Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 54337-1000 (Orwell Coat)

Reviewed by:Tany

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
Tany said... (9/16/07 4:43 AM) Reply
Thank you, KathleenS!
KathleenS said... (9/15/07 7:56 AM) Reply
I also only just saw this review. Your coat is amazing!! All your hard work was worth it.
Tany said... (9/15/07 5:16 AM) Reply
Thank you Sunny_D! If the information I provide is helping others, this makes me very happy!
Sunny_D said... (9/14/07 5:31 PM) Reply
Tany, your blog is excellent. I have saved it as one of my Internet Explorer favourites, and will refer to it whenever I'm making a lined coat. You really should write a book! Sunny_D
madhatter said... (3/2/07 4:42 PM) Reply
just can repeat what i said in your blog: stunning, amazing, adorable!
Vonnevo said... (2/23/07 10:27 PM) Reply
A Magnificient coat Tany :)) I have been following the progress on your blog. Your dedication and time has been well worth it. Congratulations and thanks for a wonderful review :)
Tany said... (2/23/07 5:09 PM) Reply
Markie: I couldn't get the pattern either! I used another pattern and altered it! I guess you can use any side panel coat pattern to do the same! Click on the second link on the Pattern Description above to see how I did this
Markie1 said... (2/23/07 2:29 PM) Reply
Wow, Tany...this coat blows me away. Your workmanship is amazing, your descriptions are so complete and helpful. But mostly, the outcome is a showstopper. Which leads me to my question...how can I , an American GET THIS PATTERN??? I love what you have made.
Tany said... (2/23/07 3:50 AM) Reply
Skymom: I did most topstitching free handed, being very careful and doing it slow to be perfect. On the front edges I wanted to reduce bulk so I tried to topstitch first by machine with black thread and then using the stitches as a guide; it worked fine and the black topstitching doesn't show at all!
Nancy K said... (2/22/07 5:41 PM) Reply
Really impressive. The fit and detail are wonderful. You definitely should move yourself up to advanced.
LorelleD said... (2/22/07 5:04 PM) Reply
Wow! What a great looking coat. You did a fantastic job. I found your review and your blog very informative. Thankyou
OP Gal said... (2/22/07 3:59 PM) Reply
Wow! That is some gorgeous coat. I can't believe you're identifying yourself as an intermediate sewer. This definitely puts you in the advanced group.
Skymom said... (2/22/07 3:12 PM) Reply
I'm in awe. Do you have any tips to share on keeping the handstitching to even?
Marhamner said... (2/22/07 2:05 PM) Reply
This pattern is spectacular, and you did a fantastic job! I think I'm going to have to hunt down this pattern. Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Karla Kizer said... (2/22/07 8:06 AM) Reply
Unbelievable. Great coat, great review. Excuse me while I modify my profile to change myself to "Beginner" (capital B).
SewVeryTall said... (2/22/07 7:35 AM) Reply
Beautiful work and documentation, Tany!
Lori V said... (2/22/07 7:01 AM) Reply
THis coat is amazing. I have been following your progress on your blog. Thanks for the details and the pictures.
Tany said... (2/22/07 4:23 AM) Reply
My thanks to all of you, you are very kind! About promoting myself to advanced: I won't do that yet and I'll explain why: I sew only to myself! I've never fitted someone with severe fit issues! I admire those dressmakers who are able to do fit miracles and I've never proven myself in that way... Also there are so many techniques yet to try! Charlene: I started to sew when I was very young and I've learned some techniques (cutting, thread basting, grading seams, pressing) from a neighbour dressmaker. I started sewing BWOF patterns and I bought their sewing book (Portuguese edition) as soon as it came out (there is a new recent edition); I took the drawings seen at my blog from that book and also the welt pocket with flap technique (I own many sewing books, some of them are American and I couldn't find that particular technique in any of them - single welt pocket with flap). I've learned patternmaking skills through the years (I'm no expert but I can manage) and I also own many books on that subject; I refer often to the site http://vintagesewing.info/ where you can find free online vintage sewing books. I like the "Modern Pattern Design" by Harriet Pepin the best. Recently I purchased some more American Sewing books and I like "Couture Sewing Techniques" by Roberta Carr very much (see my blog entry about sewing books; the other two books listed there are also very interesting).
yorkshire lass said... (2/22/07 3:35 AM) Reply
Oh my heavens, that coat is just the most stunning thing I have seen in ages. Absolutely amazing work, extremely helpful comments on the construction. You definitely should be ranked as advanced IMHO. Thank you for a wonderful review. I sat at work with my mouth open in amazement at the level of skill displayed. You should enter this in the Threads Readers Wardrobe, I am certain they would publish it, its just gorgeous.
lmg said... (2/21/07 10:16 PM) Reply
A coat worthy of a runway! Just stunning. Thanks for all the detailed notes and wonderful review.
