Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3833 (60s Retro Shift)

Viewed 2096 times
Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:3/22/07 10:22 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
heapha said... (6/24/09 1:53 AM) Reply
I asked myself the exact same question about the dress, how did they match the fabric... what the hell is going on... the black and white I get - easy enough but the floral print.... I am baffled Anyway, I have to say thanks because it seems that every pattern I go to do you ahve been there before with all your helpful hints I am pumping through dresses.
Hilary said... (3/27/07 3:47 PM) Reply
I think it's wonderful on you! It's one of my favorites that you've made, actually. The top-stitching really looks great, and the lower neckline looks much better. Thanks for reviewing this!
AnneM said... (3/27/07 6:19 AM) Reply
They would sell more of this pattern w/ the pic of your dress on it. Cute dress. (I also love twin needles.)
Kathi R said... (3/26/07 7:18 PM) Reply
I just found this review -- thanks for all th details, I just cut it out for my daughter. Nice job, nicegirl!
LiZ said... (3/24/07 5:18 PM) Reply
Love your dress and the red looks great on you.
Celeste said... (3/23/07 10:10 PM) Reply
Love the dress! Take you shoes to an old established shoe repair place--they may be able to cut down that back part so it doesn't "bite"--my husband had some new shoes stretched a half size up and they are wearable now. They sometimes can do WONDERS.
Em's Summer said... (3/23/07 9:40 PM) Reply
What a fun dress!
OP Gal said... (3/23/07 1:47 PM) Reply
Adorable dress. You look charming in it.
ryan's mom said... (3/23/07 11:40 AM) Reply
Smashing dress! (Or should I say "Mod!" :) ?)
nicegirl said... (3/23/07 9:06 AM) Reply
Thank you so much everyone! I don't wear much red, I'm more of a pink kind of girl, but now I think I'll have to start! Everyone should get a twin needle if they don't have one. They are toooo much fun. Linda L-I got the shoes last year from a catalog and I am totally blanking on which one it was; not Newport News but sorta like that, except I think it's one with retail stores. I'm so helpful. However, I can highly NOT recommend them. They are the worst design ever. The back part is curved like a cobra to bite right into your ankle. The only time I've worn them is for these pictures and after the 15 minutes or so it took to take the pics they were already hurting. Ridiculous design! And so disappointing because the style is so cute.
Danvillegirl said... (3/23/07 5:25 AM) Reply
What a great dress! But I really love your shoes. Can you share where you acquire those?
Dale C said... (3/23/07 1:11 AM) Reply
Adorable dress! Red's a good color for you.
Chris Kelly said... (3/22/07 10:09 PM) Reply
Very cute! Nice Job!
Sew4Fun said... (3/22/07 7:59 PM) Reply
Love it! The topstitching really sets off the dress and I like how you tapered the skirt.
Pinkytoo said... (3/22/07 7:18 PM) Reply
1 word: Photoshop! Anyhoo, I love your dress - thanks for the blast from the past and for making me feel OLD! Signed, Made It And Wore It The First Time Around
sewbehind said... (3/22/07 6:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I like all the changes you made to it so that it totally flatters your shape. Great job.
Vonnevo said... (3/22/07 6:03 PM) Reply
Love love your dress nicegirl !
USMCMom said... (3/22/07 5:46 PM) Reply
What a blast from the past! I remember my mother wearing a dress like that! Now It's my turn. I'm glad there's a version with sleeves since my upper arms are definitely not ready for prime time. Also, great idea on toning down the silhouette of the a-line. It was too extreme and your version is much more flattering. I think those wider a-lines make you look like you're pregnant, but not yet ready to share the news!
CarolynGM said... (3/22/07 3:16 PM) Reply
Great modifications to this vintage dress. I like yours better than the original.
ladybegood said... (3/22/07 3:09 PM) Reply
I *LOVE* the double needle topstitching! Great job!
cindy-lou said... (3/22/07 2:19 PM) Reply
I agree, this is one kickin'dress! I'm in love with the twin needle topstitching. You've done it again! You've made me want yet *another* pattern!
Lisette said... (3/22/07 1:33 PM) Reply
Very cute dress!
tomed said... (3/22/07 1:27 PM) Reply
Very nice work! I love your choice of fabrics and the topstitching. Makes for an interesting dress.
Christina Sonja said... (3/22/07 12:19 PM) Reply
You have been sewing up a storm lately! Thanks for pointing out the neckline - I've noticed on my vintage patterns that the necklines are high (indeed choke-y!) relative to what I'm used to wearing today.
frame said... (3/22/07 12:14 PM) Reply
Looks wonderful. Great job.
jjwalker said... (3/22/07 12:04 PM) Reply
I totally wondered the same thing about the fabric from the original drawing!!! I had the same thoughts. I'm thinking blue screen/green screen - she has a sort of green outline (the darkheaded one with the flowered dress...) Anyway - I cut mine out yesterday and now I'm excited! Thanks for the review!
jessika said... (3/22/07 11:47 AM) Reply
Very pretty, you make so many great retro dresses. I love red on you.
fuzzygalore said... (3/22/07 11:43 AM) Reply
Oh, too cute! Can't wait for it to be warm too, especially if dresses like this are in the wings :-).
dbsewer said... (3/22/07 11:26 AM) Reply
Really cute dress and it looks groovy on you ;0
Seaspur said... (3/22/07 11:21 AM) Reply
Love it, it looks adorable on you!
squilts said... (3/22/07 11:13 AM) Reply
Yeah! I have been waiting for a review on this...it's on my must purchase list. Guess I will have to do a swayback adjustment also. Thanks!

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS