Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4023 (Misses'/Misses'Petite Shirt)

Reviewed by:Chris Kelly

About Chris Kellystarstar
Member since: 10/2/05
Posted on:2/7/07 6:18 PM
Last Updated:2/7/07 6:18 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
AnneM said... (2/19/07 10:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful. The lace really makes it a special top.
Chris Kelly said... (2/16/07 7:31 AM) Reply
Up just what I did.
dreamdesigner said... (2/15/07 11:33 AM) Reply
Lovely. Interesting way of putting the insertion in the princess seam. At least I'm assuming you sewed the seam, pressed it open and then put the insertion on top, stitched, cut the seam away from behind the lace (which would basically be two layers- right?), and also cut the excess SA on either side of the insertion "header/pull threads" (after you most likely did a close zigzag to secure the lace? -it's hard to tell. I LOVE heirloom sewing, but I've never done anything for myself. This is definitely one to consider.
LiZ said... (2/9/07 4:13 AM) Reply
Your shirt is absolutely beautiful.
Patzee said... (2/8/07 4:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the photos. I've never seen heirloom sewing in progress, so this was a very interesting and informative review. I just love your blouse!
OP Gal said... (2/8/07 2:05 PM) Reply
Very pretty. I've done a little heirloom sewing myself--mostly nightgowns, and just love the look. I'll have to tackle a blouse sometime. You've inspired me!
Levone said... (2/8/07 12:51 PM) Reply
Lovely top....thanks for the step by step construction photos as well.
Puddin Pop said... (2/8/07 12:42 PM) Reply
Placing the lace over the seam and then cutting the seam out behind it is so cool!
PVA said... (2/8/07 11:35 AM) Reply
This is really lovely -- thanks for the review. I too haven't done any heirloom sewing in a long time. I've loved what I have done & still subscribe to Sew Beautiful. Hmmmmmmm. . . .
Irene Q said... (2/8/07 10:52 AM) Reply
Just beautiful! And I love how the lace insertion replaces the princess seam - might steal that idea sometime.
Rhoda K said... (2/8/07 10:31 AM) Reply
Just gorgeous! Ditto all the above!
cecelia said... (2/8/07 10:16 AM) Reply
Very pretty and feminine--and I didn't want an embroidery machine, dumb me!
carolynw said... (2/8/07 9:18 AM) Reply
Very beautiful - I love your work on this shirt - a real heirloom!!
Em's Summer said... (2/8/07 8:12 AM) Reply
What a very elegant and Victorian type top! Thanks for the instructions. I might have to try it! Great job!
Tany said... (2/8/07 3:59 AM) Reply
Thank you for a wonderful review!!
Linda G said... (2/7/07 10:34 PM) Reply
beautiful and nice review.
Peggy L said... (2/7/07 9:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I haven't done any heirloom sewing in a long time.
Sherril Miller said... (2/7/07 9:18 PM) Reply
Ooooo, Ahhh, pretty. And impressive.
Ody said... (2/7/07 8:10 PM) Reply
Absolutely awesome review PT!! The only thing I have done heirloom are pillowcases and wedding hankies with envelops---OK, tomatoes too. I have wanted to try the lace insertion technique and I think you did a fantastic job with the embroidery. Your design is well done, not too heavy for the fabric, and posistioned so that you have great balance on the blouse without overwhelming the project. My only complaint is how neat your new sewing room looks. Now I am going to have to start organizing and cleaning down here again just because of you! Super review!!
cindy-lou said... (2/7/07 7:58 PM) Reply
I have seen this heirloom technique in Sew News and have really wanted to try it. You make me want to even more-- your version is just beautiful. VERY nice professional work!
Elemenopeo said... (2/7/07 7:04 PM) Reply
It's beautiful without being over the top. Very well done.
Cheryl Reeves said... (2/7/07 7:02 PM) Reply
Very pretty. I love the lace insertion and the embroidery.
All About Linings