Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4919 (Retro '52 Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:9/22/07 5:47 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 8 people    Very Helpful by 30 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
chucklehead said... (8/27/14 7:06 PM) Reply
You are stunning! I just pulled this from the stash and now that I see yours, am wondering why did I never make this dress?
Veronimuse said... (4/19/11 2:02 PM) Reply
I love, love, LOVE that you said "run run run to the bargain fabric bin!" My kind of thinking EXACTLY! :-) Gorgeous dress, looks great on you. Can't wait to order the pattern--and raid the bargain fabric bin shortly thereafter! :-)
FreyaStark said... (5/7/10 6:54 PM) Reply
A gorgeous dress. It looks great on you.
Trenessa said... (1/31/08 4:55 PM) Reply
I just made this dress, finishing the hem, I'm quite pleased with it. It's similar to your's in that my fabric is striped as well, I hope to post a pic soon. (your's looks great btw) Wanted to thank you, I didn't realize until I read your review that the panels attach under the dress, before you zip up! It's amazing how things work out when do what you're supposed to!!
Tearsa said... (11/5/07 7:59 AM) Reply
This is SOOO "southern pretty." You look like you are one of the high society women of leisure enjoying tea on your porch! 2 thumbs up!
AlexaNJ said... (10/12/07 10:45 PM) Reply
What a wonderful dress! I love how the stripes - um, I guess chevron is the word? Love it. Great job!
ariesluv4u said... (10/10/07 9:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!! I don't have the guts to sew stripes in a pattern like this. I absolutely love this!
Anabolina said... (10/3/07 2:22 PM) Reply
Wow, this is one I've been on the fence about, but its so going to be one I sew for my vacation. It looks great on you.
Bonny Dune said... (10/2/07 12:08 PM) Reply
Cidell, you look FABULOUS!! After reading your review I want to drop everything and make this dress. Just wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to review it.
CarolynGM said... (10/1/07 3:02 PM) Reply
Heck of a stunning dress.
mewiththree said... (9/25/07 1:37 PM) Reply
That looks great! Great figure too!
CarolynD said... (9/25/07 0:23 AM) Reply
Fab! You're a natural at choosing the right fabric for the pattern. A+++++ Looks great on you.
MelissaB in WA said... (9/25/07 0:21 AM) Reply
Wowzers Cidell, that is one gorgeous dress!!! I think I need one too and I love that there are no bust darts, maybe it will fit my flat chest???? ;-)
Danvillegirl said... (9/24/07 8:35 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. You wear it well!
Bonnie O said... (9/24/07 2:35 PM) Reply
You are the queen of using the pattern in the fabric to create a very complex look! I love this dress on you!
DorothyK said... (9/24/07 12:53 PM) Reply
This is perfect. I love what you've done with the stripes.
gatorgirl4325 said... (9/24/07 11:03 AM) Reply
Love it! You chose a great fabric for that dress.
Karen6790 said... (9/24/07 10:44 AM) Reply
I have to get this pattern - it looks absolutely adorable on you, and not having to search out a special bra for it makes it just about perfect. 5 yards? Ack, none of my stash is that big. A reason to buy more! Great dress, great review.
Hilary said... (9/24/07 10:34 AM) Reply
looks GREAT! I wouldn't have given this a second glance from the cover, but yours looks beautiful in this (fantastic!) bargain fabric! :o)
hongkongshopper said... (9/23/07 9:39 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! The stripes look wonderful.
mlsews said... (9/23/07 9:13 PM) Reply
How adorable. I've been toying with making this pattern for a formal event- looks like I'm going to have to. Its so cute.
cindyann said... (9/23/07 4:55 PM) Reply
Lovely as always. You have such a knack for picking styles that are perfect for you.
Sharon M said... (9/23/07 4:31 PM) Reply
Beautiful as usual! This is quite lovely on you and hardly looks vintage at all.
bunz said... (9/23/07 2:54 PM) Reply
Pretty, prettty, pretty!
Grammy Gin said... (9/23/07 1:48 PM) Reply
You're just too cute!!
meanjean said... (9/23/07 11:50 AM) Reply
Wow! You look gorgeouse in your dress. Nice style for you.
crisford said... (9/23/07 11:36 AM) Reply
You look fabulous! I love the effect of the stripes!
