Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4583 (Misses' dress or top and pants)

Reviewed by:krinn

About krinnstar
NJ USA
Member since: 7/9/06
Posted on:1/2/07 7:20 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
Bobinator said... (7/29/07 2:08 PM) Reply
I love the polka dots!!! Just made a pair of pants with pink polka dots!! You did a beautiful job!
AnneM said... (1/24/07 9:34 PM) Reply
Pull out a little maroon marker? Great job on the top.
Erica B. said... (1/3/07 11:41 PM) Reply
very cute top... love the polka dots!
Pinkytoo said... (1/3/07 12:00 PM) Reply
OOOOH, I like! Adding this to the ever-growing list of summer projects!
Puddin Pop said... (1/3/07 10:38 AM) Reply
You did a great job. When I first saw this, I thought it was in a maroon velvet. I really like this style. I like the Sharpie idea. Taking out a zipper is a lot of work for such a minor detail.
krinn said... (1/3/07 10:17 AM) Reply
Well a sharpie certainly sounds easier; I am not looking forward to ripping that thing out. I will give it a shot, thanks!
cindy-lou said... (1/3/07 10:07 AM) Reply
I LOVE this top! Wardrobe builders are over-rated anyway.. :) I mean, they are great, but they don't stand out without having a few original pieces like this one to go with them. Great colors, elegant look. I agree with the Sharpie idea!
Skymom said... (1/3/07 9:49 AM) Reply
I like your top! I'm a big fan of polka dots. Um, could you just find a Sharpie marker in maroon and color your zipper to match the fabric? Or is that too horrible a cheat for me even to suggest?! Maybe you're not as lazy as I am. You might try it and see how it works--if it doesn't, then replace the zipper.
carolynw said... (1/3/07 9:35 AM) Reply
Looks good - would have passed this pattern over but your review makes me think I should add it to the list - although New Year's resolution is to buy less!!
jlg said... (1/3/07 5:34 AM) Reply
This is very cute. I want this pattern now.
angi_nagel said... (1/3/07 2:06 AM) Reply
Great top - it looks very rtw!
krystalkaes said... (1/3/07 1:51 AM) Reply
Very cute.
jnamcd said... (1/2/07 10:04 PM) Reply
Nice job! And great review!
krinn said... (1/2/07 9:49 PM) Reply
I don't see why you couldn't adjust the pattern to give it a side zip. It is hard to reach back there. I actually originally just sewed up the back, and I could get it over my head, but I had to nearly dislocate a shoulder to get out of it again. I agree with the poet - I mean sewist ;) - that if the fabric had some stretch you might not need a zipper at all. And it is only lined above the band...
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (1/2/07 9:32 PM) Reply
I'd think that in a stretch woven you could skip the zip (hey, it rhymes!).
Leslie in Austin said... (1/2/07 9:02 PM) Reply
Very very cute. I would have missed this top altogether if it weren't for your review. Following Laura's train of thought: is the neck opening large enough for your head without the zipper? If so, a side zip would be great. Even if not, you could do a split neck in the back with a button and loop and put a zip up the side. Is the entire top lined? Or just above the empire line?
nancy2001 said... (1/2/07 8:43 PM) Reply
Cute top.
LauraTS said... (1/2/07 8:33 PM) Reply
I like the lines of this, it looks very cute. Do you think it could be adapted to use a side zipper? I always have a hard time reaching back zippers. :)

Wonder Wallet Paper Pattern