PatM said... (2/21/07 10:15 PM) Reply
congratulaitons on making such a beautiful coat. Just looking at your pattern alteratins impressed me. I hope you enjoy wearing this coat.
Charlene McGill said... (2/21/07 9:15 PM) Reply
VERY IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for the photos. I enjoyed seeing the detail instructions. I admire you skills. what books you have used to learn the techniques you have displayed?
Zaneta said... (2/21/07 6:59 PM) Reply
Tany..I am so inspired by you..I can't wait to sew jackets..
hongkongshopper said... (2/21/07 5:36 PM) Reply
OMG - THE COAT IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING (and yes I am shouting!). Love the hand topstitching. I would love to try that. I already have a black bag and shoes with white stitching.........
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (2/21/07 3:56 PM) Reply
Totally fabulous coat. So nicely done. Tres Chic !!
Jan B. said... (2/21/07 3:29 PM) Reply
Fabulous!! This belongs on a runway.
Deborah L said... (2/21/07 3:04 PM) Reply
You go girl!!!, that coat is amazing, just awesome.
Gold said... (2/21/07 2:36 PM) Reply
Wow that coat looks chic. Great job.
Kay Y said... (2/21/07 2:35 PM) Reply
Your coat is a tour de force - just beautiful and so well executed. I have been reading your blog too and will go back later when I have more time to admire the great pictures there of all your steps. Someday maybe I will try hand-top-stitching, and if so will be sure to look again at yours. (I agree with the others - if only based on this project you should promote yourself to *advanced*.)
Avril said... (2/21/07 2:32 PM) Reply
Cool
mirielgw said... (2/21/07 1:46 PM) Reply
I love your coat!
Linda G said... (2/21/07 12:52 PM) Reply
Wowwie!!!! that is beautiful thanks for the review.
Stacy Sews said... (2/21/07 11:54 AM) Reply
I agree, you need to upgrade yourself to advanced! Your sewing is beautiful and so is this coat. Keep up your fantastic work.
Mlle Laura said... (2/21/07 11:43 AM) Reply
your coat is breathtaking! thank you for sharing so many detailed shots with us. I really can't say enough how fabulous it is!
Marji said... (2/21/07 11:34 AM) Reply
Just awesome Tany. I so enjoy reading your blog and the notes on your process. I'm going to have to get back there this evening when I have some time to spend there. Thanks for the great review.
Chris Kelly said... (2/21/07 11:21 AM) Reply
I bow to you!!!!!! Awsome and just beautiful!!!!!
maybbm said... (2/21/07 11:03 AM) Reply
You are my inspiration!! Great work.
Kitty Couture said... (2/21/07 10:44 AM) Reply
That's a fantastic coat, well done.
Levone said... (2/21/07 10:20 AM) Reply
Gorgeous coat and excellent review. I've been following along on your blog...thanks creating an English version also!
Puddin Pop said... (2/21/07 10:15 AM) Reply
How can you say you are just intermediate. I think you are very advanced. How meticulous you are on every step. You could be an author or a sewing book, if you wanted. What beautiful top stitching and how I would love to be able to make such a beautiful coat. It is gorgeous.
melgosews said... (2/21/07 9:54 AM) Reply
WOW!
LMH said... (2/21/07 9:52 AM) Reply
It really is the most amazing creation & the information you put on the blog is priceless.
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/21/07 9:51 AM) Reply
Oh Tany, that is beyond fabulous! What a great work, and thank you for all the wonderful documentation. -Ann
Ody said... (2/21/07 9:49 AM) Reply
Tany, I have read lots of your reviews and this coat is the best of the best! Are you sure your profile should not read advanced??
TwilaO said... (2/21/07 9:40 AM) Reply
Oh. My. God. You are amazing! I SO covet that coat.
Maychi said... (2/21/07 9:31 AM) Reply
Absolutelly stunning! Very impressive work!
trinicity said... (2/21/07 9:27 AM) Reply