Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2007-111 (cape/jacket)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:10/8/07 9:04 PM
Last Updated:10/8/07 9:13 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
Dei said... (11/25/07 5:22 PM) Reply
Girlfriend, That jacket is too cute! I'm willing to give it a try just because it looks so good on you. Congrats on completing it.
Tearsa said... (11/5/07 8:04 AM) Reply
Breaking up is hard to do -- but getting back together is so much better! Congrats on your jacket. It looks great. Never let them see you sweat!
Tany said... (10/11/07 9:36 AM) Reply
FABULOUS!
Mahogany Stylist said... (10/10/07 5:47 PM) Reply
Too cute. I love the contrast of the red buttons. Excellent work.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (10/10/07 10:07 AM) Reply
I love all the versions of this pattern that I've seen, congratulations for for completing yours, I would definitely need those prayers to get me through this but I am very tempted....
Heatherrique said... (10/10/07 1:43 AM) Reply
Absolutely retro, trendy, and ultra gorgeous at the same time!
CypGrl said... (10/9/07 11:43 PM) Reply
SO much prettier than the Bennetton version! I've got to quit reading and start sewing, but not up to this project yet.
snowflake girl said... (10/9/07 7:57 PM) Reply
Great jop on the cape, as always you ;ook fantastic in it.
narcissaqtpie said... (10/9/07 7:51 PM) Reply
I swear you're the bomb.
lmg said... (10/9/07 7:34 PM) Reply
This cape is worth every ****minute you spent on it. It's fabulous. I am still thinking about making this pattern after seeing all the great results. Too bad I can't be anesthetized first.
OP Gal said... (10/9/07 5:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful job after such a hassle. Way to go with the snoop shopping! I love the way you used your camera to document how you saved a bundle!
ChristineX said... (10/9/07 5:32 PM) Reply
We should all plot to take a trip to Burda in Germany and have a talk with those people! Their instructions are sometimes enough to drive you insane, I know!! You wouldn't know you had any problems though. Beautiful!! I love the red and brown combo--very 40's. =)
Annette1 said... (10/9/07 1:39 PM) Reply
I always admire persistence, and yours paid off with this beautiful cape -- and hoe about that PERFECT welt pocket? Great job!
LindsayT said... (10/9/07 1:27 PM) Reply
I love your honesty and humor! Kudos for tackling this tough project that turned out so well.
CarolynGM said... (10/9/07 1:23 PM) Reply
It was so worth the effort and frustration. You look so chic in your new cape!
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/9/07 12:19 PM) Reply
You get a great big gold star for finishing this and not throwing it in the UFO pile! It looks fabulous and you will look so good wearing it. (if it ever cools down on the east coast!!)
DorothyK said... (10/9/07 11:52 AM) Reply
Very, very cute. You did a great job. What a success!
DorothyK said... (10/9/07 11:51 AM) Reply
Very, very cute. You did a great job. What a success!
Sigrid. said... (10/9/07 10:27 AM) Reply
Big cheers for you for finishing this one. It was worth all your trouble. It's a wonderful cape.
madhatter said... (10/9/07 9:27 AM) Reply
beautiful!!! XD
Melody said... (10/9/07 9:24 AM) Reply
You look great in it, it came out wonderfully and you didn't have to yell at any Germans. That's what I call a successful project.
ribbit2jen said... (10/9/07 8:39 AM) Reply
FAB U LOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sharon M said... (10/9/07 8:34 AM) Reply
Yea! Congrats - you did it! And it is WONDERFUL! Looks great on you and I hope you enjoy wearing it. I'm certain you'll receive lots of compliments.
nicegirl said... (10/9/07 8:27 AM) Reply
Looks soooo great on you! You know I'll be having you on speed dial when I attempt this one.
squirrellypoo said... (10/9/07 8:12 AM) Reply
I am so happy you decided to finish this! I completely understand about the awful projects and the tears of relief... Wear it and feel a victory over BWOF every time you do!
ChristineBR said... (10/9/07 8:05 AM) Reply
You are as funny as it is beautiful.
Linda G said... (10/9/07 7:48 AM) Reply
Wow another beautiful cape. You did a great job....not only did you have a challenging pattern you had challenging fabric.
Fran G said... (10/9/07 7:21 AM) Reply
Cidell my " cape making sister"..you are too funny!..you voiced the frustrations of decoding this pattern much better than I and I agree with everything you said..well, maybe not needing the staple gun! It is beautiful and you look great wearing it. Your perseverence resulted in a stylish, sophisticated ,beautiful cape. Wear it proudly!
Elaray said... (10/9/07 7:11 AM) Reply
Cidell, Burda has taken me there, too! Twice! I know exactly how you feel. The cape looks great, though. And after the release of those deep, heart felt sobs, didn't you feel proud that you conquered this cape?
