Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> HP-104 (Cape Butterfly Top)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/2/07 3:18 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people

Other Projects by Ann Smith using this Pattern

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

AnneM said... (5/10/07 8:57 PM) Reply
Great top. Not too good on the large sizing, though, since I'm pretty small. I've been thinking I should get decorative thread for hemming w/ my serger.
PhyllisC said... (5/6/07 2:31 PM) Reply
Ann, you inspired me to get going on this top! I'm tracing it off right now. I love the ties moved over to the side - very chic.
chrisquilts_2 said... (5/3/07 2:01 PM) Reply
deleted --double
chrisquilts_2 said... (5/3/07 11:53 AM) Reply
Thanks--Sizing is an absolute can't use the RTW size and often using the size indicated by body measurements on the pattern envelope results in a garment WAY too big. I guess it is all about ease. Occasionally a pattern company will put pertinent finished garment measurements on the pattern envelope, but as many have noted...this often is inaccurate when compared to the tissue patterns! And stores aren't too crazy about you pulling out the tissue patterns to look at size before you buy!
Ann Smith said... (5/3/07 9:40 AM) Reply
chrisquilts: about sizing..... I base most sizing choices on my high bust measurement which puts me in a smaller size than fits anywhere else. It is the size I wore 25 pounds and 35 years ago. The theory is that above the full bust I haven't grown much. It is harder to change the fit in the neck and shoulders than elsewhere so I add on for the bust, waist, and tummy. I also measure the pattern and compare with similar clothing I already have. Hope this helps you some. And yes, large seam allowances at the side seams.
chrisquilts_2 said... (5/3/07 9:32 AM) Reply
Ann I love everything you sew. Everything fits you SO well. Can you explain you sizing theory? As I read your reviews, you never seem to sew the same size twice and also you mention sewing smaller sizes than what the pattern envelope might suggest for you. Do you use larger seam allowances? smaller seam allowances?
carolynw said... (5/3/07 9:32 AM) Reply
Nice looking top
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (5/3/07 8:54 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!
marjenann said... (5/3/07 7:45 AM) Reply
Just love this top!! Great fabric choice too! Definitely on my "wish list"!
JDpenelope said... (5/3/07 6:35 AM) Reply
Love this style and you wear it well. I would like to try the pattern, based on your review.
Schnauzer said... (5/3/07 3:41 AM) Reply
Gorgeous top Ann, it looks fantastic on you!
KarmenG said... (5/3/07 0:34 AM) Reply
Love it! The back is wonderful...thanks for the great review.
Soliel said... (5/2/07 11:42 PM) Reply
That's a very fashionable top, Ann.
hongkongshopper said... (5/2/07 11:36 PM) Reply
this is a very cute top! Love the print with the style. I wouldn't worry too much about the reverse showing.
Carolyndh said... (5/2/07 11:21 PM) Reply
I'm with the others--this is a very elegant top and you look wonderful in it.
lmg said... (5/2/07 10:05 PM) Reply
Ooh I like this version. Elegant and retro as you say. It's very flattering on you. Thanks for the review.
Karen8320 said... (5/2/07 8:43 PM) Reply
Ann, you always sew such gorgeous clothes and this is no exception. It really looks lovely and just that little bit different and unique. Yes, the cape collar and the tie neck are certainly flattering and graceful. You look fabulous in this top!
Lori V said... (5/2/07 7:47 PM) Reply
This is so pretty, I love it on you. I also love your garden.
kim*brown said... (5/2/07 6:45 PM) Reply
I really like this, and your choice of fabric print is wonderful with it.
Sharon M said... (5/2/07 6:11 PM) Reply
I really like this one! I made the cowl for my daughter and I've been hoping to find time to make this one for me. Seeing how great it looks on you just pushed it back up to the top.
Dmd4106 said... (5/2/07 6:07 PM) Reply
Luv the print. Very flattering on you.
OP Gal said... (5/2/07 5:56 PM) Reply
Your top is beautiful and you look wonderful in it. Thanks for all the detail in your review.
SueV said... (5/2/07 4:13 PM) Reply
I like this one much better then the cowl. This looks really nice on you.
Littlehuntingcreek said... (5/2/07 3:59 PM) Reply
my suspicion is that they meant to write TIE - because one view does have a tie at the neck, but hap a typo and it came out as TOE. It looks beautiful on you .
CarolynGM said... (5/2/07 3:44 PM) Reply
This view is just gorgeous on you. The capelet thing is wonderful.
Pattern Work