Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4132

Member since: 7/25/06
Posted on:2/7/07 11:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
AnneM said... (2/19/07 10:15 AM) Reply
I think that the style will look very nice - in a different fabric. Go for it! (Your shoes sound great. Perhaps a little jacket out of this fabric? )
SewTwin said... (2/12/07 1:01 AM) Reply
I have a few fabrics like this.Thanks for the warning.Good Luck on your next sewing item!
suzanrossi said... (2/9/07 11:05 AM) Reply
Thank you for showing us your "wadder". I always learn more in the long run from my "mistakes" anyway. (The fabric IS lovely).
ryan's mom said... (2/9/07 7:25 AM) Reply
Don't you just hate when fabric does this?!?! I'm working on two tops myself (with TNT patterns) and the fabric is necessitating some serious changes to prevent them from attaining "wadder status". But the fabric you used sure *looks* lovely.
OP Gal said... (2/8/07 11:15 AM) Reply
I feel somewhat redeemed by your review, although my problems were different. I tried to sew this pattern and couldn't get it to fit through the shoulders (I posted a request for help on the Fitting Woes thread) and finally wound up giving up after the second muslin. Your blouse looks considerably better than my attempt, though. I agree, the way the facing attaches makes it difficult to work with, but I've noticed most of the tops with a neckline like this have that same type of facing.
Nancywin said... (2/8/07 8:49 AM) Reply
Jane, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that. This was a flat fold and maybe if I would have just pulled it apart that might have helped - but I'll try your tip. Thanks
BeckyC said... (2/8/07 8:45 AM) Reply
I'm sorry the fabric didn't work for you, but it is a pretty wadder, even if it doesn't drape well.
Jane S said... (2/8/07 8:43 AM) Reply
It is disappointing to spend time and not have it work because of the fabric...ask me how I know:-) I did learn a useful tip about testing the drape of a fabric...in the fabric store, hold a long pull off the bolt by the corner of the selvedge and crossgrain and let it hang free to the floor. The size of the folds will be the size of the folds on your body. When you compare several differnt fabrics using this method, you'll see a real difference, regardless of the content.
Chris Kelly said... (2/8/07 7:44 AM) Reply
Sorry for the wadder, yes I agree in a different fabric it would drape better...that's for the review and the heads up in this type of fabric.
KathleenS said... (2/8/07 4:41 AM) Reply
Thanks for the helpful review, and for posting the photo even though you're not happy with it. Your photo does show the potential of the pattern (much more than the pattern illustration does). I made up a very similar pattern (McCalls 3397) using chiffon, as you suggest, and it turned out well.
JenSews2 said... (2/7/07 11:30 PM) Reply
Sorry it didn't work. Thanks for the warnings. I did like the color of the fabric though...it looked pretty!

by: meteor