Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2005-103

Posted on:11/7/06 3:43 PM
Last Updated:11/13/06 1:40 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

regine said... (6/30/12 1:45 PM) Reply
Hi Igrande, This cardigan was made 6 years ago and I cannot remember too much about making it. I looked at the sewing instructions and they clearly state 1.5 cm seam allowance. That is probably why I did not use the serger. It would have been better but the cardigan would have been bigger.
lgrande said... (6/29/12 4:25 PM) Reply
I really like it! I can see your expertise in the finish. It's a pattern that I'd be inclined to make as well. I like my tops on the long side so agree that it would look just as nice if it were a bit longer. I think you did a lovely job, I'd love to see the inside of the garment just because I'm sure it looks every bit as perfect there. I'm curious as to why you were advised to not serge the seams?
regine said... (11/9/06 0:54 AM) Reply
thanks for all the helpful comments
Doris W. in TN said... (11/8/06 4:19 PM) Reply
You can still serge the seam allowances together and press to one side, or serge each individual s/a if you like. The cardigan turned out great.
renaanne said... (11/8/06 9:30 AM) Reply
Looks lovely! I must have missed that one but I've been looking for a cardigan. Thanks for the review:-)
regine said... (11/8/06 4:53 AM) Reply
Thanks fuzzygalore, I will try pressing it again.
fuzzygalore said... (11/8/06 2:01 AM) Reply
I would mostly worry about fraying in hemp if it's not serged. You can always hand overcast after the fact, if you develop a problem, but that's a pain... I'd say any not flat-ness is due to lack of pressing rather than seam construction, try giving it lots of heat and steam, just as if it were linen.
regine said... (11/7/06 11:57 PM) Reply
I wish I knew what Coco Chanel would have done
ACB said... (11/7/06 7:07 PM) Reply
Looks great, don't worry we won't send the seam police for you.
j222b said... (11/7/06 5:28 PM) Reply
Love this. Idea for seams: cut seam allowances to one fourth inch and hand overcast, giving the look of "serging" (this is not flat either). or put on your creative hat: as Elaray might say, "what would Coco Chanel have done?"
Tiner W said... (11/7/06 4:51 PM) Reply