Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB032SC (Sophia Carry-all)

Reviewed by:SarahSM

About SarahSMstar
Member since: 1/17/07
Posted on:1/14/08 1:57 AM
Last Updated:1/16/08 9:21 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
cnp71203 said... (9/28/08 3:46 PM) Reply
This bag is so amazingly awesome that it defies words! I am crazy in love with the fabric.
berns1 said... (3/22/08 8:25 PM) Reply
Wow! Thanks for such a great review of pro and con..It helps soo much. I'm going to buy this pattern, and now see the pitfalls and advantages.. Great tip on the feet. Do you Scotchgaurd to protect from dust and dirt? berni1
SarahSM said... (1/19/08 4:42 PM) Reply
Re, the feet: So handbag feet are these do-dads (yes, that's the technical name) that you basically screw into the base of your bag so that the bag sits on those, rather than the bag's base. Mine were $5 or so and were the plastic type---since those were the only black ones I could find. It helps keep your fabric from getting dirty and gross and looks pretty cool too. With my bag, it really helped to keep the sides from slouching over the base as well. They contain two pieces each: the piece that has a screw on one end that is inserted from the inside of the bag and the cap that makes up the actual "foot." I inserted them (and I don't know if this is "right" but it's the way I do it) by stabbing a philips head screw driver through a spot I've measured and marked (I use a screw driver the same size as the screws that are on the feet). I then poke the feet through to the exterior bottom of the bag, and screw the caps on. It's a pretty quick and dirty operation. I've also heard of people using large brads, like you can get at office and craft stores and some of these come in unusual shapes and colors. I really like the way they look for structured handbags. You can find these (and lots of other intriguing notions) in the bag making supplies section of larger craft and fabric stores.
drdeez said... (1/19/08 8:43 AM) Reply
Nice bag and very nice review. I wasn't sure how you put in feet though. Can you explain what they are and how they are inserted? Thanks and sew more bags so we can benefit from your experience!!!
sunshinecup said... (1/19/08 0:50 AM) Reply
I love your bag! I can't believe it was your first one since it is so well done. Nice fabric choice.
Sherril Miller said... (1/17/08 9:06 PM) Reply
Great bag, the fabric is quite fun.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/17/08 12:16 PM) Reply
You did a great job. Cute fabric!
KrystalL said... (1/17/08 9:14 AM) Reply
I'm just getting hip to Amy Butler, and I like how your bag turned out. Thanks for a great review!
Birdie757 said... (1/17/08 7:29 AM) Reply
Your bag turned out great. I am so glad my review was helpful. Next time I sew this bag there will be no piping on the bottom either. In your photo, I didn't even realize you hadn't done the piping until it was mentioned in the review. I am going to have to get some feet for mine next time. Thanks for the review.
rockontinyrebel said... (1/17/08 0:01 AM) Reply
Super-super-super-cool! Great job and wonderful choice of fabric!
Stacy Sews said... (1/16/08 9:38 PM) Reply
Fun Bag!!!! I love the tattoo fabric on this one. Thanks for the review!
Peggy L said... (1/16/08 4:13 PM) Reply
Great review of a great bag. Fun fabric choice.
SarahSM said... (1/16/08 3:56 PM) Reply
The other bag in the pattern picture is the Weekender Bag, which is a different pattern. If you search for it on PR, you'll see some lovely versions. They'd make nice companion pieces, actually.
Pam Z said... (1/16/08 3:53 PM) Reply
Very nice bag! The pattern pic. shows 2 bags. Are there 2 views?
pterion said... (1/16/08 1:28 PM) Reply
I love everything about this bag - very cool style and the funky retro fabric is so great with it!
MelissaB in WA said... (1/16/08 11:39 AM) Reply
Oh Sarah, that is great to know, I was going to have DH stop a few weeks ago when we were near there, but it was a little out of the way. Glad to know they definitely have them!
LindsayT said... (1/16/08 9:29 AM) Reply
What a fun bag! I'd buy this if I saw it in a boutique.
purplepolowraps said... (1/16/08 8:14 AM) Reply
looks great! i cannot wait to get my mitts on this pattern!
Ronda Rae said... (1/16/08 7:12 AM) Reply
Oh, Sarah, this is soooo awesome!! I have the other bag that I made but now I want this one, too! I can just visualize you swinging your bag while you walk down the street!! Very, nice!
Sigrid. said... (1/16/08 5:27 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag. Love the fabric you used.
SarahSM said... (1/16/08 1:45 AM) Reply
Yeah, Melissa---I got the feet at Fabric Depot. They had the black plastic ones I used, plus brass and nickel metal ones...
Seaspur said... (1/16/08 0:55 AM) Reply
Your bag is too cool!
MelissaB in WA said... (1/16/08 0:41 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag - sounds like a repeat performance of the Weekender Bag I made Saturday! LOL Did you get the feet at Fabric Depot too? I need some and I can't find any up any my area so when I trek down to Portland next time I'll stop in if they have any.
SarahSM said... (1/14/08 8:53 PM) Reply
I got my fabric from Fabric Depot in Portland. I've seen a lot of the quilting weight of this online, but only at Fabric Depot have I seen the buff-colored home dec weight stuff. It comes in black too, which I've seen at some of the independent places.
lauraborealis said... (1/14/08 8:35 PM) Reply
I love your fabric... where did you get it? I will go home right now and make room in my stash!

Burda 7234