Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5519 (One Hour Dress)

Reviewed by:Peggy L

Pattern Size:Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 9 people

Sweater knit fabrics

angelt841 said... (12/27/09 1:04 AM) Reply
one of the funniest reviews I have read! great job
AnneM said... (1/2/08 4:58 PM) Reply
Well, you know, design changes are the name of the game. And they never take an hour, even without mistakes! (Or at least they don't for me.) (The large pictures aren't coming up for me, but it looks nice in the small pic.)
millonthefloss said... (12/17/07 8:25 PM) Reply
Really like this dress. Simple and plain enough to add any scarf, pin, or accent. Even though you had some difficulty you worked through it and came up with a dress nonetheless. My best to you.
Leslie in Austin said... (12/10/07 9:22 AM) Reply
Great save! In fact, I think the two piece sleeve is a great design element on such a simple (aka not fussy) dress. Bravo!
Leora said... (12/9/07 8:31 PM) Reply
Nice design change and a lovely gift!
carolynw said... (12/9/07 10:05 AM) Reply
Nice looking dress and a great save!! Why these things happen I will never know - many of us feel your pain with the misadventure 'cos we been there and done that!!
blue mooney said... (12/9/07 8:46 AM) Reply
Been there, done that! You came up with a good save, and great results. What a nice pattern - no zipper! I hope it suits your DD.
JDpenelope said... (12/9/07 8:11 AM) Reply
Beautiful job and great story. We've all been there, and misery loves company.
marjenann said... (12/9/07 8:04 AM) Reply
Lemons to lemonaide!! Great looking dress!
Danvillegirl said... (12/9/07 7:46 AM) Reply
Nice gift.
Annette1 said... (12/9/07 3:51 AM) Reply
Ha! Well, those "designer sleeves" look like they were meant to be that way. :o) If you don't confess, your daughter will never know. I think the dress looks great!
bluenines said... (12/9/07 1:09 AM) Reply
great save !, and yes i to have had sewing miss haps while trying to do more than one thing at a time, i think your dd will love the dress
Nancywin said... (12/8/07 11:50 PM) Reply
I don't know how anybody makes anything in one hour. It takes me longer than that just to take out the pattern, iron it and make alterations. I think I'm pretty slow at the "prep" part of sewing. This dress looks like it will be very nice. If your daughter is anything like mine, you may end up taking it in! They tend to like negative ease. (of course, they have the bodies for it!)
OP Gal said... (12/8/07 10:52 PM) Reply
Great save! Your "design element" worked beautifully. Loved the funny review.
Kaitlinnegan said... (12/8/07 10:28 PM) Reply
Oh my -- I am always worried about accidentally using my pattern pieces as scraps because I sometimes leave them lying about in balls so they look like scraps..I should be more careful. Good save though! Looks like a cute and "easy" (how come those "easy" projects never turn out easy?) pattern!
PegL said... (12/8/07 9:26 PM) Reply
Tim Gunn would be so proud of you! The dress is Runway worthy!
fabricrazed said... (12/8/07 8:29 PM) Reply
Good looking dress. Haven't we all had one of those moments. Now you have created your own design detail. Some mistakes turn out to become something better. I liked your solution.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (12/8/07 6:48 PM) Reply
"Funny" story!! You really came up with a bright solution!! There's experience showing. (Now, you only have to "make up" some "stolen" cookies for your other DD!!)
Athene said... (12/8/07 6:31 PM) Reply
Its a nice looking dress. You did "make it work" congratulations. I have this pattern to make for me and my DD but just have not found the time yet.

Simplicity 2195 Vintage