Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2777 (Men's Shirts)

Reviewed by:julesberry

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Shirts

Sweater knit fabrics

bunz said... (9/16/07 7:05 PM) Reply
Wow! Lucky husband........and this is a muslin?
crisford said... (9/16/07 4:45 PM) Reply
He looks awesome! Great job, love the fabric and fit.
jessika said... (9/16/07 2:23 PM) Reply
Very nice color and perfect for warm weather.
Heatherrique said... (9/16/07 1:56 PM) Reply
Great shirt for men! I need to look more into KS patterns! Very photogenic model! Thanks for sharing your review!
carolynw said... (9/16/07 9:35 AM) Reply
Great job - both shirts look good !
Hilary said... (9/16/07 9:24 AM) Reply
Both shirts look great! Well done!
Vonnevo said... (9/16/07 4:33 AM) Reply
Great job Jules ! I like the smiling pic too :)
julesberry said... (8/18/07 0:45 AM) Reply
sophronia: Unless you do 'em by hand, buttonhole quality is, I think, pretty much all sewing machine. I have a Janome Super Quilt DX (mechanically the same as the "foreign" 6600 version). In general it does a stonking job stitching through thick layers, and all I have to do is fall asleep with my foot on the pedal and that's another buttonhole done. Having said that I messed it up on this shirt because the placement was not right for the top button, being too far from the CF edge. So I ended up cutting the hole longer, doing some more stitching and liberally applying a fray-checking potion. It is a mess but this was only a practice, so I wanted to experiment in the hope of getting it right next time. I haven't yet studied the pattern to see if this that was my fault or a pattern fault. My husband and I also both thought the buttonholes on the cuffs were a bit far in as well, but I've left them as the are for now.
Lou05 said... (8/17/07 9:49 PM) Reply
I know you'll get the fit you want as you do your next one. Check out other styles as we also do dress fronts without the band and other collar shapes. This one does show off your skills and is really a nice job.
sophronia said... (8/17/07 6:06 PM) Reply
The shirt looks good on your man. How did you do the buttonholes? I have a problem with making a buttonhole in the collar stand.
fuzzygalore said... (8/17/07 4:15 PM) Reply
You're spoiling this man rotten :-). This does look very sharp (do you know how to do a burn test for fabric content?), but you're right about the looser american fit. I've started wearing much tighter shirts in the last couple years since I moved to France myself...
rivergum said... (8/17/07 2:16 AM) Reply
I am so impressed. This shirt looks great!
Elona said... (8/16/07 11:47 AM) Reply
I think you did a lovely job. It's a very handsome shirt. But you're right: Kwik Sew classic shirts generally are VERY full. However, they do have a newer, closer-fitting version, #3022, which has been favorably reviewed here twice. For some reason, it doesn't show up in their online catalogue, but I notice that it's available through PR.
Meredith P said... (8/16/07 10:41 AM) Reply
This is definitely an "American" fit. I think generally, in the US, there is more to cover up :-) Irene gave you one of the best tips I've *ever* learned, to assist with topstitiching or even just sewing. So clever and practical. I think the shirt looks great! Would a Burda provide a more "European" fit?
JuliaS said... (8/16/07 10:08 AM) Reply
This looks fantastic! I am way impressed with your shirtmaking skills. :)
Annie- oh said... (8/16/07 9:44 AM) Reply
Enjoyed your review! I make this pattern for my 6'3" DH, lengthening the body and sleeves. I wonder if your fit would simply be better with a smaller size (the 2D shape), still lengthening for the vertical D? Also possible: a fabric that drapes might not look so big across and around. Isn't it great that these men love the nutty fabrics sometimes?
mastdenman said... (8/16/07 9:43 AM) Reply
I think men's shirts are supposed to hang over the shoulder a little. Your DH's shirt looks great.
Irene Q said... (8/16/07 9:03 AM) Reply
Great job, even if the fit isn't what you want! Louise Cutting has a great tip for topstitching collars. When you get to the corners, you need to put something under the other side (and back) of the presser foot to get it to feed properly. The handiest thing is to use the other end of the collar. You only need it for a few stitches. Try it!

Folkwear 207