Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Great Copy> 2420 (Bristol Jacket)

Reviewed by:BeckyC

About BeckyCstar
MN USA
Member since: 5/8/04
Posted on:1/18/07 8:58 AM
Last Updated:1/18/07 8:58 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
AnneM said... (4/11/07 4:51 PM) Reply
Boxy jackets can be very useful for a casual occasion. Your jacket certainly looks nice, even if not the best style for you.
OP Gal said... (1/19/07 1:18 PM) Reply
Sorry the pattern didn't work for you. I love the fabric. Thanks for the review.
PattyGee said... (1/19/07 0:05 AM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. I think it looks really nice on you, but I understand about boxy - family genes you know. Can't wait to see what else your sewing up.
ryan's mom said... (1/18/07 7:41 PM) Reply
I know it's not your fave, but I sure think it looks great! Wonderful fabric too!
SarahWeb said... (1/18/07 2:40 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I am the same way--I like curves rather than a boxy silhouette. But sometimes a boxy style can be a very functional and comfortable piece, and I really think it looks good on you. I especially like the color.
BeckyC said... (1/18/07 2:33 PM) Reply
Thank you for all your kind words and suggestions for my jacket. kkkkaty I love the slimming lines of FSG jacket! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. For those interested, here is the website where you can see the jacket: http://members.tripod.com/NE_fashionsewing/1945jacket.html Thanks marylynn -- good to see you around again!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (1/18/07 2:24 PM) Reply
Very good review, Becky. Thanks
j222b said... (1/18/07 1:19 PM) Reply
I really like this jacket & I like it on you. How about a black zipper in the front or frogs....I know what you mean about the boxy look, though, I feel the same-I'm going to search for the Travelsmith, as kkkaty suggests.
kkkkaty said... (1/18/07 10:00 AM) Reply
Fashion Sewing Group 1945. It does look quite similar to the TravelSmith jacket.
kkkkaty said... (1/18/07 9:53 AM) Reply
I have the same fitting issues, and I think I need to do a major closet purge! I came across a clothing line by TravelSmith called "Seam Slimmer", and bought one of their jackets. It really lives up to it's name, a bit longer, nice flattering cut and seam placement. I asked for advise on this site (boards)about patterns with similar characteristics, and was directed to one, but I think it's construction might be beyong my skills. If you are interested, though, you might search for "travelsmith" on the boards.
RuthieSews said... (1/18/07 9:16 AM) Reply
I have a sort of rectangle top with a slightly peary hip and I have learnt to avoid boxy styles too. Maybe you can reuse the collar shape on a more shaped jacket body to get a look you would like.

StyleArc Twiggy Dress