Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5191 (Jean Jacket)

Review submitted in 2012 Fabric Stash Contest Contest
Reviewed by:Sherril Miller

About Sherril Millerstarstarstarstar
Posted on:1/9/07 8:24 PM
Last Updated:1/14/12 7:02 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 34 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Dale C said... (1/15/12 2:26 PM) Reply
Neat jacket! Looks like the olive wardrobe is on a roll... :)
SewWil said... (1/15/12 1:29 PM) Reply
Wow! Your jacket is gorgeous. Great job!
blue mooney said... (1/15/12 6:43 AM) Reply
NICE! Hmm. Maybe I need to give this pattern a second chance.
Sew4Fun said... (1/14/12 8:21 PM) Reply
Sherril, great new jacket. I love your photos too. You look so happy.
RadarRadiance said... (1/14/12 7:38 PM) Reply
Love your fabric, great fit!
Sewmetoo said... (1/14/12 7:35 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket.
BeaJay said... (1/14/12 7:07 PM) Reply
Love your jacket - great job - fun material (and nice happy smile!!) I am still having trouble putting comments on your blog so thanks for posting it here. Great job. Like the tip about sewing the facing to the interfacing.
OP Gal said... (3/3/10 11:14 AM) Reply
Great review. I was searching the reviews, looking for a good pattern that would fit my hard-to-fit body. Your review told me what I needed to know; that this is a good pattern. You did a great job. It looks very professional. It fits you well and your construction, from the pictures, looks professional as well. What more could you want? Thanks for helping me make up my mind about which pattern to use. Believe it or not, this pattern is still available!--and on sale.
Elaine Dougan said... (2/11/07 9:47 PM) Reply
Sherrill, I am trying to make this jacket but am having a few problems. Did you treat the opening of the sleeve the way it describes in the pattern? I am not happy with the raw edge on the upper part of the narrow hem on the undersleeve. Also, how did you treat the narrow hem on the upper sleeve? Did you just let it gradually fold back into a full seam allowance? I know you used flat fell seams and I can't picture how you did that with the sleeve openings. Maybe I just don't understand the directiuons and am doing it all wrong. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. I should add that I am working on my second muslin. The first one was far too small in the hips.
SewTwin said... (1/25/07 6:45 PM) Reply
Sherrill, I purchased this fabric, also! I love your jean jacket styling. Your review encourages me to get mine done ASAP. Thanks for the heads up on the stretchy denim, I will definitely stabilize it.Kudos for the fit, wish I had you sewing eye.
cathy45 said... (1/17/07 1:04 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful on you--great fit, lovely fabric. Very flattering.
Sherril Miller said... (1/15/07 10:52 AM) Reply
Judy, the dart isn't stitched. The added length is necessary to go over the mountains. You do need to lengthen the center front pattern piece that this side panel is sewn to. This alteration is found in FFRP.
JudyP said... (1/15/07 9:26 AM) Reply
Sherril, This jacket looks great! Did you stitch the dart that you rotated to the center front? I can't tell from the pictures. The fit is great on you!
jbrewer said... (1/13/07 11:25 AM) Reply
That is a beautiful jacket! Great job with it.
Sherril Miller said... (1/12/07 7:45 PM) Reply
Pat, no shoulder pads. I forgot to mention that I did a sloping shoulder alteration. I cut away 1/2 inch at the end of the shoulder tapering to nothing at the neck. Instead of shortening the sleeve cap, I just cut the sleeve cap one size smaller and didn't have any problems fitting the sleeve into the armhole. The jacket has dropped shoulders. I think next time I will raise the sleeve cap and bring in the shoulders closer to my shoulder to get rid of the draglines down the sleeve.
Lisa Laree said... (1/12/07 3:57 PM) Reply
OK, Sherril, I just went to Hobby Lobby and took advantage of the 99 cent McCall's pattern sale to get this pattern...just because of this review ;). Great job!
cmarie12 said... (1/11/07 1:12 PM) Reply
Sherrill ~ this looks very pretty on you!
