Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4954 (Jacket - design your own)

Reviewed by:PhyllisC

About PhyllisCstarstarstarstar
MA USA
Member since: 8/2/02
Posted on:11/18/06 10:09 AM
Last Updated:11/18/06 10:13 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Kung Fu Girl said... (2/26/08 9:25 AM) Reply
Hey Phyllis, thanks so much for all this great info. I've been searching for a Chanel jacket pattern. I'll never be able to afford the real thing, but I'm looking forward to a challenging sewing project. You tips are a big help.
JudithM said... (7/18/07 4:15 PM) Reply
Links to the fabric and notion suppliers used or addresses and phone #s would be very helpful
Marji said... (4/10/07 3:48 AM) Reply
Stunning! For me, it's a love-it color too. I found the process you went through interesting, in the ways it varies from the process I've sewn my jackets. I also find that storing the jacket folded flat is better than allowing it to hang. Hanging pulls too much on the shoulders and the boucle.
AnneM said... (11/27/06 9:56 AM) Reply
It's nice to know you have UFOs as well. Great jacket. Hand sewing can be very rewarding.
patsijean said... (11/20/06 11:57 PM) Reply
I love this jacket. Beautiful work. A Chanel style jacket is on my long list.
Harriet Rogers said... (11/20/06 11:26 AM) Reply
Fantastic jacket: love everything about it: all the work you put into this really shows: a wonderful couture piece. Congratulations!
OP Gal said... (11/19/06 6:47 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous! I admire your skills. Thanks for the review.
candyo said... (11/19/06 4:16 PM) Reply
I really like your jacket, esp. the lining fabric! I love pink. I've begun reading up on couture techniques as well, so I enjoyed reading this and your blog entry.
SBanks said... (11/19/06 2:27 PM) Reply
Fantastic! Thanks for the thorough run-down on the Divas Blog!
blue mooney said... (11/19/06 7:25 AM) Reply
Way to finish, Phyllis! Your jacket is lovely, and sounds like it's a dream to wear.
Karen said... (11/19/06 3:18 AM) Reply
Congratulations on your stunning jacket. Inspirational! Thank you for the great review.
tlmck3 said... (11/19/06 2:27 AM) Reply
Thank you again for the thorough tutorial and the tips about what's missing in the Threads article which already had me thinking about this process as a suitable winter nights project.
Erica B. said... (11/18/06 7:49 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket... very Coco!
crisford said... (11/18/06 6:27 PM) Reply
This is fabulous!! I had wanted to do this years ago but didn't have complete info. I love the idea of quilted layers and no interfacing.
LBJ said... (11/18/06 4:20 PM) Reply
Wow!
MarilynB said... (11/18/06 3:11 PM) Reply
Just lovely, Phyllis. I'm sure this will remain in your wardrobe for a long time. Thanks for listing all your sewing resources.
PVA said... (11/18/06 3:10 PM) Reply
Good Godfrey, Phyllis -- when you finish a UFO, it is *Finished* in every sense of the word! I would love to be in the same room with you wearing that jacket! Even Coco herself would be impressed! Thank you for the review, I hope you'll let us see a photo of you wearing it!
Lorna C. Newman said... (11/18/06 2:02 PM) Reply
Wish my UFO's looked like this when finished ... stunning!
Elona said... (11/18/06 1:25 PM) Reply
Killer jacket! A knockout.
Kay Y said... (11/18/06 12:38 PM) Reply
It's great to see how you used this pattern as the base for a true couture effort. It looks really lovely.
carolynw said... (11/18/06 11:52 AM) Reply
Over the top is what I say. I am going to get the pattern but am not sure I have all the patience that's needed for the hand sewing - but who knows !! Your jacket is one you can wear with such pride as am sure you will look fabulous!! Have the Threads mag you mention and have been keeping it out front in case I ever want to try doing a Chanel jacket!!
Diane E said... (11/18/06 11:27 AM) Reply
Phyllis, this is a lovely jacket. I'll bet it feels luscious to wear. I love sweaters and sweatery jackets, and this one would disappear from your closet if I lived close enough to make a secret cat-burgling visit.....
GorgeousFabrics said... (11/18/06 11:16 AM) Reply
BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Truly a couture work. And the hand quilting is exquisite and completely invisible (I've seen the WIP up close). Phyllis, I can't wait to see the finished jacket on you. It was truly worth all the work. -Ann

Kwik Sew 3267