Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1407 (Barcelona Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/13/03 4:09 AM
Last Updated:5/13/03 2:57 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
TSingh said... (7/22/03 11:35 AM) Reply
I love your fabric choice as usual. I've had my eye on this pattern for quite a while.
Michelle said... (5/13/03 10:53 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. I have had this pattern but haven't made it up yet. Need to do that now!! Thanks Ann!!
Ann Smith said... (5/13/03 10:52 PM) Reply
Phyllis: I think you could do this dress in slinky if you stabilize the waistline seam. You could just cut the skirt hem and not hem it. I've seen that suggested as a finish on slinky hems.
guillorypr said... (5/13/03 7:46 PM) Reply
beautiful dress!!!
Julia Graham said... (5/13/03 7:43 PM) Reply
Ann, absolutely beautiful! You are a veritable yente for hard-to-pair fabrics and patterns...
Karen Bowers said... (5/13/03 7:10 PM) Reply
phyllis, for all that this pattern is fairly simple, i think this pattern has too much detail for slinky. there is a vertical bust dart at the waist. i also think the curved hem would be difficult to manage with the weightiness of slinky.
PhyllisC said... (5/13/03 5:25 PM) Reply
Ann - do you think this style is a candidate for slinky knit?
Ann Smith said... (5/13/03 2:54 PM) Reply
Deepika: this rayon was wonderful to work with. I followed Loes' suggestion to serge finish the edges first, then straight stitch the seam. This helped to stabilize the fabric. That reminds me, I meant to mention in the review about the bias seam. I will edit the review to add that. Skymom: the dress does hang and shape from the shoulders and bust. There is no shoulder seam so the sleeves may help to extend a narrow shoulder. It is so easy to make it would be worth making a quick muslin of the bodice to see how it shapes on you.
Skymom said... (5/13/03 12:19 PM) Reply
Ann, it is such a pleasure to see someone who uses prints and color with so much style! I love this dress! Can you tell me, how do you think the style would work on someone with narrow shoulders and a very minimal bustline? It looks so graceful on you, but I'm afraid it might be impossible to fit attractively on my distinctly unshapely torso!
Deepika said... (5/13/03 10:15 AM) Reply
Ann the dress is lovely! And I like your fabric too. Was rayon a little difficult to sew?
Gigi Louis said... (5/13/03 9:01 AM) Reply
This pattern is a favorite of mine too. This is so stunning on you and, as usual, your choice of fabric really makes the dress.
jlg said... (5/13/03 8:13 AM) Reply
You always do such nice work. This is a great version of this dress.
Karen Bowers said... (5/13/03 5:58 AM) Reply
wow, ann! i think this is one of my favorite outfits of yours! great fabric, too.

Other Gingermelon