Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 6408 (OOP '48 Retro Evening Gown)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:12/5/07 10:09 AM
Last Updated:12/5/07 9:48 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 30 people
lavinarose said... (5/26/09 4:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, I learned the hard way about zippers and interfacing in formal wear as well. Very annoying.... at least if you learn from your mistakes you won't make them again!!
Batik said... (4/29/09 2:57 AM) Reply
You look freakin' fantastic in that dress and hood. Well played!
Squeezylemon said... (1/2/08 8:23 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress and you look wonderful in it! I'm going to a formal wedding in January and just wish I had time to go to the trouble you did with this dress...... maybe next time! Your sewing is an inspiration to us all Cidell!
MelissaB in WA said... (12/10/07 1:08 PM) Reply
That is one *gorgeous* dress Cidell - I'm sure you knocked everyone's socks off at the party! :-)
CynthiaSue said... (12/7/07 10:46 PM) Reply
Insanity! Insane work, insane color, insane beauty, insane talent. InSANE! :)
PhyllisC said... (12/7/07 7:33 PM) Reply
Cidell this color is glorious on you! A wonderful, wonderful gown.
QueenZ said... (12/7/07 2:49 PM) Reply
Stunning gown!!!
mochalover said... (12/7/07 8:56 AM) Reply
Cidell, well done as always. Gorgeous dress and well worth your time and effort.
Dolphin said... (12/7/07 4:17 AM) Reply
..... and the oscar goes to Miss Cidell for her beautiful dress and looking so stunning.
Lisa Merry said... (12/6/07 8:36 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone's comments. That dress is FABULOUS, you did such a great job on it!!
Betsybobbin said... (12/6/07 8:03 PM) Reply
Absolutely wonderful! The roses make it. I hope everyone at your party asked you where you got your dress, so you could say I made it!! Well done! Elizabeth
northern nasturtium said... (12/6/07 5:39 PM) Reply
oh, I'm sooooo happy you made the hood! Formalwear hood-- what a wild idea! I, too, have been following along on your blog and am happy for you that this project came out so well. Great work!
Karen6790 said... (12/6/07 1:51 PM) Reply
This was worth every second you put into it. You look absolutely gorgeous. I love the color on you, and the muslins were worthwhile because the fit is excellent! It isn't often that a learning experience looks this fabulous. But what are you going to give us to read about now that you're done? You need another killer project!
Grammy Gin said... (12/6/07 1:25 PM) Reply
Sorry Duplicate
Grammy Gin said... (12/6/07 12:44 PM) Reply
Ooooh Cidell, you are absolutely gorgeous in your beautiful creation! Since I've joined PR & lurking, I've admired your sewing skills. You've always been able to sew, IMHO. I think you should upgrade your sewing to at least advanced! You should be on the runway! ;-)
ryan's mom said... (12/6/07 11:46 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!!! And judging by size you used and alterations made, you can now send it my way so I can wear it :) .
ZeldaDC said... (12/6/07 10:27 AM) Reply
What a breathtaking inspiration! Thanks for sharing the experience. Congratulations!
gatorgirl4325 said... (12/6/07 9:51 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress - thanks for all the details you gave about the construction. The color is gorgeous!!
carolynw said... (12/6/07 9:26 AM) Reply
OOPS DOUBLE POST
carolynw said... (12/6/07 9:24 AM) Reply
Been away for a day or two and then clicked on to this and went "OMG- Cidell you look totally beautiful - great color onyou and of course yoru usual great work - I know you must be tired of hearing this - "Girl You Rock" but you so do!!
fuzzygalore said... (12/6/07 9:14 AM) Reply
Oh, don't worry Cydell - life's too short to regret every pattern gone. You wouldn't have had time to make more than one this year anyway, and you certainely couldn't have gotten anything more fabulous :-). The fit is superb, the dress is gorgeous, the roses are amazing and the hood...!! I'd have preferred it in orange myself, just to put in a dissenting note :-). But I'm me and you're you, and you're certainly the most glamorous thing to hit that party in decades I'm sure :-).
said... (12/6/07 8:21 AM) Reply
Wow, you look marvelous!!! Love the color and you WEAR that dress.
