Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8232 (Very Easy Jacket and Dress)

Reviewed by:moss

About mossstar
Member since: 8/23/06
Posted on:4/10/07 8:21 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket
mlsews said... (9/13/07 10:22 AM) Reply
thanks, I've made the jacket and it turned out so cute I was wanting to make the dress. I really like the simple style.
AnneM said... (4/22/07 9:24 AM) Reply
I fits nicely, overall. Very wearable. I'll agree that you could go down a bit; the back looks to be a bit wide. Don't hesitate to use multiple sizes (I agree w/ Sherril that the size you used looks right in some areas).
Annette1 said... (4/13/07 1:36 AM) Reply
Smart aleck ... wish somebody'd tell me to go down a size or two. :o) I agree (about the neck). Otherwise, it looks GREAT!! And now, I will go forth and sew-sew-sew.
moss said... (4/10/07 2:03 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for all your help! I will look up that book, and next time I make this I will go down a size. or two :) Thanks!
Sherril Miller said... (4/10/07 12:20 PM) Reply
definitely need to go down a couple of sizes in the neck and sleeve area. It does fit well in the bust and waist, so if you can combine sizes on your pattern, that may work. another option is to do the FBA to a smaller size like others have suggested. It's a nice color and when fitted correctly will look really great on you.
Hilary said... (4/10/07 11:56 AM) Reply
Your dress is really pretty (I love that fabric!); I agree, I think you should have gone down at least one size (maybe even two) I second the Nancy Ziemans "Fitting Finesse" recommendation-I have used her methods with great success-I even sewed my own wedding dress with them, and my 3 bridesmaids, and they ALL fit perfectly. And using your upperbust measurement is what she recommends for chosing a size. Naturally you most likely will need alterations in other areas, but they are much easier to alter than the shoulders and neck. Your dress really does look well put together, once you take it in a bit more it will fit well too! Great review!
fuzzygalore said... (4/10/07 11:56 AM) Reply
From the little we can see of you, it definitely looks like you have enough bust that you should always be using the high bust measurement and making an FBA...
moss said... (4/10/07 10:22 AM) Reply
yep I made the jacket too. There are more shots in the album although my camera is not very good. :) Thanks !
Nancywin said... (4/10/07 10:07 AM) Reply
I cant see a good shot of the dress, so I'm not sure how well it fits you. If you had to take in that much, you definitely need a smaller size - maybe with a FBA. If you use the pivot and slide method (Nancy Zeiman's book "Fitting Finesse" it's not nearly as scary as it sounds. I always use a smaller pattern and then do the FBA. Makes the fit much nicer. Did you make the jacket too?

Understanding Interfacings