Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 11-2006-116 (Wrap-over sweatshirt)

Reviewed by: LoriB

About LoriBstarstar
Member since: 4/23/02
Posted on:9/5/07 8:50 PM
Last Updated:9/5/07 8:54 PM

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

canei said... (8/12/08 8:51 AM) Reply
hi, that top looks great. what's the burda pattern number? thanks!
megbud3000 said... (9/11/07 5:24 AM) Reply
Looks very stylish.
sewkiwi said... (9/7/07 3:10 AM) Reply
I have this nearly finished. Just the sleeves to go. I had the same problems and thought it would be quick but couldn't quite figure out the instructions until I realised the wrong side of the collar is showing. I was wary but it actually looks ok. I will get it finished and reviewed. Your top looks great.
Heatherrique said... (9/6/07 7:17 PM) Reply
Very attractive!
Sewingmi said... (9/6/07 7:07 PM) Reply
The top turned out very nice...I enjoyed your review!
bunz said... (9/6/07 4:31 PM) Reply
Really, really great top!
utz said... (9/6/07 8:16 AM) Reply
Very nice. Your choice of thinner fabric than the sweatshirt recommended was a good idea. When I made it (for stash reduction) I used heavier stuff, which make those diagonal 'feature pulls' a little too much and I lost a lot of wearing ease. As for the 90 degree corner at shoulder, that was tricky - I had to pull out sewing books on that one - I think I read about inserting godets - corners inserted into corners - luckily I had marked the seam line. Your's turned out very pretty!
fuzzygalore said... (9/6/07 4:29 AM) Reply
You can just use clear elastic to stabilize your seams, if you're not in Germany. But the diagonal folds are because you weren't aware of the top being larger than the bottom - you're no doubt meant to gather the extra ease under the bust, which would make a gentle poof in the right place, instead of distributing the extra ease all over.
morzel said... (9/6/07 2:08 AM) Reply
In the german edition they make you use "Vliesline Formband", a well known product of a company called "Freudenberg".It is a bias tape with a row of stitches in it and is use to stabilize seams that are cut on bias or are of stretchy knits. So, to stabilize the seams with fusible tape is exactly the thing "they" ment you to do! Your shirt looks good! I also sewed this shirt in a thick interlock last winter and liked it.
Grammy Gin said... (9/6/07 1:36 AM) Reply
Really detailed report, nice top, too!
Speech girl said... (9/5/07 11:24 PM) Reply
Your top is very pretty.
Copper7 said... (9/5/07 10:12 PM) Reply
I saw on another board where the "Vilene Fuse and Fold" was indeed a typo by Burda (which they are aware of). The correct product should been (as you guessed) Vilene Bias Tape.
Elemenopeo said... (9/5/07 9:53 PM) Reply
Great helpful review - lovely top. I liked that pattern in the mag and really love yours.
MelissaB in WA said... (9/5/07 9:00 PM) Reply
Very pretty top! I made that last winter and wore mine a lot - it's so comfy yet stylish!

Towne Purse Paper Pattern