OP Gal said... (12/6/07 8:15 AM) Reply
You. Look. Gorgeous! Your hard work certainly paid off. I hope your fellow party goers didn't let that beautiful dress un-noticed.
cindyann said... (12/6/07 7:44 AM) Reply
Just a lovely as I imagined you would be. The dress is perfection!
Shrazzy said... (12/6/07 7:23 AM) Reply
It looks great on you!
Danvillegirl said... (12/6/07 5:24 AM) Reply
I have been reading your adventures with this dress on ;your blog. It truly turned out great.
rahayu said... (12/6/07 2:23 AM) Reply
I am S-P-E-E-C-H-L-E-S-S!!!!!!! You and your dress are awesomely GORGEOUS....
cathy45 said... (12/6/07 0:01 AM) Reply
Bravo! It's a gorgeous gown and you look so beautiful in it! You inspire us all--and we have a bouse to look forward to also?
mastdenman said... (12/5/07 10:14 PM) Reply
Fabulous. You look absolutely beautiful in it.
Nancywin said... (12/5/07 10:03 PM) Reply
You look stunning in this dress!Now - don't you think you should call yourself an "advanced" sewist? You did beautiful work on this.
hongkongshopper said... (12/5/07 9:48 PM) Reply
WooHoo - gorgeous!!
tomed said... (12/5/07 9:28 PM) Reply
Fabulous, Cidell. You should be very proud!
Sheila457 said... (12/5/07 8:49 PM) Reply
Outstandingly Gorgeous.
cindy-lou said... (12/5/07 8:41 PM) Reply
WOW. :o Over-the-top great. You rock. You TOTALLY rock! I love the look, the fit, the color, the whole package. Wonderful work!!!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (12/5/07 8:38 PM) Reply
I've been secretly following your progress on your blog. The results are beautiful. Do you have a picture with the hood? Would love to see it!
nadinec said... (12/5/07 8:29 PM) Reply
Ooooo - you are "Cidell-rella" in this gown! But then, you would look great in a gunnysack :-)
kim*brown said... (12/5/07 8:26 PM) Reply
I love the color and added details. You look like you definitely stood out in the crowd. Very pretty!!
Annette1 said... (12/5/07 8:14 PM) Reply
Oh, Cidell, this is just BEAUTIFUL. Hmmmm, silk, boning, underlining, organza: Doesn't this qualify you at the courture rating now? I've often regretted getting rid of an unused pattern myself, only later to buy ANOTHER one, so what was the point? I've since decided I'll get rid of something ELSE, but not the patterns. I hope I stick to it. Not many people can wear "negative ease" very well, but you certainly do. In my case, it'd be like that joke Dolly Parton told after the Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction: "If I have a wardrobe malfunction, I'm taking out the first five rows." Great review, and I enjoyed your blog, as well.
Kay Y said... (12/5/07 7:42 PM) Reply
You can sew anything!! Your dress is gorgeous and you look fantastic in it.
nicegirl said... (12/5/07 5:12 PM) Reply
Yay! For the dress! It came out gorgeous in color, fit, and style. I love the flowers.
Vonnevo said... (12/5/07 5:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful ! Beautiful ! Beautiful !
Riordan said... (12/5/07 4:59 PM) Reply
Truly beautiful dress, and you have the perfect figure for it!! Absolutely stunning!!!
narcissaqtpie said... (12/5/07 4:21 PM) Reply
the dress is amazing, you're amazing!
LuceLu said... (12/5/07 4:20 PM) Reply
Ooooooooo la la! Impressive. I will read up on it in more painstaking detail (because I need all the details) on your blog. Does it make you feel like a grown up?-- a glamourous one? (I had to ask, as a little girl I always thought I would spend evenings in beautiful gowns when I grew up.-- Unfortunately, I spend most all of them in flannel pajama pants and tshirts) You are very talented. I want to say I have read your blog and seen your work and you have been an amazing seamstress for a very long time before this gorgeous dress.
