Pattern Reviews> Patrones Magazine> 12-2007-38 (Celine Raincoat)

Reviewed by:Natasha R.

About Natasha R.star
Member since: 4/23/03

Posted on:3/31/08 3:32 AM
Last Updated:3/31/08 3:32 AM

Tany said... (3/25/09 8:17 AM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this pattern; I plan on sewing it next fall. Your raincoat looks wonderful and your review is excellent!
lilyofthevalley said... (4/1/08 12:40 PM) Reply
Very stylish and fashion forward; your attention to details makes it more so. I too think you'll have many opportunities to wear this lovely coat, rain or no rain. And of course, you look smashing in the coat. A difficult job, very well done, indeed. Absolutely lovely, Lily
Natasha R. said... (3/31/08 10:19 PM) Reply
Thank you all for your kind words! squirrellypoo -- I don't know for sure what the gray fabric is -- the place where I got it is kind of a dumping ground for random unlabeled bolts of fabric of varying quality and the people who work there don't usually know the fiber content either. I asked if it was waterproof, and the woman there opened her water bottle and poured a little on the fabric. We concluded yes. I do think it's a nylon (I might have even burned it to test?), and it's really fine and lightweight. It was very floaty before I added the lining. Before I found this, I was going to try to find fabric on the internet, and I was thinking my search term would be "nylon taffeta", but I just tried that now and didn't get much. A possible source (although their online catalogue drives me crazy) is this -- http://www.rosecitytextiles.com/product-browser.aspx. I've ordered from them before, but their photos are useless and you must order samples to know what you're getting first!
trinicity said... (3/31/08 5:12 PM) Reply
wow, this came out great, so pretty
Christina Sonja said... (3/31/08 3:06 PM) Reply
Just stunning! So stylin'.
fuzzygalore said... (3/31/08 3:00 PM) Reply
Don't worry, it looks like you're going to get plenty of opportunity to try it out this season yet :-). Seriously, I looked long and hard for a lining as water resistant as my raincoat's fabric, and I've never regretted it. The few times when I've really soaked through, it was easy enough for the nylon to dry out completely (if it leaks in, it leaks out). What I did that worked great was to seal the seams with camping stuff on the inside, but it's so many years that it's worn off alas, and I'm too lazy to open it up and do it again. Go with Nikwax for water resistance refreshes in the future.
Markie1 said... (3/31/08 1:28 PM) Reply
This coat is an amazing accomplishment, and I wouldn't worry, you will wear this in many rainy seasons to come! I love it.
LindsayT said... (3/31/08 12:08 PM) Reply
Nice work!!
lcavagnolo said... (3/31/08 11:55 AM) Reply
Fantastic!
CatMukai said... (3/31/08 11:19 AM) Reply
Beautiful! Great job!
meli88a said... (3/31/08 9:10 AM) Reply
great coat and review. I agree with you, the wide covered placket, the neck, are wonderful details. You constructed them so well, too!
Sew_Creative said... (3/31/08 9:09 AM) Reply
I love it and you should be proud. I know how difficult it can be to work with fabric like this so bravo to you.
Beek said... (3/31/08 8:30 AM) Reply
I love the result of your "puckered" seams. It does give it interest and texture. Your turquoise lining is perfect! Wonderful coat!
Nancy K said... (3/31/08 7:53 AM) Reply
Great results! Enjoy the rain!
Ronda Rae said... (3/31/08 7:28 AM) Reply
Very nice! I'm so jealous of the fabric stores! I wanna go!!!! Your raincoat is wonderful!
Sigrid. said... (3/31/08 7:02 AM) Reply
Fantastic coat. I love all the details of this. Indeed very professional.
MissCelie said... (3/31/08 6:55 AM) Reply
That, is pretty fantastic. Your detailing and topstitching are amazing.
susinok said... (3/31/08 6:33 AM) Reply
You'll have plenty of cool days where you can wear it. I wear my trenches in the cold wind here in Oklahoma even when it isn't raining. It's a fabulous coat!
squirrellypoo said... (3/31/08 6:18 AM) Reply
I love it! Do you know the name or the fiber content of your exterior fabric? I've got a raincoat on my to make list and yours looks SO much more svelte than the oilcloth I was contemplating!
CarolynGM said... (3/31/08 5:59 AM) Reply
Very fashionable coat. What meticulous attention to the details too. Well done!
Lori V said... (3/31/08 4:51 AM) Reply
Fabulous coat, Natasha, your details are incredible.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (3/31/08 3:51 AM) Reply
This is so fabulous, it looks incredibly professional and the detailing is superb. I have and love this pattern, but am a bit nervous about attempting it (especially with zero spanish skills!) so your review is really encouraging and helpful, thank you

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2011-123