Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2007-124C (60s dress)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:3/21/08 11:51 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
kim*brown said... (3/28/08 9:58 AM) Reply
Very nice ethnic spin on something that seem to be abit "tadiddy" to start with. Love your creativity!
Fabricgurl said... (3/26/08 6:55 PM) Reply
This look is so flattering on you. The dress is darling and the headwrap has me green with envy. This puts me in the mood for Spring. Lovely review.
LindsayT said... (3/25/08 9:29 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress. Trés au courant.
aunt saidee said... (3/23/08 2:37 AM) Reply
You look so great in your beautiful ACID GREEN dress--my best friend is nuts over this color and wears it all the time just as successfully as you do! Very nice piecing, too. I'm sad that I didn't spend more time and $ in Ashanti while in LA, since these wonderful wax batiks were so reasonable there. Next time! Oh--almost forgot to say that I hand-pick all of my zippers because I really like the look and I find it's easier. But then, I LIKE handwork...
Mahogany Stylist said... (3/22/08 8:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Love the color and the print.
OP Gal said... (3/22/08 6:34 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I love the fabric.
Stitchcakes said... (3/22/08 4:30 PM) Reply
WANT!!! If you ever have occasion to wear a headwrap, you absolutely should wear this one with this dress. Too awesome!
mahalosu said... (3/22/08 4:05 PM) Reply
That dress is great! You really did a fantastic job. Now I want that back issue. I have some orange silk that is begging to be made into that pattern!
nancy2001 said... (3/22/08 3:39 PM) Reply
Cidell, if you wear your gorgeous dress to a summer wedding, you will outshine the bride.
cindy-lou said... (3/22/08 2:07 PM) Reply
You always rock. LOVE this dress on you!
Ann Smith said... (3/22/08 1:34 PM) Reply
This is fantastic on you. Terrific job with the piecing and placement of the print. Hope many occasions come up to wear it.
crisford said... (3/22/08 12:07 PM) Reply
Wow, this really looks fantastic. I love the headwrap and the fabulous color. The bra cup idea is inspiring too.
jhansby said... (3/22/08 12:06 PM) Reply
Love the dress!! And I love the color on your, too!!
Annette1 said... (3/22/08 2:48 AM) Reply
What a beautiful rendition you've made with the design of your fabric, the piping, and the headwrap, as well (which I love, by the way)! Another winner, but was there ever any doubt? :o)
ColorMeHome said... (3/22/08 1:24 AM) Reply
Super cute dress! Your head wrap is a beautiful bonus! Great job.
Heatherrique said... (3/21/08 10:21 PM) Reply
Oh Cidell! You are adorable and electrifying at the same time! Captivating dress with super symmetry!
Christina Sonja said... (3/21/08 9:39 PM) Reply
You are gonna make some heads turn in that dress (I mean in a good way, of course!).
Markie1 said... (3/21/08 9:11 PM) Reply
Oh Cidell, you are so beautiful in this dress. The attention to detail is amazing, the use of the fabric-so well thought out. Handpicked zipper! Woo hoo! I was there when you took your first stitches....awwwwwww.
Mahler said... (3/21/08 9:00 PM) Reply
This is more then beautiful. The fit of your dress is way better then in Burda's catalogue. Oh la la ! I am impressed. This color is beautiful on you !
Robin Denning said... (3/21/08 8:48 PM) Reply
Divine, delicious, WOW!
Sigrid. said... (3/21/08 7:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful, this dress is full of summer feelings. Just the right pattern for this fabric. Looks fab on you.
sew2little said... (3/21/08 7:00 PM) Reply
Great use of the border for the waist inset, Cidell! I thought for a moment that this was fabric you bought in LA and I was going to congratulate you for being first to post--but it's almost better that you used the technique you used in the workshop. I so enjoyed meeting you in LA! Marci
Sew4Fun said... (3/21/08 6:39 PM) Reply
I L-O-V-E this dress on you!! It's so flattering. The fabric, the colour, the style, the fit and how you used the border print with piping. I'd swear you paid thousands for this dress!
Dei said... (3/21/08 5:15 PM) Reply
Cidell, you work wonders with your fabric choices. Love the added touches of silk underlining and piping. And I especially love the color.
Erica B. said... (3/21/08 4:39 PM) Reply
That dress is fabulous on you! Love it!
jaeng said... (3/21/08 4:26 PM) Reply
I'm in love with this dress. Your version is awesome. Love the fabric.