Sigrid. said... (12/5/07 3:56 PM) Reply
Already commented on your blog, but once again: this is an awesome dress. Great work!
eibhlin said... (12/5/07 3:54 PM) Reply
Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!!
Lori V said... (12/5/07 3:30 PM) Reply
You look stunning, Cidell. Great job.
Dmd4106 said... (12/5/07 2:51 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Befitting a equally talented & goreous person. I so enjoy reading your reviews and blog about your trumphants and trials via yr sewing adventures. Thanks for posting
Dei said... (12/5/07 2:33 PM) Reply
Cidell, OMG! As my daughter would say, "prettiful". I followed your progress on your blog and was impressed then, boning, silk organza and all. But you knocked this one out of the box. Sewn beautifully and worn beautifully.
LindsayT said... (12/5/07 2:26 PM) Reply
OMG, your dress is stunning! Your blog on the creation process is great. Nice work!
craftyshark said... (12/5/07 2:21 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress. It really suits you!
Mahogany Stylist said... (12/5/07 1:49 PM) Reply
beautiful!
Linda G said... (12/5/07 1:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful...it seems they just don't make patterns as fashionable as they used to....
PegL said... (12/5/07 1:28 PM) Reply
Bravo! Your dress is gorgeous and you look fantastic wearing it!
Jodi B. said... (12/5/07 12:39 PM) Reply
Cidell, this looks fabulous! I've been waiting to see it and I'm not disappointed. You looked great for your ball. Congratulations on all the new sewing skills.
Christina Sonja said... (12/5/07 12:31 PM) Reply
I have been so inspired by your whole process of making this gown. What an accomplishment. And you look *amazing*!!
Deepika said... (12/5/07 12:04 PM) Reply
Wow, what a gorgeous gown and this color is smashing on you!
loohoo44 said... (12/5/07 12:00 PM) Reply
Congratulations! This was a total accomplishment, and you look fabulous.
Marita Kinnula said... (12/5/07 11:32 AM) Reply
You must have been the beauty of the party wearing this, congrats!:-) Marita
Mary W said... (12/5/07 11:31 AM) Reply
beautiful
Luckylibbet said... (12/5/07 11:19 AM) Reply
Dahhling! What a fab dress! Bet you knocked em dead at the event.
Lady_Mame said... (12/5/07 11:16 AM) Reply
WOW- what a knockout. You look fantastic!
bananaoil said... (12/5/07 11:15 AM) Reply
Dear Ms. Cidell, I do so admire your work and this one is no exception. It looks beautiful on you. It has a HOOD? Maybe I'll see that when I check back at your blog (I'm a reader). How much time did you give yourself for this project? I have been in the "hot needle and burnt thread" club myself for sewing things up while heading out the door.
Erica B. said... (12/5/07 11:06 AM) Reply
The dress turned out beautiful! Very Red Carpet Chic!
Peggy L said... (12/5/07 10:55 AM) Reply
You outdid yourself on this one. Stunning!!!
Cowtown Karen said... (12/5/07 10:49 AM) Reply
Awesome!
Lisa Laree said... (12/5/07 10:48 AM) Reply
I have a number of patterns in the 'why did I get rid of that!!' category, too! Great dress! Great work!
cmarie12 said... (12/5/07 10:35 AM) Reply
Simply beautiful!!!!
Rhonda in Montreal said... (12/5/07 10:34 AM) Reply
Wow! And WOW!! You look Lovely and Proud!! Very helpful review.
Barbara said... (12/5/07 10:33 AM) Reply
GEORGEOUS!
Mary Cargill said... (12/5/07 10:26 AM) Reply
It is great to see it, and the fabric is simply gorgeous. Much better than orange! What an inspiration.
Nancy K said... (12/5/07 10:19 AM) Reply
Wow! I have been following along on your blog and the dress is fabulous; you look fabulous. I hope that you had a wonderful time and that you are justly proud of this dress. For $120 you got a high end creation.
marjenann said... (12/5/07 10:15 AM) Reply
Fantabulous!!!! You wear it well!

Lekala Patterns 4100