Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4076 (knit tops)

Reviewed by:jewelea

Posted on:3/27/08 7:45 PM
Last Updated:3/27/08 8:02 PM
See other patterns in this category: Vests    Tops
rozzybabe said... (11/9/08 7:46 PM) Reply
I read all of your reviews before sewing this top! Thanks for all the great advice. I haven't changed the curve of the neckline yet, since I wanted to see how the original pattern would lay, but now can understand why a curve change would be a good idea. I know you did this review early in the year, but thought I might be able to pass on what I did regarding the neckband. I sewed with panne as well; I viewed the tutorial on inserting lingerie elastic. Because of bulk, I decided to use clear elastic instead, stretching it just slightly while sewing. I then turned the band to the inside, & instead of pressing, (was concerned about flattening the nap), I pinned the band & then stitched-in-the-ditch from the right side. This anchored the remaining band fabric on the wrong side. Finally, I twin-needled under the band, from the right side, laying my presser foot on the edge of the band, so as to keep the stitching close to the band, as would be done in RTW. This not only gave a very nice look, but also gave the inside edge of the band a clean finish without any serging needed! The elastic DEFINITELY makes a difference in the fit of the cross-over; it's snug but comfortable as well! Since you were intending doing more of this top, I thought I'd pass on some ideas, since you shared so many. Wish you very happy sewing!!
blue mooney said... (3/29/08 8:26 AM) Reply
Way to work a pattern! Great review.
Nancy K said... (3/28/08 10:47 AM) Reply
great review. Thanks for the reminder that all patterns can be starting points.
cecelia said... (3/28/08 8:52 AM) Reply
The top is so pretty, and I love your changes. Thanks for all the tips.
Rustybobn said... (3/28/08 8:42 AM) Reply
I really like your raised neckline. Thanks for all the details of how you arrived at the pretty top.
Annette1 said... (3/28/08 0:17 AM) Reply
What a lovely top. I especially like this last version. I can see from your profile photo right next to the project photo how pretty you would look in it, too. I wish I could morph to a 16 in the hips! In my case, I'd be going the opposite direction. :o)
lilyofthevalley said... (3/27/08 9:48 PM) Reply
Wow, Jewelea, your review is a tutorial of the history of your surplice and how to get the best from them. Very useful. And each of your tops is beautiful. Thank for your sharing all your knowledge. -Lily
Em's Summer said... (3/27/08 8:29 PM) Reply
Very cute top! And great tips!
JenSews2 said... (3/27/08 8:03 PM) Reply
Nice job and good adjustments. When you removed the side gathers, did you keep the double front? Are they hemmed separately or together?

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern