Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 02-2007-14 (Jeans)

Reviewed by:JuliaS

About JuliaSstarstarstar
Member since: 3/29/04
Posted on:12/28/07 3:08 PM
Last Updated:12/28/07 3:10 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

Sewing Patterns: Upcycling

ejvc said... (3/14/08 4:59 AM) Reply
Hi Julia, This is an excellent review - I am doing an Ottobre pattern right now and may end up making some of the same changes you did since I have the same fitting issues. Regarding the back yoke, in "Pants for real people" they recommend taking a dart out of the jeans yoke pattern (ie recutting it with the darted fabric omitted) instead of just a CB dart. I took a CB dart and took in the side seams - we'll see how that works. Thank you for the Burda recommendations.
susinok said... (3/7/08 7:41 AM) Reply
We have the same challenges in pants alterations, so I am going to have to give this pattern a try. Thanks for the detailed review. The cord pant looks great!
MelissaB in WA said... (12/31/07 11:04 AM) Reply
I think you've done a fabulous job. I agree the Burda fit is a tad better, it's always the quest to find the *perfect* one - you're so close, but do wear these pants, they are cute and look really great on you (RTW can fit soooo much worse). And don't you just love dealing with the sway back/bubble bum thing - uggggg, I totally feel your pain!!!!!
Grammy Gin said... (12/30/07 3:43 PM) Reply
Flatterng fit! I think you love sewing jeans ;-)
bananaoil said... (12/29/07 4:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the picture of the alteration you made for full front thighs. I've fallen in love with the Ottobre Woman stuff but have been putting off running the "ultimate test"---pants. Think I'll go start that now.
SewLil said... (12/29/07 12:37 PM) Reply
Okay, when I first saw the pic I thought you were reviewing the top. That's how well made the pants look, like RTW. I've never attempted to make a jeans pattern. From your pics I'd say the Burda looks better but these look great too.
AnnieBananie said... (12/29/07 9:22 AM) Reply
I have the same fitting issues as you so I am hoping that you'll find the perfect pattern!! In the meantime, I'm going to look for a copy of Power Sewing. Thanks for the review!
ryansmumAria said... (12/29/07 9:20 AM) Reply
I looked through your pictures and you are truly a wonderful creative designer/seamstress who has taken sewing to a professional level. Now please tell me how you manage to find time to sew with a job and baby? Do you cut back on sleep time?
Danvillegirl said... (12/29/07 7:37 AM) Reply
I am not sure I should make any comments since I have never attempted jean sewing. The only pants I have made are pull on and they are not to hard to mess up. Both jeans look good at the waist area, better on the Burda. I think you need more length in the back at the crotch area, not much. Too me that would give a better look. Again this is my 2 cents worth and I am sure others who have made pants/jeans can better advise. I admire your desire to make good fitting jeans. I like the decorative stitching on the pockets, nice touch.
ooeygooey said... (12/29/07 1:22 AM) Reply
double post
ooeygooey said... (12/29/07 0:29 AM) Reply
I think some of the fit issues you have on the back are a result of your alterations. By taking a CB "dart", you create the "wiskers" under your tush. I would try the pattern again, but instead of doing your standard back alterations, try using one size for your hip measurement and blend into the size that best matches your waist -- or at least get close to your waist size and then make a smaller back alteration. I would only recommend this with Ottobre, because the patterns are so well drafted to begin with. Might be worth a try, just to see if you get that perfect pant!
Lori V said... (12/28/07 11:16 PM) Reply
Cute pants, I like your tone-on-tone embroidery. I agree with RMJ, I like the Burda ones a bit better.
suzanrossi said... (12/28/07 10:45 PM) Reply
Nice! Cute behind, too, with both styles.
marjenann said... (12/28/07 6:46 PM) Reply
Sensational pants! You look terrific!
RMJ said... (12/28/07 6:35 PM) Reply
I think these fit well - I'd be ecstatic if I made jeans that looked this good. But since you asked for opinions, I think the Burda fits a little bit better - less extra fabric just under the rear.
Sic said... (12/28/07 6:01 PM) Reply
Cute pants - I really like the fit and the back pockets look RTW!
bluenines said... (12/28/07 3:51 PM) Reply
great looking pants
Seaspur said... (12/28/07 3:42 PM) Reply
I think they look pretty darn good! I'm going to have to try an Ottobre pants pattern soon. Nice job.
rivergum said... (12/28/07 3:40 PM) Reply
You look great in these jeans. What a superb job! I think I need to look into getting hold of an Ottobre mag, it seems to be well worth the trouble.
cecelia said... (12/28/07 3:24 PM) Reply
Well, they look like they fit pretty well to me. The embroidery is very nice on the pocket. Thanks for a good review!

McCall's 8856 OOP