Pattern Reviews> Islander Sewing Systems> 207 (Irish Coat)

Reviewed by:Miss Fairchild

About Miss Fairchildstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/12/08 10:08 PM
Last Updated:1/1/11 6:01 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Klutzy said... (1/16/15 10:21 AM) Reply
Yiu should warn people not to read your review while drinking a beverage--I nearly ruined my computer when I read the green grape comment! I saw the patterns on their site and fell in love this coat, but it's too much for me at this stage. I'm surprised by the poor instructions too, since that's supposed to be a major selling point of their patterns. Unfortunately your link no longer works. Can you please re-post your pictures? I'd love to see how it looks. Could the film be Ryan's Daughter?
AnneM said... (8/26/13 8:22 PM) Reply
Thank you for this review. I'm looking at various coat options, and this one is an interesting variation. Good to know the fabric width requirement, as well as the shaky instructions.
KathySews said... (12/8/11 7:55 AM) Reply
What a great review. I have had my eye on this coat because it is so unusual. Still trying to decide if it will work on a DD chest. I am surprised that the instructions were not clear, hopefully Islander is listening.
GlButterfly said... (1/2/11 2:36 AM) Reply
That style is quite different and has been done well by you. I'm a little surprised by the lack of instructions but you managed because of experience.
FreyaStark said... (1/1/11 9:39 PM) Reply
An intriguing pattern for an interesting and distinctive garment. Thanks for a useful review.
appleton78 said... (5/27/08 3:32 PM) Reply
OMGosh...You are too funny. Green Grape Goddess??? Loved this review...and I believe that I am off to try this pattern...with your revisions...Thanks a million!
Luckylibbet said... (5/14/08 12:45 PM) Reply
Great review, with lots of very sound advice. Very intriguing design - and it looks like it cam out great!
Miss Fairchild said... (5/14/08 8:45 AM) Reply
Lucy, yes, I can recommend it, if they have done collars and cuffs before. There aren't a lot of instructions for these two items, just a couple of pictures. Also, I'd suggest, after reading another review, to make the pockets single welt, instead of double welt.
Lucy in Virginia said... (5/13/08 5:11 PM) Reply
This is a nice coat. Do you recommend for advanced beginners?
Miss Fairchild said... (5/13/08 3:30 PM) Reply
Well thank you Bell N for your kind words. I don't recall the movie...maybe "Babette's Feast"? Or some Irish movie.. The woman was standing in front of a window, facing her father, as she came in a door, and she took off this coat. I can't remember much else from the movie; the coat had that much of an impression on me....
bell N said... (5/13/08 8:12 AM) Reply
I think you are a little hard on yourself. I liked both versions, even the first one. Do you recall the name of the movie that inspired you?
LouiseS said... (5/12/08 10:26 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this. I made it in a navy blue fleece and used velcro for the shoulder as I wasn't sure I could do buttonholes properly in the fleece. The fleece hem wanted to roll out, but now that I finally bought a serger, I'll just overcast the hem I think. A friend's mother has this done up in a poplin and it looks beautiful. If I try that, I'll try your lining technique also. Thanks so much, and enjoy!