Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5103 (Kimono Jacket)

Reviewed by:Diane E

About Diane Estarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:4/18/03 1:04 AM
Last Updated:4/18/03 1:11 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Miss Fairchild said... (6/23/09 8:13 AM) Reply
Although the review is old, I saw it today and really liked it! I was thinking of buying this pattern, but decided against it because of the sloppy editing. If you're going to pay a premium price for a pattern, it better shine like gold! But the jacket is beautiful; just beautiful. And the Stevie Nicks reference is funny; I remember the first album she did with Fleetwood Mac (talk about dating oneself..). And all the comments are right--she did look like she had been dancing around Grandma's attic. But that was the look back then, and some of us wished we could look that way! The jacket looks great on you and it's a great way to dress up a pair of jeans.
Cheryl Colehour said... (4/22/03 1:12 PM) Reply
I didn't realize this pattern came in a longer length, so this is a useful review for me. A couple of years ago a friend adn I watched the Fleetwood Mac reunion special on VH1, and after watching for awhile my friend said, "I think she might be wearing a couple of tablecloths around her shoulders!" I thought she must be so hot performing in all those layers.
Skymom said... (4/18/03 3:09 PM) Reply
I happened to see Ms. Nicks the other night, too, and my husband I were somewhat shocked to realize how incredibly poppy the older music sounds today. That said, Diane, your jacket is quite elegant. I made the SW Thai Coat a couple of seasons ago, also sort of doubting the long-jacket look on me (similar body type to yours), but I really enjoy it. Sometimes it's fun to have a little extra fabric swirling around, even if the overall look is pretty tailored. BTW, I used a multi-color houndstooth check raw silk suiting for the Thai Coat, and thought it had just the right amount of body for this length.
Debbie Spriggs said... (4/18/03 12:30 PM) Reply
I just saw Stevie Nicks on the Today show this morning--so you're right up-to-the-minute! I must say I like your look better too :) Much more elegant, and not one bit of tangled lace! LOL
Diane E said... (4/18/03 12:06 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone. Elona, you have me chuckling to myself about poor Stevie and her attic. Deepika, I did use shoulder pads, and I think I'm going to fiddle with the placement this morning - also desperate to put off a project I'm supposed to send a client - so those shoulder pads need work ;) I think I shoved them too far out into the sleeve head (uh huh.....)
Lisa Laree said... (4/18/03 10:29 AM) Reply
Hm. I'm going to have to go back to the web sources and look at this pattern again. I have a similar Butterick pattern, but I'm sure it utilizes facings. I've gotten kind of enamoured of the long flowy look -- it hides a multitude of sins! ;)
Deepika said... (4/18/03 10:05 AM) Reply
Diane, nice jacket. I have this pattern too and have wondered that myself. Your review encourages me to try it. I'll probably try the shorter version first though. Did you use shoulder pads?
Rhonda Noah said... (4/18/03 6:20 AM) Reply
Looks great on you, Diane, so your gamble in trying something new paid off in spades. Elona, very funny! LOL
Elona said... (4/18/03 4:48 AM) Reply
Really cute, Diane! And not at all Stevie Nicks. I saw her the other night on the tube, and for one thing, she has become waaay more upholstered than you are! For another, this is a more formal coat than her style. I always have the impression that there are fringes or bits of lace or rags or something hanging off her here and there. Kind of a tatty, accidental-antique look, like "Whoops, I was just dancing around amongst the laces in Gran's attic, and I must have got tangled in them." Meow.
Pam Z said... (4/18/03 4:44 AM) Reply
I am usually a "practical dresser" too, but I think this style looks great on you! Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone Diane :)

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2013-101