Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3078 (UFO-Dreadful Wrap Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:1/31/08 8:07 AM
Last Updated:1/31/08 8:07 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
moss said... (2/4/08 11:44 AM) Reply
hahahahahahaha. :) It is really pretty now.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/2/08 2:44 PM) Reply
With a set of problemsolving skills like that, you'd better run to NASA b/c they need your help ... now! I would have ditched everything affiliated with this pattern 3 yrs ago. The final dress has your inimitable chic 'camp' stamp on it. -Lily
Heatherrique said... (2/2/08 1:46 AM) Reply
Groovylicious and far out! Striking colors on you!
MelissaB in WA said... (2/1/08 11:45 PM) Reply
You get the award of the year for this UFO girl! I think the end result dress is incredibly gorgeous! You have more patience than I, but I can totally understand not wanting to be undefeted by a dang pattern. Darn SBA's too! ;-)
ryan's mom said... (2/1/08 9:50 PM) Reply
What a save!!! It certainly is fab now.
Grammy Gin said... (2/1/08 4:01 PM) Reply
Way to go Trena! Your dress is neat but your craft room is NEATER!!!! I can't believe you did that all in a, you were really busy...your friend must have been cute...ha! ;-)
Larkin said... (2/1/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Well done! Your dress is really cute - you should wear it on one of those days where you're up against a real bear. Deep down, you'll have the confidence that, although "some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you", this dress is proof that the bear should turn and run from you! I love the way the color changed with the addition of the trim. All 'round winner! Congrats.
Meggie LuLu said... (2/1/08 10:01 AM) Reply
Looks so nice. I can't believe you salvaged it (I would have given up). It did turn out to be a cute dress though.
Darla in PA said... (2/1/08 6:37 AM) Reply
What a great save! Your dress looks wonderful. Doesn't feel great to get that complete?
Danvillegirl said... (2/1/08 5:57 AM) Reply
Great transformation!
Sharon M said... (1/31/08 10:43 PM) Reply
Whoa! What a great save! I love the new version - it really is fabulous!
Maggie Cat said... (1/31/08 9:56 PM) Reply
What you have done with this dress is, to me, amazing. Fantastic!!!!
Karen6790 said... (1/31/08 8:34 PM) Reply
I think you need to coin a new word - that was beyond gaposis. Great save, though I don't think I would have persevered for as many years. Put it in the closet until nice weather and I'm sure you'll like it.
Sherril Miller said... (1/31/08 8:02 PM) Reply
You are so creative! It would have been in the trash before the day was up at my house, pattern and all.
MissCelie said... (1/31/08 5:43 PM) Reply
This is so great! It looks just like that new Hot Patterns dress which looks just like the Kara Janx dress!
Mary Stiefer said... (1/31/08 3:32 PM) Reply
Your creations are always so fabulous. Love it. You certainly made a silk purse out of a sow's ear (I think that's how the saying goes?????)
Birgitte said... (1/31/08 2:38 PM) Reply
You're a winner! It turned out super and the sash is fab!! No need to apologize for the title- dreadful is what dreadful does; messing with your head and stealing your precious time! This is your design now, you OWN it. My heartfelt congratulations on a job extremely well done!
AnneMarie60 said... (1/31/08 1:31 PM) Reply
Cue up the Rocky theme song: You conquered this disaster remarkably well!
Deb Thompson said... (1/31/08 12:52 PM) Reply
I'm inspired by you! The dress turned out fantastic! I can't believe you took it from what it was to what it is!! It looks great on you!
CarolynGM said... (1/31/08 12:27 PM) Reply
Great save, nicegirl. From the worst wrap gaposis I've ever seen to totally wearable! well done.
EastwoodFan said... (1/31/08 12:14 PM) Reply
From a fellow Virgo - I do have the "neat/organized" gene. However, it keeps me from doing as much sewing as I'd like, because I'm often reorganizing my sewing area. I just did that recently. I think it's great that you complete so many projects and I enjoy reading your reviews and blog. Great re-do on the dress too!
j222b said... (1/31/08 11:28 AM) Reply
Hey, "Slapdash" you made the Wall Street Journal today (1.31.08 White Wool article by Terri Agins ):
Ann Smith said... (1/31/08 11:25 AM) Reply
An incredible turn-around. You did a really creative save on this. It looks great now!
gatorgirl4325 said... (1/31/08 10:24 AM) Reply
Most definately FAB!! Great save and here's hoping that spring gives you new feelings toward this dress!!
pterion said... (1/31/08 10:21 AM) Reply
Nice save! I don't know that I would have stuck with it after all the initial frustrations. I like the look of the fabric too.
SexiSadi said... (1/31/08 9:47 AM) Reply
I just love the fabric! Great job on the save.
Huldra said... (1/31/08 9:35 AM) Reply
Wow, I almost don't believe that patterns that bad exist! Congratulations on being able so save it, the fabric is really pretty.
carolynw said... (1/31/08 9:27 AM) Reply
I am happy for you that you have this out of yoru system and glad you decided not to let it bare all except your belly button!! Congratulations on sticking with this - I know it must have been the least fun thing you have done in sewing!!
Lisa Laree said... (1/31/08 9:10 AM) Reply
Congratulations on such a fabulouso salvage job! I hate failures, too, and have been known to completely disassemble a project in order to fix it so it's wearable; I understand. It's funny...sometimes those salvaged things become wardrobe favorites. Sorta like giving birth...after a while, the greatness of the kid induces forgetfulness of what it took to get 'em there... ;) That *is* a really pretty print.
Marji said... (1/31/08 9:00 AM) Reply
Trena, I so feel your pain. I cannot imagine why we feel the need to finish some things that just give us no pleasure. I've been doing much the same thing and am also entering a bunch of less than wonderful projects, in my clean-up efforts. There is a reason UFO's are unfinished, aren't there. Anyway, you've ended up, ultimately with a very cute wearable dress. Congratulations.
Sic said... (1/31/08 8:22 AM) Reply
Your determination and resulting success is very impressive. Congratulations - the dress is darling!
Lori V said... (1/31/08 8:20 AM) Reply
Fantastic save, the new look of your dress is a winner.

by: sandramary