AnneM said... (1/10/07 4:34 PM) Reply
Wow, what a stunning jacket. Really, really pretty. Elegant, even. You just never know what fabric youwill find at Joanns!
Georgene said... (1/10/07 4:28 PM) Reply
Sherril this jacket looks great on you. Its a very flattering fit. Please post your other versions, I know this is going on your list of TNT patterns.
JenniferBee said... (1/10/07 3:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful Jacket Sherril, Love the fabric and a wonderful fit.
LornaJay said... (1/10/07 9:56 AM) Reply
I *really* like the look of the whole outfit.
slanden99 said... (1/10/07 9:30 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. I've got this pattern in my stash waiting to be sewn.
bonnie said... (1/10/07 7:59 AM) Reply
beautiful workmanship and great review
ryan's mom said... (1/10/07 7:27 AM) Reply
Great fit, lovely jacket! What more could you ask for :) !!
CarolynGM said... (1/10/07 5:53 AM) Reply
Beautiful fabric, fit, and workmanship.
lynny said... (1/10/07 5:24 AM) Reply
Thank-you for your detailed review. Your jacket looks great on you, fits well and the colour suits you well.
Danvillegirl said... (1/10/07 5:12 AM) Reply
Sherrill, this is a great looking jacket on you. You did a great job on fitting and it shows. I can understand why you would want to make another one. Like your faux chest pockets, another good idea!
CherylStillSews said... (1/10/07 2:21 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tip on rotating the fba dart to the centre front seam - I have struggled with what to do with the fba on a similar jeans jacket.
Jennifer shaw said... (1/10/07 1:08 AM) Reply
An absolutely terrific job and looks so beautiful on you!! Thank you for the great review.
Vonnevo said... (1/10/07 0:44 AM) Reply
A fabulous jacket and lovely photo Sherril. The fabric is perfect and the colour suits you so well.
drsue said... (1/9/07 11:29 PM) Reply
You really did a wonderful job on this. It fits you perfectly and is very flattering.
KarmenG said... (1/9/07 11:18 PM) Reply
Fabulous Sherril! You really have the fitting adjustments perfected! And I love the fabric choice. I like that color on you.
Riordan said... (1/9/07 11:17 PM) Reply
Very pretty jacket! Lovely fit and gorgeous fabric. Very professional!
Mary Stiefer said... (1/9/07 11:15 PM) Reply
Sherril - what a beautiful jacket. I love the pocket detail and, you obviously made all the right adjustment because it looks like it fits beautifully.
Kay Y said... (1/9/07 10:34 PM) Reply
Beautiful choice (fabric + pattern) and great fit. This looks wonderful on you.
frame said... (1/9/07 10:27 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great.
Liane M said... (1/9/07 10:19 PM) Reply
Sherril, your jacket is fantastic, and you look wonderful wearing it. Thank you for the review.
PatM said... (1/9/07 10:15 PM) Reply
Wow! The jacket looks beautiful on you! It fits you well. I am inspired to use this pattern for a jeans jacket.
PatM said... (1/9/07 10:14 PM) Reply
Cheryl Reeves said... (1/9/07 10:03 PM) Reply
Sherril, I love this jacket on you. You did a great job on the topstitching and the fit is just right. It looks great.
PVA said... (1/9/07 9:26 PM) Reply
Wow, Sherril, this jacket is wonderful on you! Beautiful job, thanks for the review. (Did you put shoulder pads in? I ask because your shoulders are so beautifully balanced with your hip-line, both from the front & the back.)
quilter55 said... (1/9/07 8:55 PM) Reply
Great choice of fabric and a beautiful fit on you! I have this pattern--now I'm inspired to make something with it.
LauraTS said... (1/9/07 8:37 PM) Reply
The fit on this looks really nice.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns