Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 9949 (Tote bags)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:3/23/03 6:06 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories
Gigi Louis said... (3/24/03 2:36 PM) Reply
Your bag is so adorable - just perfect for summer. I like to use fusible fleece whenever I make bags - it really beefs up the fabric (you can also use regular fleece and fusible web by the yard). I also like either plastic canvas (totally washable so you don't have to make it removable) or foamcore (which I cover with fabric and can remove for washing) in the bottoms for added structure. Warning, making bags can become an addiction.
PhyllisC said... (3/24/03 2:21 PM) Reply
Deepika - Lacis is in San Francisco, I reviwed them in the web sites section (they have good e-commerce capability) and Home-Sew is in PA. Home Sew was reviewed in PR web sites by Georgene a while back. Their e-commerce is not quite as robust, but still decent. You can sometimes find buckram in JoAnns or at Fabric Place. It's not washable; so as a subsitute, if you want to wash the bag, you could use plastic canvas or a similiar weight flexible plastic, such as a report cover from an office supply store. For example, in terms of constant use, an evening bag might not need to be washed, but a tote used daily might need to be.
Pam Z said... (3/24/03 4:45 AM) Reply
A nice looking bag. Too bad the zip isn't easier to use.
Debbie Spriggs said... (3/23/03 10:32 PM) Reply
What a cute bag, Deepika! I really like your fabric choice. I just picked up a couple bag patterns, and missed this one. I'll have to add this to my wish list for the next sale, such a nice variety of styles!
Deepika said... (3/23/03 9:51 PM) Reply
Phyllis, where did you find buckram and where are these stores located?
PhyllisC said... (3/23/03 7:45 PM) Reply
Deepika - the first time I made a bag like this I had a similiar experience - and I realized that what really makes a great bag is the interfacings and internal construction. I've used a fusible batting on the body of bags, which gives them a nice "heft", and I sometimes use buckram in the bottom - to weigh down the bag and counterbalance a tendency for the bag to fall over. Home-Sew and Lacis both carry lots of great bag hardware and notions that really make a difference (like magnetic snaps and other cool notions.)

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern