Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8185 (Strapless Dress)

Reviewed by:FuzzyNavelPeach

About FuzzyNavelPeachstar
Member since: 11/29/06
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:6/19/07 11:14 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
Catrinm said... (10/14/07 12:49 PM) Reply
Does the pattern tell you how to do the boning, I love this dress of yours, and want to try one too, as a bridesmaid dress, but I definately need boning!
Hilary said... (7/3/07 9:59 PM) Reply
Oh my, you look *gorgeous* in your dress!! I never would've guessed you had such trials to finish it-kudos for your perseverance-it certainly paid off!! I too can't believe this is only your fourth garment-well done!
Sheila457 said... (6/30/07 4:40 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress and love the fabric and ruffuled bottom.
AnneM said... (6/23/07 6:07 PM) Reply
Great job, and a great style for you. Congrats on fixing the size. (It's always a good idea to measure the pattern first; I'm learning to do that myself.)
EveS said... (6/21/07 11:42 PM) Reply
Despite whatever issues you had, the final product is killer!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/20/07 11:04 PM) Reply
I can't believe this is only your 4th garment! It's stunning and well done for having the patience to make all those fitting alterations - the fit looks fantastic.
lisaquilts said... (6/20/07 10:08 PM) Reply
Excellent work, great fabric choices, and a good save. Considering that this is your 4th garment, you're well on your way to becoming an excellent sewist.
Puddin Pop said... (6/20/07 3:22 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress and you look pretty in it.
Nancy K said... (6/20/07 3:11 PM) Reply
The dress looks lovely on you, but you definitely need to choose your pattern by your upper bust measurement and do an FBA. This measurement is taken snugly above the bust and up against the underarm and around the back at your upper shoulder blades. As for the hip, make sure that you are measuring about 8 or 9 " down from your waist. You can put narrow elastic around your waist and measure down and mark the spot with tape. Also, make sure that you are taking this measurement over underwear, not outerwear. In the future if you need ribbon try M and J Trim on line. Or if you want petersham, try thesewingplace.com
fuzzygalore said... (6/20/07 1:00 PM) Reply
Yes, trust me, this site will change your life :-). Or at least your sewing life...
Leslie in Austin said... (6/20/07 11:54 AM) Reply
I hope you do some serious strutting around in that dress, because it looks *fierce*! Gorgeous color for your skin and that ribbon is the perfect touch. The whole effect is feminine without being overly girly.
FuzzyNavelPeach said... (6/20/07 11:48 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone! FuzzyGalore thanks a million for those links and tips. I had no idea what a Full Bust Adjustment is, but now that I'm reading about it I definitely see why I have fitting problems. I ♥ this site!
moss said... (6/20/07 10:13 AM) Reply
Oh my gosh, it looks AMAZING on you!!! Really fabulous!!
coolobreeze said... (6/20/07 9:23 AM) Reply
I like that dress!
cindy-lou said... (6/20/07 8:58 AM) Reply
AWESOME dress! I think your save was made easier by the fact that this is strapless. I made several things that didn't fit before I figured out what 'FBA' meant, and that I needed to go by my high-bust measurement. They all were too big in the sleeves and shoulders. I was cutting 16's according to my bust, when what I needed was a 12 with an FBA. Learning the FBA changed life as I know it. --THIS IS A GREAT DRESS! Wear the heck out of it.
carolynw said... (6/20/07 8:43 AM) Reply
You look wonderful in the dress - well done!
Bonnie O said... (6/20/07 7:47 AM) Reply
This is only your 4th garment? Excellent job! It looks wonderful on you - that fabric is beautiful against our skin. It sounds like you were able to alter it to fit you correctly and fuzzygalore's comments should help you in future alternations.
MissCelie said... (6/20/07 7:00 AM) Reply
Way to save! You look stellar.
fuzzygalore said... (6/20/07 2:11 AM) Reply
Don't leave out the ribbon - it has an important stabilizing function! But satin ribbon isn't really strong enough in this case - gros-grain is much more stable and doesn't roll. Check out upholstery departments next time you're in the same tight spot, they may well have something usable.
More importantly, from the picture it looks like you're... way more than a B cup :-). This means for the big 4 patterns you'll have to go by your under-bust measurement to pick a size, and do a full-bust alteration, which you'll find here referred to as FBA. Check out this excellent page http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=9531 for all you could possibly know, and like most of us you'll end up using Debbie Cook's pages over and over, as she shows very clearly what to do in most situations.
That said, your dress is great and you look fabulous in it, which is the essential :-).
ladykicks said... (6/20/07 0:32 AM) Reply
There are no mistakes......just opportunities for a creative design challenge! Good save on the dress--it looks great.
Levone said... (6/20/07 0:27 AM) Reply
Pretty dress and it looks great on you. I LOVE your fabric.
eibhlin said... (6/19/07 11:55 PM) Reply
Wow!! Your dress is absolutely beautiful on you! So feminine, and I love your choice of fabric!
Aixoise said... (6/19/07 11:31 PM) Reply
Lovely dress and very becoming. Good job meeting the fitting challenges; the end product looks great on you.

McCall's m6389