Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2003-134 (Dress w./ Dolman Sleeves)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:5/5/07 3:30 PM
Last Updated:5/13/07 8:46 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Heatherrique said... (1/8/08 9:33 AM) Reply
Definitely a showstopper, Cidell!
Sea-my said... (8/20/07 3:58 AM) Reply
this old model looks so modern now. Butterfly dress is too at time. Good!
PegL said... (5/14/07 11:41 AM) Reply
WOW! I missed your review the first time around but I must say I love both dresses, especially the LBD! Looks wonderful on you!'s going to be BWTF for me from now on!! How clever and totally true! lol
Erica B. said... (5/14/07 10:38 AM) Reply
You did a fabulous job! I love that dress and it looks marvelous in that fabric!
narcissaqtpie said... (5/14/07 8:31 AM) Reply
Wow @ this dress. I'm speechless!
Zaneta said... (5/14/07 7:09 AM) Reply
Love, Love THIS DRESS!! Great choice of fabric..
susinok said... (5/14/07 6:37 AM) Reply
Love the chainlink fabric with that dress! Great work!
fuzzygalore said... (5/14/07 4:18 AM) Reply
OK, much as I liked the black, I admit this is much better :-). Great job on the matching! And you should definitely trust Julia on colors, the coral is great. Now I'm envious :-).
Aixoise said... (5/13/07 10:47 PM) Reply
Stunning, Cidell. That print is fabulous and the dress suits your figure--and your personality--perfectly.
Nancywin said... (5/13/07 10:40 PM) Reply
Great looking dress! I saw this fabric on GT in the aqua. I had no idea the "links" were so large. Love it!
Vonnevo said... (5/13/07 9:31 PM) Reply
Love the coral dress, love the colour !!! Superb :)))
Bonnie O said... (5/13/07 9:07 PM) Reply
STUNNING! You were right to trust your friend's judgement on the colors.
Linda G said... (5/7/07 6:12 PM) Reply
Your dress is fits to a tee
Liana said... (5/7/07 9:54 AM) Reply
Great dress, and yes, you have brightened my day, too! :)
Christina W said... (5/7/07 9:52 AM) Reply
Fantastic! I have been eyeing this pattern too - it looks much better in your version than in the magazine photo. BWTF - that's hilarious!
madhatter said... (5/7/07 6:37 AM) Reply
you'll get lots of compliments with this - it looks beautiful!
j222b said... (5/6/07 6:16 PM) Reply
Your comment BWTF has me laughing. I have always loved the look of a black dress on a black woman; & I think you look stunning. Perhaps a pin or necklace or drop earrings would help the dress to stand out even more?
SandraB said... (5/6/07 3:14 PM) Reply
I love your dress. It is very flattering on you. BWTF!!!! You are too funny!! I can't tell you how many times I have muttered this to myself while trying to follow BWOF instructions.
Erica B. said... (5/6/07 2:36 PM) Reply
I commented on your blog, but I'll do it here too: It looks great on you!
illinicrna said... (5/6/07 1:16 PM) Reply
Looks great to me! Ha Ha BWTF!
Bonnie O said... (5/6/07 11:58 AM) Reply
I think the dress turned out great and you look beautiful in black. This is a nice business version of the dress but I bet a bright yellow version of this dress would look stunning with your skin tone.
trinicity said... (5/6/07 8:52 AM) Reply
wow,, this is one HOT dress girl
beangirl said... (5/6/07 8:44 AM) Reply
-cough choke- Well, I think it's fair to say none of us will ever look at "BWOF" the same again. Cidell, to be TOTALLY honest (hee hee) my first reaction to your photo was "What a great figure, what a great dress, hmmm... maybe that's not the best color for her". (And you'll note that I first noticed your figure and THEN the dress and THEN the color, so I think that's pretty good as a sewing goal). Everyone's right, this looks pretty fab on you . Quelle, I'm rolling my eyes here if you didn't catch on. ;-)
blue mooney said... (5/6/07 7:48 AM) Reply
That is so sophisticated and looks really current, even though it's from a 2003 mag! Fab look on you.
Nancy K said... (5/6/07 7:44 AM) Reply
Well you have a great lbd. This looks wonderful on you and the fit is terrific.
Danvillegirl said... (5/6/07 7:36 AM) Reply
Very flattering dress on you! Love the look of this dress.
MissCelie said... (5/6/07 7:14 AM) Reply
Everyone, thank you! I do like the dress and it's better in person. I just like me in prints or brighter colors. I think that it's a lot of fabric in a color that I am not great in. I also just bought a black car and have been wishing for the past six weeks I had gotten grey or red! I will make this again and be sure to post the photos.
