Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5314 (Wrap Dress (View A))

Viewed 2090 times
Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:4/28/07 6:16 PM
Last Updated:4/28/07 6:17 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Nancy Anne said... (6/1/09 12:27 PM) Reply
Just thinking about making this one (when did I purchase this pattern?), and was glad to read in your very entertaining review that it has an ample return: I was afraid of unwittingly becoming an exhibitionist at church.
Bobinator said... (5/16/09 4:38 PM) Reply
As always Cidell, another cute dress!!!
EdnaW said... (9/28/07 1:54 PM) Reply
Another winner!!
indianajoni said... (9/22/07 9:00 PM) Reply
"low bust" *snort*
Hilary said... (7/22/07 11:43 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! I just added this to my wish list-you did a great job and it looks beautiful on you.
PhyllisC said... (6/27/07 7:44 PM) Reply
Zexy!
roseofsharon said... (6/27/07 4:03 PM) Reply
Thank you for a great review. I like the way the dress fits you. I'm in the middle of making this for my daughter and I'm so thankful for your warning about the hem. I think I'll machine sew mine as well. Thanks.
QueenZ said... (6/13/07 1:29 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!!!
Kiwi Girl said... (6/2/07 0:35 AM) Reply
what a lovely dress ; looks great on you. Love the style and fabric
Phaedra28 said... (5/7/07 2:40 AM) Reply
Sorry, this is off topic -- Cidell, you do very good work, and if I were as gorgeous as you are, I'd post my picture, too! You look really great in all your pictures. Thanks for your reviews.
AnneM said... (5/6/07 3:12 PM) Reply
You go, girl! That dress just looks spectacular on you. Great color for you, the white with the blue/yellow/kiwi flowers. Very cute about the hem; I still have a skirt sitting waiting to be hemmed because of this very issue. (It is a goodwill skirt so I haven't been very motivated about it).
amyf said... (5/5/07 5:56 PM) Reply
Remarkable dress. Well worth the money put into it.
FuzzyNavelPeach said... (5/2/07 11:56 AM) Reply
Absolutely Gawjus! I love it.
nicegirl said... (4/30/07 4:32 PM) Reply
Love it! That fabric is so cute. Where are you in MD? If you're near DC we should totally get together and walk around being all cute and everything.
Jane S said... (4/30/07 7:54 AM) Reply
This dress is soooo beautiful on you; it was well worth the investment in fabric from the wonderful Fabric Place.
JeanetteE said... (4/30/07 0:28 AM) Reply
Wow! That dress looks amazing on you! Thanks for the funny review.
Linda G said... (4/29/07 9:32 PM) Reply
You did a great job it looks wonderful on you.
Christina Sonja said... (4/29/07 7:30 PM) Reply
Mile-long hems - one of the things we don't think about when we are in the middle of a pattern buying frenzy at the store. Well the result is totally worth it!
mochalover said... (4/29/07 7:05 PM) Reply
Love your dress. It looks amazing!
OP Gal said... (4/29/07 5:54 PM) Reply
Oh, but all that hemming was so worth it. Your dress is fabulous. It looks like it fits like a glove and the review was very helpful--and amusing. Thanks.
Erica B. said... (4/29/07 4:15 PM) Reply
I left comments at your blog... I must say again how fabulous you look.
Gold said... (4/29/07 3:34 PM) Reply
Love the dress and fabric. Looks good on you.
LBJ said... (4/29/07 2:08 PM) Reply
Lovely!
Em's Summer said... (4/29/07 11:31 AM) Reply
I love wraps and yours looks so pretty in the cool and happy print that you chose! You did a great job! I've been resisting this pattern, but I think I'm going to break down and buy it!
cindy-lou said... (4/29/07 10:54 AM) Reply
Cidell, beautiful dress. I did the Threads version (Simplicity) at 10 bucks a yard x 6 yards and it made me nauseus for days after buying the fabric-- but Lorna is right-- it would run you about $140 retail (I've priced it out in the same eyelet that I used at $139). GORGEOUS, baby!
MissCelie said... (4/29/07 9:55 AM) Reply
Karla and Beangirl, thanks for a good laugh! If it makes you feel better, I am immobile today after 90 minutes at hot yoga on Friday.

Didda, it's great for dancing. I was twirling and twriling in it when it was done.

