress (muslin version): You pinch out the excess fabric along the inner neckline as slanted darts facing downward towards the "V" (muslin version) with the dart points facing away from the inner neckline; and then you transfer these dart markings to the pattern and slash on the dart folds almost all the way to the edge of the pattern piece (the outer edge away from the neck)>>then overlap the cut pattern pieces by exactly the amount that was gaping so that the excess measurement is removed from the pattern. Tape the overlapped edges with scotch tape to hold. Now the neckline facings (placed on the outside of the dress) will fit the contour of the outside of dress bodice but the inner neckline is now a closer fit and will hug close to the body. Believe it or not, this dress' colors are actually purple and dark gold>>The lighting just didn't pick that up. I plan to take some more photos tomorrow and will post the better ones.
Christina Sonja said... (9/25/06 9:53 PM) Reply
Carolyn - your dress looks great! I like your decision to use the same fabric for the contrast band as for the body.
CarolynGM said... (9/25/06 8:36 PM) Reply
Very nice -- I have a weakness for brown and blue prints! Could you say more about the tip you used to reduce gaposis in the neckline?
mamakooz said... (9/25/06 8:32 PM) Reply