Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> HP-104 (Butterfly Top)

Reviewed by:Barbara at Cat Fur Studio

About Barbara at Cat Fur Studiostarstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:7/30/07 8:02 PM
Last Updated:7/30/07 8:02 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
turnerkatie said... (9/17/12 11:44 PM) Reply
i cant find this pattern for sale :(
Athene said... (12/6/08 0:57 AM) Reply
A very pretty look.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (8/3/07 9:39 AM) Reply
Thanks, Dina! I sent a pic to HP earlier this week.
Dmd4106 said... (8/2/07 9:27 PM) Reply
OMG. This pattern was made for you. The drape is sheer perfection. This is one you send to HP for the sorely lack photo gallery. Thank you for the great review.
ldpaulson said... (7/31/07 6:21 PM) Reply
Thanks! Sometimes with prints so adventurous, it helps to have a little encouragement to consider them. And especially because I'm a solid-solid-solid wardrobe kinda gal. I wore a print top last week and never got so many compliments ... it emboldened me! Thank you so much for your kind encouragement. Now to just get the sewing machine back from repair!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (7/31/07 5:07 PM) Reply
Oh, yes, LD - that print is great. I love how you plan to wear it. That will be a smashing outfit!
ldpaulson said... (7/31/07 1:25 PM) Reply
Thanks Barbara! Those are very helpful comments. I thought this fabric http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-26239499928554_1959_0 captured the retro spirit of the top and might be great for a first go at this top. (With the Hot Patterns Trouser Skirt or a full a-line skirt in red and chocolate boots or red peep toe pumps!) This blouse style can be worn all year 'round where I live.
Modiste Madness said... (7/31/07 12:50 PM) Reply
That looks wonderful on you!
gatorgirl4325 said... (7/31/07 12:14 PM) Reply
Your top is beautiful!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (7/31/07 11:42 AM) Reply
Thanks! LD - Jersey will work very well. I suggest you stay with a lightweight single knit jersey - rayon or silk or lightweight polyester or wool- all with or without lycra - will be good. Cotton is 'doable' but less intrinsically drapy, unless it is super light weight. As for whether to use a print - I deliberately did NOT use a print, as I wanted the drape to speak loudly. I think this depends on what you want to achieve (sorry...not too helpful but that's the best I can do). If you want to post a pic of the fabric you're thinking of, I'd be glad to give you my thoughts on it. Good luck, and thanks for commenting.
ldpaulson said... (7/31/07 11:23 AM) Reply
Barbara, that's a very beautiful and flattering top. Wonderful. Since this pattern is on my to-do list and you mention fabric choice as key, would you say jersey would be a poor fabric choice? What about prints? I appreciate your review and would look forward to reading your opinions.
cindyann said... (7/31/07 10:52 AM) Reply
Lovely top. The fabric choice is perfect for this style.
hongkongshopper said... (7/31/07 0:33 AM) Reply
Looks great!
Stacy Sews said... (7/31/07 0:14 AM) Reply
OOOh, I love it!
Marji said... (7/31/07 0:05 AM) Reply
That really works!, most likely due to your excellent fabric choice.
Levone said... (7/30/07 11:01 PM) Reply
Cute top! Yours definitely looks better than the pattern picture. Thank goodness I have more projects than I can handle otherwise I would probably pick up this pattern as well. :-)
Diane E said... (7/30/07 10:09 PM) Reply
Barbara, your top is beautiful on you and I really enjoyed reading your review. I am definitely moving this pattern to the top of my pattern stack!! Thanks for the heads-up on the neckline trickiness!
nicegirl said... (7/30/07 10:01 PM) Reply
That's a very dramatic piece--I love it!
Sew4Fun said... (7/30/07 9:55 PM) Reply
Fab top! I think your fabric choice really makes it.
beangirl said... (7/30/07 9:14 PM) Reply
What a great top! This looks fab on you, I could see it made up in anything from very casual to super-dressy fabrics and it would look great.
CarolynGM said... (7/30/07 8:55 PM) Reply
The drape on this pattern is gorgeous. It shows up very well in the solid color you chose.

The Technique of Underlining Garments