Janella, it's a cotton shirting with some lycra. Very thin, almost see through. I wrote a little about it on my blog because I wasn't quite sure how to work on it.

MissCelie said... (4/29/07 9:54 AM) Reply

Lorna C. Newman said... (4/29/07 9:37 AM) Reply
Bet you can't find a dress that fits so well in this style for the price of the fabric ... I think you have a top quality dress for a great price!
Huldra said... (4/29/07 7:52 AM) Reply
Beautiful! Thank you for your great review. That's a really nice pattern.
Danvillegirl said... (4/29/07 7:34 AM) Reply
Great dress!
Marji said... (4/29/07 7:25 AM) Reply
lovely dress and your fit is fabulous!
janella said... (4/29/07 6:20 AM) Reply
gorgeous gorgeous dress! wishing you some 65 degree weather! I got some yesterday! I am considering this pattern! What was your fabric made of? It looks slightly silky?
LorelleD said... (4/29/07 4:53 AM) Reply
I enjoyed your review, this dress looks very nice on you, the fabric is lovely, well worth the cost.
Shazza B said... (4/29/07 2:29 AM) Reply
Nice dress, nice model. Somehow it wouldn't look quite the same on me!
sweetviolets said... (4/29/07 2:15 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress! I would bet it has a great swish when you walk. Great work!
Leora said... (4/29/07 2:02 AM) Reply
Great dress! That is one full skirt. Looks so nice on you!
gaby said... (4/29/07 0:41 AM) Reply
Wow, the dress looks fabulous on you!
ribbit2jen said... (4/29/07 0:29 AM) Reply
Great fabric with that pattern!! Love it!
SandraB said... (4/28/07 11:29 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!
MelissaB in WA said... (4/28/07 11:02 PM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous!!!! Now I'm kicking myself I didn't buy this when it was .99 last week at Joann's. Your review was fun to read - soon it will be hot and you'll wish it was only 65 out - lol!
beangirl said... (4/28/07 9:38 PM) Reply
Well as usual I agree completely with Karla, Jealousy Abounds. ;-) And, as usual, you've made a fabulous garment to fit your fabulous figure and written a fabulously nice review that makes it very hard to despise you and your fabulous figure. LOL! Really nice dress!
Enid E said... (4/28/07 9:22 PM) Reply
Love this dress on you!
Judy Wentz said... (4/28/07 7:33 PM) Reply
Great dress. It looks wonderful on you.
didda said... (4/28/07 7:28 PM) Reply

didda said... (4/28/07 7:27 PM) Reply
oops!
didda said... (4/28/07 7:24 PM) Reply
cute dress! i bought this pattern more than a month ago and i am still looking in my stash for something that is 5 yards so i can make it. the only ones i have found so far are some vintage "kettle cloth", which is a little bit heavy, i think, for this style. all the other reviews are for the ones with sleeves. i want to make the sleeveless one like yours. do you think it would be suitable for dancing?
Vonnevo said... (4/28/07 7:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful Cidell ! ! ! !
EveS said... (4/28/07 7:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress...just love it!!! And I thoroughly enjoyed your review...I'm going to have to read some more from you just for a few more giggles! :) As for the that-costs-how-much?!?!? issue, I was just there on the last dress I did and can feel your pain! For what it's worth, your dress looks like it's worth every penny and more - way more...AWESOME!!!
Nancywin said... (4/28/07 7:14 PM) Reply
This is one of the nicest looking wrap dresses I've ever seen. Thanks for the great review. I'm too lazy to make this pattern if it has that many pieces in the bodice!
maryfrana said... (4/28/07 7:10 PM) Reply
Gorgeous and fits beautifully.
Elemenopeo said... (4/28/07 7:04 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress - you are too funny.
carolynw said... (4/28/07 6:38 PM) Reply
Lovely in every way - thanks for your review which made me chuckle a lot - have been looking for a nice wrap style dress so will consider this and make lots of time for the hem that never ends!! It is really a FULL WRAP skirt!!
Karla Kizer said... (4/28/07 6:32 PM) Reply
Great dress, great review......though with your fabulous shape and those toned arms, save yourself the trouble of that wide hem. Wear a burlap sack. Fringe the hem.... Ignore my envy. Great dress.

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2011-114