Sic said... (3/21/08 4:17 PM) Reply
What a statement dress - I am in awe!
crazygrad said... (3/21/08 3:46 PM) Reply
Oh my! That is one of the most gorgeous pics I've ever seen- fab dress and you are beautiful!
mylittleelephant said... (3/21/08 2:29 PM) Reply
Lovely use of fabric as usual, gorgeous!
Leora said... (3/21/08 2:17 PM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful dress!!
Nancywin said... (3/21/08 2:14 PM) Reply
Oh, yeah - it's a keeper
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/21/08 2:04 PM) Reply
OMG your dress is stunning! I have 2 wax prints in my closet that my stepson brought back from Kenya but I could never pull anything like this together. You used all the features of the fabric to it's best advantage. Please keep the headwrap. It absolutely completes the outfit and is beautiful and timeless and feminine.
SandraB said... (3/21/08 2:00 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress. The colour, the style, everything looks great on you.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (3/21/08 1:50 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Looks like you found the perfect pattern to show off that fabric. Looks like it really fits well too.
Nancy K said... (3/21/08 1:46 PM) Reply
It's a great dress and the piping is the perfect accent. The dress perfect on you. Lovely.
CarolynGM said... (3/21/08 1:38 PM) Reply
Well, aren't you just too cute for words in your 60s sundress! The piped waistline is not only a nice embellishment, it is very authentic for the period. Great job on placing the print elements.
jess12 said... (3/21/08 1:29 PM) Reply
Lovely dress!! The fabric is beautiful!
Karen6790 said... (3/21/08 1:28 PM) Reply
That is an amazing color for you and the dress is adorable. If you would actually get some wear out of the head wrap, I would keep it - it looks really good on you and works well with the dress.
Twinset said... (3/21/08 1:21 PM) Reply
Wonderful dress, wonderful fabric! You look fantastic in it!
Cowtown Karen said... (3/21/08 1:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I'm inspired!
nellc said... (3/21/08 1:17 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, the fabric is beautiful, I like the way you have used the border at the waist as well.
MelissaB in WA said... (3/21/08 1:12 PM) Reply
The dress looks gorgeous on you my dear. I love the color on you and great job on all your matching!
EveS said... (3/21/08 1:10 PM) Reply
Oh, I just LOVE this dress!! (Doesn't hurt that it's my favorite color, but regardless...) I love what you did with the border print, and the color is perfect on you...although I'm still waiting for the color that ISN'T. :)
MissCelie said... (3/21/08 12:59 PM) Reply
Sherril: HA! It was only handpicked because of the Susan Khalje class. And I'm still not in love with the beading. As lovely as yours was. I'm waiting for the right project for that.
Sherril Miller said... (3/21/08 12:56 PM) Reply
Great idea using the hand picked zipper. What no beading too? LOL I love the head wrap and the dress is darling, as are you in it.
Em's Summer said... (3/21/08 12:56 PM) Reply
What a fun summery dress!
lilyofthevalley said... (3/21/08 12:52 PM) Reply
Cidell, this dress is really special! A perfect plan to use the selvage as the hemline b/c not only is it authentic to the Ghana source of the fabric, but visually, the tiny white edge reinforces the white piping of the bodice cummerband inset. Beautifully fitted and the color is smashing with your skin tone. You look gorgeous, Lily
stitcheroo said... (3/21/08 12:48 PM) Reply
Wow, that dress looks so great on you. That green is gorgeous.
Maychi said... (3/21/08 12:38 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous dress! You look stunning! I *love* the colour!
Mermie said... (3/21/08 12:29 PM) Reply
What a cute dress! Great job on piecing and matching your print. The color is gorgeous on you.
SueV said... (3/21/08 12:21 PM) Reply
Looks great on you! Love the color. Love your work! Thanks for sharing!
CypGrl said... (3/21/08 12:05 PM) Reply
Dress really suits you, Cidell. It was worth the work over the four months. Hope you will post pix of you wearing it to an event on your blog. One can only guess whom you may meet! :-)
Deepika said... (3/21/08 12:04 PM) Reply
Ok, can I begin? Gorgeous, beautiful, lovely color, exquisite work and great review. Wow!
Peggy L said... (3/21/08 12:00 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! The fit is great and the fabric is so interesting. Love your smile and headwrap!:)

by: cln