Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3032 (Skirt with Flounce)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:2/18/03 10:09 AM
Last Updated:10/10/03 11:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 11 people    Very Helpful by 29 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Formalwear    Suits / Separates    Skirts
ekhb said... (4/22/04 8:07 PM) Reply
Deepika, I love your blouse! If you made it with charmeuse or lightweight velour it would be very sexy. thanks for the pattern and for the web site. your fan, Emily B.
Lou. said... (10/13/03 7:43 AM) Reply
Thanks!
Deepika said... (10/13/03 7:21 AM) Reply
Thanks Lou, I bought this fabric about a year ago from Fashion Fabrics Club I also bought a coordinating yard of another novelty knit in Lime. Its a very pretty color and the fabric seems very soft. The recovery is not that great though. It's cotton/rayon blend.
Lou. said... (10/13/03 5:14 AM) Reply
Deepika, love the top. Where did you get the Lime fabric from?
Gigi Louis said... (10/11/03 11:03 AM) Reply
What a cute top - I might have to copy that as well!
Lisa Laree said... (10/11/03 9:59 AM) Reply
What an elegant looking top! I bet I could add a tie to Loes Hinse's Sweater Set shell (which is still just in the stash...) Thanks for the inspiration!
Tonia Van Dyk said... (10/11/03 6:50 AM) Reply
Oh Wow! Looks fantastic! Mind if I knock off your knock off?! ;}
Karla Kizer said... (10/11/03 6:50 AM) Reply
You've made a simple little knit top look very "important". It really has style and will be an eyecatcher whenever you wear it.
Deepika said... (10/11/03 6:03 AM) Reply
Katharine, I've never had a good luck with clear elastic. Last time I figured since it will be hidden by the cowl, lets try it but this time I knew that the neckline had to have sharp crisp edges so I used the fusible tape. I love this bias tape and use it everywhere!
Katharine in BXL said... (10/11/03 3:38 AM) Reply
Very creative! I agree--your top looks better than the BR one. Your stabilized seams really give it a quality look. Why did you chose ltwt fusible tape this time instead of clear elastic? (Clear elastic puckers for me too)
CatherineN said... (10/11/03 0:49 AM) Reply
You invented a good looking top that fits you so well. Looks great!
Deepika said... (2/19/03 6:01 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for such nice comments! This is why I love writing reviews and sharing my projects! Rhonda yes the fabric is stretch burnout velvet. This is the first time I've used it and I love the texture. At first I thought that I might need to line it which is why it was lying in my stash for so long but I dont think it needed it. Adele to raise the neckline (I raised it half an inch total) just extend the center front line on the front piece by 0.5 inch and draw the new neckline tapering where necessary. When you raise the neckline this means you will have to decrease the same amount from the cowl so mark a point 0.5 inches below the center front of the cowl . I used a french curve to join the points to the rest of the curve making it a smooth curve. Hope this helps.
eleda said... (2/19/03 3:42 PM) Reply
Deepika, your top is lovely and fits perfectly. I have this pattern and would like to make the neckline higher since it looks too low for me. When you shortened the neckline, did you add only one half of an inch or did you add one half of the neckline depth to it?
Rhonda Noah said... (2/19/03 7:20 AM) Reply
That is beautiful! Is that a stretch burnout velvet? It made up beautifully in that top. If it were for sale, I'd be buying, so I guess I'd better get sewing. ;-)
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (2/19/03 3:09 AM) Reply
Beautiful on you! You could have never found such a great top in RTW. Thanks for the elastic tip, I also have played around with it but often seems to stretch out more than I'd like.
alex said... (2/18/03 9:19 PM) Reply
Deepika, that top is gorgeous on you! You did a fantastic job on it! Phyllis, thanks for the glue tip - I had been just trying to use my fingers with that elastic after giving up on pins!
SouthernStitch said... (2/18/03 3:29 PM) Reply
Wow, Deepika, very sexy and romantic indeed!!
Maria Hatfield said... (2/18/03 2:54 PM) Reply
Better then "Ready to Wear" !! Deepika. its really nice.
AnneM said... (2/18/03 1:05 PM) Reply
That is a great combination of fabric & pattern. I love the fabric!
Debbie Spriggs said... (2/18/03 12:50 PM) Reply
Such a pretty top! Your gorgeous velvet is lovely fabric choice!
Diane E said... (2/18/03 12:34 PM) Reply
Deepika, this is beautiful! I love the color and texture of the velvet. Great MIL to bring you beautiful fabric! Also, Phyllis, thanks for tip about gluing clear elastic.
Marita Kinnula said... (2/18/03 12:06 PM) Reply
You have done something very beautiful again Deepika, it's fits you perfectly! And a yummy color too!!!
Peggy L said... (2/18/03 11:30 AM) Reply
Really pretty! I have had this pattern for my DD since you first reviewed it - I really need to make this for her.
PhyllisC said... (2/18/03 11:05 AM) Reply
Deepika - clear elastic is indeed really useful to stabilize seams knits. It can be hard to get under the serger (at least for me it is), so daps of glue (from a fabric glue stick) along the run of elastic keeps it in place while you sew (pinning is just impossible). A little goes a long way, and it doesn't have any detrimental effect on either your needles or the serger knife. The glue is water soluble and always washs out. I also use glue sticks to turn up hems on knits before I stitch them. I guess I should post this in tips & techniques...
Lisa Laree said... (2/18/03 10:55 AM) Reply