Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2005-134 (men's shirt jacket)

Reviewed by:Becky Coleman

About Becky Coleman
MN USA
Member since: 9/15/02
Posted on:2/14/08 0:03 AM
Last Updated:2/14/08 7:20 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
CatMukai said... (3/20/08 10:43 PM) Reply
Ooooh, I am jealous!! I love the slanted zippered pocket on the top left! Your attention to detail is amazing.
Hilary said... (2/20/08 2:52 PM) Reply
Very nicely done jacket!! I love the details you added, and it looks great on your son!
JMarie1962 said... (2/16/08 8:31 PM) Reply
Fantastic job. You really did a nice job aligning the plaid! The wool reminds me so much of the old Pendleton shirts my dad used to wear. They wore like iron! I'm also impressed you were able to make something your teenager would wear. That's an accomplishment in itself :)
SusiM said... (2/15/08 11:24 PM) Reply
Wow! A lot of work went into this one. I like it!
Peggy L said... (2/15/08 8:31 PM) Reply
That is a great jacket!! Love all the details you added. If your handsome son wears it, it is a winner for sure! I need to see if I have this issue of WOF. I think I might - and I know I have a DS who would love it.
LindsayT said... (2/15/08 5:02 PM) Reply
Great job with this jacket. It's nice to see something made for a teenage boy for a change.
Becky Coleman said... (2/15/08 10:59 AM) Reply
Thanks to all who responded. Yes, I did think about cleaning, and gentle hand wash will probably work best. The machine in my album is a Singer 15K with Sphinx decals in a straight leg treadle from 1939.
Lori V said... (2/15/08 8:36 AM) Reply
What a great jacket, the fabric- pattern combination is such a winner.
fuzzygalore said... (2/15/08 6:34 AM) Reply
Thinsulate is an excellent choice for a warm jacket. However I hope you gave a thought to cleaning... Thinsulate will dissolve in dry-cleaning fluids :-(. So if you pre-shrunk your wool you'll get best results, but in any case you should be able to wash the whole thing, gently. Very good-looking in any case :-).
trinicity said... (2/15/08 5:20 AM) Reply
that jacket looks awesome, great review
crisford said... (2/15/08 0:29 AM) Reply
Oh, what a great photo! The jacket is beautiful and your son very handsome.
BettyMike said... (2/14/08 10:01 PM) Reply
Love this jacket! Oh how I wish I had known about Burda WOF in 2005! You did a great job.
kim*brown said... (2/14/08 10:00 PM) Reply
Great job, and wonderful first review. Your son is very handsome.
ryansmumAria said... (2/14/08 9:28 PM) Reply
You should be very proud. It is excellent!
lilyofthevalley said... (2/14/08 9:24 PM) Reply
Intelligently thought out and beautifully executed. Handsome jacket on a handsome son. Excellent first review, too. -Lily
Karen6790 said... (2/14/08 9:14 PM) Reply
Lucky son - you made him a gorgeous jacket. Your added details really make it into something special.
Markie1 said... (2/14/08 8:12 PM) Reply
Wow, this is really impressive! The jacket is really sharp, your added details and changes look entirely designer. It doesn't hurt, also that your son could be a model... he wears it beautifully. What a great first review!
Leslie in Austin said... (2/14/08 7:59 PM) Reply
That is such a great looking jacket!! Very hip and retro-modern. The fit may be a little big through the shoulders, but it definitely is in keeping with the style. I shall not be showing this to the husband...
CharityAK said... (2/14/08 7:53 PM) Reply
That is a great looking jacket and he looks so handsome in itl What a great Mom. It's beautifully made as well. I know my son would love one like that too. :) And he's the same size....so that makes it easier for you! :)
leanmeansewingmachine said... (2/14/08 7:38 PM) Reply
Brrrrr the jacket looks great and with the thinsulate it must be warm too! I love the fabric.
sewinglinda said... (2/14/08 7:32 PM) Reply
good review of a lovely jacket and it looks so good on your son, glad to hear really he likes it. you are so lucky that he was willing to model, mine would say no way!
AnneMarie60 said... (2/14/08 7:27 PM) Reply
You did a wonderful job on the jacket. Your handsome son seems to like it very well. Now he just needs some gloves! I can't imagine how anyone deals with so much snow. BTW, I am interested to know more about the Singer I saw pictured in your photo album, too.
michellep74 said... (2/14/08 7:27 PM) Reply
Your jacket turned out great! Your son looks very handsome in it!
Becky Coleman said... (2/14/08 10:58 AM) Reply
Don't know why the link doesn't work, because it works for me. I'll try later to set up a web host for the photo.
Re Becca said... (2/14/08 9:21 AM) Reply
I would love to see how this turned out, but your picture link doesn't work. ***ETA: Love the picture, Gosh he looks cold. I love the pockets! I am glad that he stayed in one place long enough for the picture. It must be really in order for a teenage guy to be seen in it, much less photographed!

Ralph Pink Basic Swimsuit Block