Online Sewing Class: Leather 101
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 84915-1000 (American Casual Kilt)

Reviewed by:tiedyedrose

Posted on:5/24/07 10:51 AM
Last Updated:9/20/07 3:28 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people

Sew What Teri said... (9/19/07 9:58 AM) Reply
Thank you for this review, unfortunately my timing is off and your photos are migrating to Flicker from Yahoo.
AnneM said... (7/1/07 5:03 PM) Reply
Neat kilt. Great job, and it's always so wonderful to make something appreciated.
tiedyedrose said... (6/13/07 11:59 AM) Reply
rkell, you'll have to email me, and I'll try to send you some more information. jessica_schmenk at yahoo.com
Missy*spring - whereabouts in Michigan are you?
Missy*spring said... (6/13/07 0:18 AM) Reply
Hi! Love love love the kilt!!! We are also in Michigan...and my hubby is 1/2 scottish. Kilt wedding and our son wears his kilt to all big events. I hope you don't mind I forwarded your pics to my dh to see if he is "Brave" enough. I would love to have him wear one all the time...wink wink...something about a man in a kilt. :-) Great job!!
rkell said... (6/11/07 8:15 PM) Reply
I would love to get more specific info on the pleating and apron measurements. I, too, don't want to spend the money at utilikilts. I was hoping to get this information as soon as possible
Mufffet said... (5/30/07 11:02 PM) Reply
Great review and interesting web link to the Bravehearts in Kilts site. My youngest son was a groomsman in his friends wedding and all the men wore kilts...he kinda thought they were cool! ;) They all looked really good.
tiedyedrose said... (5/29/07 8:28 AM) Reply
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I have a lot of fun making these and would love to see more men in kilts! If anyone has questions about the construction process, feel free to PM me.
Irene Q said... (5/25/07 2:16 PM) Reply
What a fun review - and very helpful too! Could there be a new trend starting on Pattern Review??
Skymom said... (5/25/07 11:04 AM) Reply
No skirts for the men in my family, I think, but your kilt looks wonderful. I've always like the Utilikilts, and this looks just as good.
Marji said... (5/25/07 8:45 AM) Reply
Interesting review, great job - they are a ton of work to make. Love the Braveheart article too. My dh is one who would never be caught dead in anything other than a garment with legs.
jhansby said... (5/25/07 3:13 AM) Reply
Great job!!....And I love the link you sent for the Braveheart page!! I love men in kilts!!!
SaraD said... (5/24/07 10:12 PM) Reply
This is awesome! My freinds husband was just asking for her/us to make him a kilt. Thanks for the great information.
CSM--Carla said... (5/24/07 1:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review!! I learned alot. Looks like these would be comfortable! Carla
crystalwoods said... (5/24/07 1:49 PM) Reply
Wow! you have inspired me! Great review and great links to information. I can't wait to start one for my DBF!
ConnieBJ said... (5/24/07 1:41 PM) Reply
I have a Utilikilt and I love it - actually bought it for my husband but he won't be caught dead in it. Kudos to you for making it and your husband for looking so fabulous in it!
pterion said... (5/24/07 12:38 PM) Reply
I really learned a lot from your review! I had no idea there was so much fabric in there - your pictures of the pleating process are very impressive. And the Bravehearts link was pretty thought-provoking as well.
suzanrossi said... (5/24/07 12:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the fun and informative review. Enjoyed the Bravehearts link, too. I'd love to see my cowboy husband in one of these! Hmmm
Luckylibbet said... (5/24/07 11:55 AM) Reply
I'll never talk my DH into this- yours looks wonderful, and wonderfully comfortable in his. Good job.
frogs2 said... (5/24/07 11:42 AM) Reply
Bravo! wonderful kilt, great review! One of my life's great pleasures is watching my husband's pleats swing when he strides in his kilt. I'm particularly impressed with how the buttons provide the functionality of the sporran in keeping the apron closed. Nice job!

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2015-109