MissCelie said... (5/6/07 7:10 AM) Reply
Katharine, last night it occured to me that I didn't use any stablizer in the shoulder seams. At 1:00 a.m. I started going through my RTW knit tops to figure out which ones had stabilization and why. I *think* you are right. I am going to put some clear elastic in the front shoulder / facing seams. Because that's where I took in a little to get the neck to snug up. As for the back, I never thought about it, or was able to check my back fit. This was the first time I've taken a photo from behind. I must have looked like a loon (or a total narcissist) on my back patio with my tripod yesterday.
HenriettenDK said... (5/6/07 4:31 AM) Reply
You look great - I think I've mentioned this before but you have the BEST smile - you'd look good in pretty much anything, but this dress is definitely cute!
Katharine in BXL said... (5/6/07 4:24 AM) Reply
Oooohh--you make that dress look *good!* It looks tres au courant. Perhaps the back neck gaping is due to you need a high round back adjustment or perhaps you didn't staystitch the bias back neckline right after cutting. They stretch very quickly from handling and usually Burda doesn't remind you to staystitch. (BWTF! ROTFLMAO!)
Tany said... (5/6/07 4:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful and stylish dress! VERY well done!
Zaneta said... (5/6/07 1:27 AM) Reply
This is just divine Cidell..I really love your work :)
krystalkaes said... (5/6/07 0:25 AM) Reply
You are beautiful. You are *funny*!
Em's Summer said... (5/5/07 11:48 PM) Reply
I love the style and I think the dress looks great, but I also think you need to trust your instinct and if you don't like that shade of black, maybe a deeper shade would work? Great job and review!
carolynw said... (5/5/07 10:58 PM) Reply
Well Cidell you have your LBD and it looks fantastic. Oh how I wish I was as slim as you!!
Nancywin said... (5/5/07 8:36 PM) Reply
Your dress turned out beautifully. You're right, everone needs a LBD, but I think you look even better in brighter colors. This dress looks very nice on you though
CarolynGM said... (5/5/07 8:32 PM) Reply
This is much nicer than just "ok." You look fabulous and very sophisticated in this. It shows off your figure beautifully.
2BSewing said... (5/5/07 8:31 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Looks great on you.
cindy-lou said... (5/5/07 8:15 PM) Reply
Cidell, Ihate to break it to you, but you would look good in a burlap bag-- not to mention a stunner dress like this one. Great work!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/5/07 7:49 PM) Reply
Stunning, love the style, you look terrific !
hongkongshopper said... (5/5/07 7:30 PM) Reply
Love the dress! You look fab!!
Lisa Merry said... (5/5/07 7:16 PM) Reply
This dress looks great, I love the sleeves!
Karla Kizer said... (5/5/07 7:12 PM) Reply
Great new name....and great new dress. I wish I had the issue of BurdaW?F. Your dress is beautiful.
dbsewer said... (5/5/07 7:09 PM) Reply
This dress looks really lovely on you. If you do it in another color, please post a photo.
sewbehind said... (5/5/07 6:55 PM) Reply
Thanks to you, I had to clean my computer screen. Laughed at your new name for Burda WOF. You look beautiful, as always.
FloraNature said... (5/5/07 6:55 PM) Reply
That's a beautiful dress, and a great review! I think you look fab, but perhaps you could turn it into a tunic, and make another in, say, deep purple if you feel this colour is too much on you.
popoagiesmiles said... (5/5/07 6:29 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. You look marvelous, and I've always admired this dress. If you don't like it in black, maybe you can either add some neckline accessory or make it in a color you like on you. But, the dress is lovely and you look great in it.
Christina Sonja said... (5/5/07 6:28 PM) Reply
Another great piece from Cidell! I like the shaping of the waist.
cindyann said... (5/5/07 5:54 PM) Reply
BWTF........hahahaha didn't catch that the first time around. How about teal green?
Vonnevo said... (5/5/07 5:51 PM) Reply
It's Fabulous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
busy bee said... (5/5/07 5:43 PM) Reply
I think you look cute, but I can't help but love your new name for Burda. Took me awhile to catch your drift.... :)
fuzzygalore said... (5/5/07 5:41 PM) Reply
Mmm. It does look good on you, but I have to agree that it'd be better in.. hot pink or something :-).
mochalover said... (5/5/07 5:39 PM) Reply
This is definitely a cute dress on you. We are always are own worse critic.
regine said... (5/5/07 5:32 PM) Reply
You are entirely wrong it is not "OK" it looks great, beautiful dress which suits you very well indeed.
cindyann said... (5/5/07 3:40 PM) Reply
That style is really flattering on you. You look fabulous.

by: Laurasews