Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3165 (Girl's swimsuits & wrap)

Reviewed by:MelissaB in WA

About MelissaB in WAstarstarstarstar
United States
Member since: 3/18/04
Posted on:7/14/07 11:43 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)
Hilary said... (8/6/07 6:08 PM) Reply
Great looking suit! Your DD is a cutie :o)
SewTwin said... (7/30/07 2:38 AM) Reply
You got me, I thought it was a review for an "Adult" swimsuit, but I was pleasantly surprised with the result..She looks just like you! I empathize with RTW, either pay an arm & leg, or be unhappy with the choices! Your result is better, and DH is right!
jnamcd said... (7/17/07 5:49 PM) Reply
Melissa --excellent job with the suimsuit--and I'm most impressed with the look of the foldover elastic. I'm going to refer to this review the next time I try a suit and try the FOE technique! Excellent job!
mewiththree said... (7/17/07 4:33 PM) Reply
That is the cutest suit! I have the same problem finding suits for my daughter, she's only 3, but she too is tall and thin for her age. And swimsuits are soooo expensive, great skill to be able to make your own.
Meredith P said... (7/15/07 5:09 PM) Reply
This is an adorable suit (as is the subject). You can tell she really likes it, which is a big hurdle. Why didn't they have cute suits or patterns like this when I was her age. A constant battle with my (then) "Puritan" mother.
MelissaB in WA said... (7/15/07 3:41 PM) Reply
Carolhope, I think the quality is better - it's made with more love, I know that! :-) Slanden, I don't know for sure how well FOE would hold up in chlorine, but since we mostly go out to the river for the kids to swim, I know her suit will be fine.
slanden99 said... (7/15/07 2:35 PM) Reply
Very cute swimming suits! How well does the FOE hold up in chlorine?
carolhope said... (7/15/07 12:45 PM) Reply
Oh, Melissa, that is so cute! Your DD looks so pleased. And...how does your suit compare in quality to the $20 RTW?...much nicer, I'll bet! I have been making DGC's suits for a few years, and one for myself last year. A lot of work in the bust area, but so much better than RTW! I line mine in the seat too, and they wear so much better, even in the chlorine pool.
sewbehind said... (7/15/07 10:26 AM) Reply
Yes, I agree, your daughter is adorable, also looks a great deal like you and the swimsuits are wonderful.
Stacy Sews said... (7/15/07 10:22 AM) Reply
Fantastic job on your 'first' suit!
Leslie in Austin said... (7/15/07 9:21 AM) Reply
How cute are those!!! Hey....maybe that's the swim top we need to sew for us. Looks about my size. ;-) Your daughter is adorable--the spitting image of you!
carolynw said... (7/15/07 8:55 AM) Reply
Great job - your DD looks a lot like you and I think the same build?
Danvillegirl said... (7/15/07 7:27 AM) Reply
Great job!
Sew4Fun said... (7/15/07 2:42 AM) Reply
Great suits. Once you start sewing swimwear for the kids you never, ever go back to RTW.
Vivienne said... (7/15/07 2:08 AM) Reply
You've got a mini-me! Really cute swimsuit (I'm amazed at how professional it looks) and I want one just like it!
Dmd4106 said... (7/15/07 1:58 AM) Reply
Really cute tankini. Thanks for posting. I hv alot of trouble "seeing" the illustrastion made up. This site is great
MelissaB in WA said... (7/15/07 0:34 AM) Reply
For the bottoms, you can do the regular bottom with or without the skirt. The skirt is attached after the bottoms are constructed. Then there is the string bikini bottom pattern - a whole different pattern piece in the group.
lisa m said... (7/15/07 0:32 AM) Reply
Is there a pattern for bottom that has no wrap or isn't string bikini in this one? I can't tell from Kwiksew's description.
MelissaB in WA said... (7/15/07 0:08 AM) Reply
Well technically no it's not my first suit. I made the boys suits earlier in the season, but out of Supplex nylon fabric and then I have been working on one for myself (the actual "first" with swimsuit lycra fabric), but the one for me isn't going so well. Not that the pattern is bad, the bottoms fit perfectly, it's the top and the lack of boobage that is troubling me! LOL Oh well, I took a break from that to make DD's suit and will hopefully figure out a top that fits my better than the one I was sewing.
pterion said... (7/14/07 11:58 PM) Reply
This is your FIRST swimsuit?! It looks very professional - especially the straps. What a great idea to use FOE. She looks so cute in it!

by: cleverkitt...