Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2051

Member since: 11/4/02
Posted on:11/8/02 1:19 PM
Last Updated:11/12/02 1:44 AM

Lizzy said... (10/31/03 2:17 PM) Reply
I bought this pattern on impulse yesterday - then looked up your review. The necklines and sleeves appealed to me - after reading your comments I think I'll go straight to trying it with a knit and taking some of the curviness out of the seams. Your navy dress looks so pretty but that back zipper area is a real stinker. It may not be too late to rescue it. It looked just like a dress I made for myself about 35 yrs. ago. I loved the design, I loved the fabric but the back zipper area was awful. In those days $$ were so tight that it was also a financial disaster. Tears+++. My neighbour & sewing buddy had studied couture in France for 7 yrs. and served as an apprentice with a Brussels coutourier befor emigrating to Canada with her husband. She brow beat me into doing the unthinkable - picking out everyone of those stitches and re-inserting the zipper by hand-stitching with a tiny back-stitch. (we are still friends). I don't remember all the details of her supervision & instruction but it worked and I got a lot of mileage & compliments on that dress. I've managed to avoid most bias stuff since-managed to overlook it on this pattern though.
cookie said... (6/5/03 2:59 PM) Reply
I'm a beginner who just recently completed this pattern. I have the some weird thing going on in the back too. Looks great in the front though. I've decided to just wear my hair down to hide the back.
candyo said... (3/7/03 0:13 AM) Reply
thanks, i think i won't bother making this one... seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Margaret said... (11/14/02 2:39 AM) Reply
Thanks! I don't usually. ;-) I'm thinking about making a shrug that would hide the fitting problem, though (I have a shrug pattern and I haven't been able to figure out what to do with it). Alternatively, I might take out the zipper (ugh) and try gathering the excess somewhere along the CB, which might also disguise the slight lack-of-ease problem.
said... (11/13/02 11:25 PM) Reply
Wow, Margaret, this is a really pretty dress. Do you walk around with your arms raised? Just kidding. Anyhow, I think this is lovely.
Click here if you wish to edit your comment
Margaret said... (11/12/02 0:49 AM) Reply
I did try to ease the back seam into the zipper a little because I read that this keeps zippers from rippling. I think the curve in the CB really does make it worse if there is not enough room in the back, especially because I am short-waisted. I did shorten the waist length but I think the CB was still too long for me. Anyway, I think this could also be made from a knit. I did turn another Vogue bias-cut dress pattern (OOP, I think) into a knit nightgown, and that worked pretty well.
said... (11/10/02 8:49 PM) Reply
Margaret, thanks for the heads-up on the centre-back seam. I have this on the drawingboard for DD. It does sound as though the ripples might be caused by the biast. Did you stabilize the zipper area? I wonder, if you did if the stabilizer kept the seam area from stretching out when the bias relaxed. Could you change the grain and cut this out of a knit? It's such a cute style. I love the neckline.
Click here if you wish to edit your comment