OP Gal said... (9/23/07 10:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and you look fabulous in it. I'd kill for your tiny waist! I saw that fabric on FM and thought about buying some for a shirt. It really made up beautifully in that pattern.
sewfrequent said... (9/23/07 9:32 AM) Reply
Cidell, your clothes are so wonderful and everything fits to perfection. I don't know how you do it!
Fran G said... (9/23/07 7:52 AM) Reply
Cidell, you look so sweet in this dress..love it..great fit!
Darla in PA said... (9/23/07 7:37 AM) Reply
Oh, the dress is gorgeous!
Robbie Jo said... (9/23/07 7:19 AM) Reply
Fabulous!! I wouldn't have looked twice at this pattern because I thought it was a halter. Been looking for a dress for a Christmas party--this might be the one. BTW, loved your bio. My mother and I sew, but my dd's don't. Maybe my DGD will ;)
Tany said... (9/23/07 5:17 AM) Reply
Wow, Cidell, this dress is beyond GORGEOUS!!!
madhatter said... (9/23/07 5:12 AM) Reply
love.this.dress. so stylish, and it suits you so well! a head-turner!
Christina Sonja said... (9/23/07 1:09 AM) Reply
What a curvy look! It's lovely...
yaiAnn said... (9/23/07 1:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
aprilsweetie said... (9/23/07 0:52 AM) Reply
Another one of your fabulous projects, I wish I had your skills!!!
Marilyn N. said... (9/23/07 0:47 AM) Reply
The fabric & pattern look wonderful together, a total success!
Izzie said... (9/22/07 11:46 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress! Love it!
SandraB said... (9/22/07 11:02 PM) Reply
Really nice Cidell. This dress is very flattering on you.
ladybegood said... (9/22/07 10:14 PM) Reply
Gasp! I love it! I must do this dress in stripes. Pardon me as I run off to the bargain bin...
KathleenS said... (9/22/07 10:01 PM) Reply
Your dress looks very wearable and not obviously retro (which is a good thing in my opinion). I like that it's not a halter dress - thanks for pointing that out. Oh, it looks great by the way! Forgot to mention that :)
Skymom said... (9/22/07 9:44 PM) Reply
I think it really looks up-to-date, even though you used a vintage pattern. Love the stripes.
ELizabeth_Atl said... (9/22/07 9:37 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! You look stunning. What a fun piece!
Lori V said... (9/22/07 9:35 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress.
ryan's mom said... (9/22/07 9:33 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh! Gorgeous. Just gorgeous!!
kim*brown said... (9/22/07 9:27 PM) Reply
I really like this on you!
Enid E said... (9/22/07 9:08 PM) Reply
I think you need to contact a modeling agency or they should contact you!!! Your sense of style and your figure always flatter the pattern.. Love your work!
Kellie R. said... (9/22/07 8:53 PM) Reply
I made this dress too and wrote a review a while ago. I loved the same things as you - the look of a halter but with a full back. It's very flattering on you and the fabric is great!
Nancywin said... (9/22/07 8:52 PM) Reply
This looks beautiful on you.
svenskaflicka said... (9/22/07 7:55 PM) Reply
Wow, you're so hot they had to get out the fire hoses, eh? :) Wonderful dress and nice choice of fabric.
sew2little said... (9/22/07 7:25 PM) Reply
Sophisticated in a casual way--you look great!
carolynw said... (9/22/07 6:53 PM) Reply
Cidell I am running out of adjectives to describe your work - will have to do with absolutely 100% fabulous.
sewbehind said... (9/22/07 6:43 PM) Reply
That is beautiful, Cidell. You look stunning as always.
Cowtown Karen said... (9/22/07 6:29 PM) Reply
Love it!
PegL said... (9/22/07 6:21 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!! Wonderful use of the striped fabric and a great review!
Tiner W said... (9/22/07 6:12 PM) Reply
Ooooh! I love it! I have this pattern and would be thrilled to get a result like yours!
Marita Kinnula said... (9/22/07 6:10 PM) Reply
Cidell, this dress is sooo pretty, you look mighty fine:-) Marita
Annette1 said... (9/22/07 6:10 PM) Reply
Beautiful, Cidell! I love everything you make, and you look GREAT in it all, too.
Athene said... (9/22/07 5:57 PM) Reply
Looks beautiful.
So So said... (9/22/07 5:56 PM) Reply
Great result and enjoyable review to read as always Cidell. Great you can wear an ordinary style bra with this dress. Confident and elegant. All I need is a waist! HA!
Vonnevo said... (9/22/07 5:50 PM) Reply