Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8408 (Princess seam dress w/Collar)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:1/2/08 10:57 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
Katharine in BXL said... (8/21/08 1:13 PM) Reply
Really dig the matching belt and how to re-use the belt ring. (I came back to say that!)
Aunt Gail said... (8/2/08 2:06 AM) Reply
WOW what a great review ...and the pictures you were so wonderful to include really helped me visualize the making of the dress - rather than just looking at the Vogue pix and the line drawing. I was especially curious about the whole under the arm zipper. Your picture TRULY helped. I'm not sure I'll end up making the pattern, but I definitely am going to purchase it. Hugs and once more - Very Helpful Review
HLT said... (7/24/08 8:21 PM) Reply
I love this pattern. Great Job!! The belt that you made totally works. I'm just starting out in this pattern. The contrast bias tape is a great idea!
Katharine in BXL said... (4/4/08 8:06 AM) Reply
Stunning
cindy-lou said... (1/23/08 9:09 AM) Reply
Trena, I missed this review the first time! But now I'm totally entranced by this dress. I think it's becoming a new mission for me: 'Must-Make-Dress. Must-Use-Wool-Plaid-From-Paron's. Need-Dress. Can't-Stop. Must-Make-Dress.' You look like a serious stick of dynamite in this one! :)
Squeezylemon said... (1/11/08 6:52 AM) Reply
Another beautiful dress from you! And it never ceases to amaze me the fabric bargains you can get in the US. Can I tell you, in the UK/Ireland we pay a FORTUNE for fabric! But it's still better to have something original than chainstore....... Love your reviews as always.
Heatherrique said... (1/3/08 8:20 PM) Reply
There you are Ms Kidman! I see that you have been away, probably filming on vacation, etc. You brought pizazz to this dress. I plan to write to Vogue in order that your picture be on the envelope. It's worth a try! The brooch. belt, and the boots (and another "B", NiceGirl's Beauty and I do not lie!!!!) make the look more interesting!
nicegirl said... (1/3/08 6:56 PM) Reply
Thank you so much everyone for the nice comments! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Jill-HA! I totally didn't realize I'd put the collar on the wrong way. Both the collar and neckline are symmetrical so It doesn't actually make any difference, just personal preference I guess. Not that I can say I made a conscious decision to do it opposite theirs...but as with all my mistakes, I'll call it a design feature.
edupraz said... (1/3/08 3:54 PM) Reply
I've been meaning to sew this dress, but I haven't gotten around to it just yet. I was envisioning a sweater-like wool, but I love the plaid you chose!
cmarie12 said... (1/3/08 12:53 PM) Reply
The belt really makes the dress sing. I love how you cut the belt fabric on the bias and your ring idea. It was a cute dress but the belt really kicks it up several notches - to me!
Kellie R. said... (1/3/08 9:21 AM) Reply
Wowee wow wow! You did a great job! Thanks for the detailed review!
carolynw said... (1/3/08 9:18 AM) Reply
Very nice dress - have been wondering where you were!
Grammy Gin said... (1/3/08 9:04 AM) Reply
You look so cute in this dress! I love the collar & what you did with the belt. ;-)
jillnjosh said... (1/3/08 3:58 AM) Reply
It looks great. The bias belt really adds to the look. The collar is reversed from the Vogue website image - did you reverse it, is it optional, or did they just put up a backward image? TIA, Jill
Dmd4106 said... (1/3/08 3:37 AM) Reply
Welcome back! Luv the contrast nice touch! Great review
ggexpansive said... (1/3/08 2:48 AM) Reply
i love it you did a great job, and 4hrs wow:)
Erica B. said... (1/3/08 2:24 AM) Reply
Cute dress! I love the belt.
EveS said... (1/3/08 1:10 AM) Reply
Glad to see you back! LOVE this dress!!! Seriously. Everything about it. It was worth the wait! ;)
LorelleD said... (1/3/08 0:57 AM) Reply
Great dress on you. I like what you did with the belt and the addition of the antique pin.
N_Vogue said... (1/2/08 11:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I, too, have this pattern and now can't wait to get started on it. Love the fabric, too!!
SarahSM said... (1/2/08 9:38 PM) Reply
Very cool dress---it really suits you!
Elemenopeo said... (1/2/08 9:14 PM) Reply
Love it.
Lisa Merry said... (1/2/08 8:48 PM) Reply
Very cute dress!! I like the belt too and that's a good idea to make the ring re-usable.
Linda G said... (1/2/08 7:06 PM) Reply
Darling dress, yes the pin as on the collar improves the design, great job. I love the colors and the plaid.
Tiner W said... (1/2/08 4:09 PM) Reply
I LOVE this dress! Every time I look at the Vogue catalog, I stop at this pattern. That collar is so dramatic. So far I've talked myself out of it each time. Next time it'll come home with me!
cabinbaby said... (1/2/08 3:19 PM) Reply
Wow, great dress. Cute boots too.
MissCelie said... (1/2/08 1:25 PM) Reply
I love plaid and the belt is adorable. Yippee for a dramatic collar!
sewbehind said... (1/2/08 1:14 PM) Reply
I like that on you! Looking forward to seeing your backlog posted. Very nice.
marjenann said... (1/2/08 12:46 PM) Reply
Love this dress on you!! That collar is a standout! And the fabric is very fashion forward too!
Annette1 said... (1/2/08 12:33 PM) Reply
Wow, I LOVE this outfit, and it looks so nice on you. Beautiful workmanship. I love your belt, too!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (1/2/08 11:13 AM) Reply
Cute dress! Great idea with the belt and it really looks good with the dress.

by: Cosso