Marita Kinnula said... (10/9/07 5:17 AM) Reply
Cidell, you should be very proud of yourself!! you conquered the weltpocket:-)!!!LOL , it looks very nice and now you're ready for the next one right? the cape is beautiful, congrats!!!! Marita
So So said... (10/9/07 4:43 AM) Reply
Thank you for your frank and hilarious review of a great looking garment . I wil not be trying this out. plan to amke the cape from septt07 and the purple coat in Oct 07.If i can siz e the patern up froma petite and decide on a colour. alreadyhave RTW purple coat.You should be crowned BWOF Queen. Lok after tht cape youhave invested a lot of time in it girl! understatment or what!
yorkshire lass said... (10/9/07 4:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful and well worth all the anguish you suffered over it. The sense of achievement when you conquer the ****** thing and this wonderful end result makes it worth it though. Doesn't it???
Margie T said... (10/9/07 3:32 AM) Reply
Congratulations - your cape looks stunning.
gabrielle said... (10/9/07 3:05 AM) Reply
Not even for Gummi Sour Peaches? That is serious. I'll admire yours, but i'm not touching this pattern.
SillyValley said... (10/9/07 2:44 AM) Reply
Love the red buttons and you are right, that pocket is perfect!
Nancywin said... (10/9/07 0:18 AM) Reply
CONGRATULATIONS on taming the beast! It looks wonderful. I think I'm letting this on e pass - I've got enough stress in my life!
hongkongshopper said... (10/8/07 11:37 PM) Reply
You make me laugh - funny review! Great cape. I hope the staples don't rust in the wash..lol
Leora said... (10/8/07 11:17 PM) Reply
Great job!
Erica B. said... (10/8/07 11:16 PM) Reply
That is so cute! I'm so glad it worked out well for you!
MasoumaRose said... (10/8/07 11:12 PM) Reply
I'm so glad that you were able to finish this jacket. It looks wonderful--I love the colors and you look great in it!
cathy45 said... (10/8/07 11:12 PM) Reply
Hooray! Applause. Applause. It's adorable and you look fantastic in it.
MelissaB in WA said... (10/8/07 11:09 PM) Reply
Oh Cidell, I'm so glad you finally got it finished. I know what trouble is was giving you. I'm so scared to make this, but I am going to brave it and thankfully you and many other gals on our Yahoo group will be able to help me along if I get stuck. Enjoy your gorgeous new cape!!! :-)
Lori V said... (10/8/07 11:04 PM) Reply
Wow, Cidell, it looks fantastic. I love the red buttons. I bet you feel like you finished a marathon. You won first place with this cape.
Bonnie O said... (10/8/07 10:33 PM) Reply
YOU WON!!! Adorable color combination and as usual, you look gorgeous in it. Congrats!
Karen6790 said... (10/8/07 10:31 PM) Reply
Congratulations on finishing it. I don't think a month is long when the project is as frustration-inducing as this one. Only you will know what you suffered, because it looks fabulous on.
Seamingly Simple said... (10/8/07 10:26 PM) Reply
Why, oh why has Burda assigned this cape a difficulty of only three dots? Maybe if the instructions were better written or if they used this design for one of their sewing courses this would be "intermediate difficulty, for advanced learners." Congratulations on completing this one, Cidell. It sure looks fabulous.
Karla Kizer said... (10/8/07 10:09 PM) Reply
Groan......I bought 3 yards of wool tweed from Gorgeous Fabrics for this jacket. OMG. What have I done? But look at your results. It's a great jacket! I'll approach it with your warnings in mind - and a Valium in my pocket.
carolynw said... (10/8/07 10:08 PM) Reply
Cidell I am laughing at you - this is such a beautiful looking garment but it makes me feel a little better that not everything you do is easy. I've just been through sewing something that I swear if it was necessary I would have taken a hammer to it just to make it go together - resorted to gluing the seams before sewing - frustration level up to here - thoughts of "why me" cries of anguish and words not to be heard by ladies much less spoken!! But it's done and someday - when the angst has subsided - I will review - that is if I don't burn it before!!
Sew4Fun said... (10/8/07 9:43 PM) Reply
Yay!!!!!! You finished it! I really did think this cape would never see the light of day. :) Well done. It looks great! A week in the magic wardrobe and you will have forgotten the pain. :)
jnamcd said... (10/8/07 9:38 PM) Reply
Wow--you must be so happy! It looks great!
blue mooney said... (10/8/07 9:31 PM) Reply
It looks cute, Cidell! Your review has me laughing...sorry it was so frustrating for you, though.
Vonnevo said... (10/8/07 9:30 PM) Reply
Congratulations on completing the challenge ! It turned out beautifully Cidell !
Kathy_AZ said... (10/8/07 9:29 PM) Reply
All I can say is WOW! I think you really underestimate your skill. Everything I've seen that you've made is absolutely lovely.
trinicity said... (10/8/07 9:24 PM) Reply
YAY, I am so happy for you, it looks great
3kids1036 said... (10/8/07 9:22 PM) Reply
It came out fantastic!!!! You did a wonderful job!
Ceri said... (10/8/07 9:15 PM) Reply
Congratulations! It looks great and your review is funny, not that it seemed funny to you while you were going throuhg it, though!
Christina Sonja said... (10/8/07 9:14 PM) Reply
Yay! Glad to see you conquered this cape. I am in awe of your skills. It looks perfect.

by: susandf