Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1052 (Issey Miyake)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/13/08 6:35 PM
Last Updated:5/13/08 6:40 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 38 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Pants
ALF840 said... (6/27/11 5:22 PM) Reply
I printed out your review and tucked it into my pattern envelope! Thank you for such amazing detail and great hints. Your lovely version motivates me to go for it.
Sew4Fun said... (7/3/09 5:27 AM) Reply
Great jacket! It really suits you. I bought this pattern today so thanks for the helpful review.
Ann Smith said... (6/8/08 12:23 PM) Reply
Leslie, the pants are Marcy Tilton's pant pattern from Vogue. I've made and like all three pants included in the pattern.
Leslie Bonner said... (6/7/08 12:01 PM) Reply
Ann, Another superb garment! What pants are you wearing with it? I like them better than the pattern pants.
Selina said... (5/19/08 11:11 PM) Reply
Oooh, absolutely love it!! I think it looks better on you than the model in the pattern book! Fantastic job, I just might have to try this one.
pinkli said... (5/19/08 6:21 PM) Reply
What a lovely version you have made of this interesting pattern: stunning. I really wanted to make this for my entry too, but couldn't stick to my budget if I bought *another* pattern! Now that I've seen your results I'd like it even more. The fabric colour is spot on for you too: you look stunning. Enjoy wearing it, and sewing the rest of your entry
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/16/08 6:22 PM) Reply
I am a Miyake fan too. You look fantastic and your jacket is beautiful. Love, love.
Beek said... (5/16/08 5:28 PM) Reply
I have had my eye on this pattern. I, too, am a huge Issey fan. I have some real oldies in my stash. And they sell for big bucks on ebay! Anyway, your jacket is fabulous. You've inspired me to purchase yet another Issey pattern!
layla said... (5/16/08 3:38 PM) Reply
Very very nice .. you are the perfect PR lady to show us this one .. I am always amazed how you work the ones that look tricky. Perfect !!
Dobedowawa said... (5/16/08 12:45 PM) Reply
Ann, you have done it once again! You gave me the inspiration to sew the IM twist top, and I have been a fan of the IM patterns ever since. I have fabric for it, and it was a tough search as I do it mostly on-line and drape is so very important forthis one. Your jacket is gorgeous! Thank you for a great review.
Kellie R. said... (5/15/08 5:21 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous! The fabric works beautifully with this pattern. I'm currently working with linen/silk blend and have plenty left for another project.. hmmm
Winifred said... (5/14/08 6:27 PM) Reply
I like this very much - it looks super. As I think we're much the same shape I may get the pattern and have a go myself !
carolynw said... (5/14/08 4:44 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse and your usual great work Ann - thanks for such a helpful review
Ann Smith said... (5/14/08 1:14 PM) Reply
Pat T: You could do it with just one collar to look different. The construction would be the same. The drape is needed for the collar to fall nicely. If you use a very soft, drapey fabric like some rayons you would probably want to underline the jacket to have enough structure to support the collar.
Pat T said... (5/14/08 1:03 PM) Reply
Ann - I love Miyake designs and bought this as soon as I saw it in case it disappeared! A couple of questions based on your experience: after I make it once as the pattern shows, to make it look different how would it look with just one of the collars? And you said a fabric with body AND drape -- it that because the bodice need the body but the collar needs to drape? And how would a rayon do?
Luckylibbet said... (5/14/08 12:38 PM) Reply
Wonderful! I too never thought it would look good on a 'real' woman, boy did you prove me wrong. You look stunning in this blouse/jacket. Your modifications, as usual, spot on.
sew2little said... (5/14/08 11:55 AM) Reply
Oh, you clever woman! This is, as usual, a masterpiece. Marci
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/14/08 11:20 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket - you wear it very well!
meli88a said... (5/14/08 11:12 AM) Reply
i love this jacket, and am so glad you reviewed it!
Barbara V said... (5/14/08 10:11 AM) Reply
Your jacket/blouse is gorgeous and looks fantastic on you! The alterations were clever and make it even more versatile and wearable year round. Great job!
merteuil said... (5/14/08 9:37 AM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful and looks so much nicer than the Vogue picture. I was not sure about this pattern, but now I think I have to get it!
SherryD said... (5/14/08 8:59 AM) Reply
Ann, I love it! This pattern has move near the top of my project list. Now to decide on a fabric, linen, silk, solid....
Lalena said... (5/14/08 8:22 AM) Reply
Ann: Beautiful jacket! I've had my eye on this pattern, and yesterday when Vogues were on sale online, I bought it, so I was delighted to see your review today. I think that your choice of color is perfect--the sophisiticated brown eliminates any "too cute" factor that the ruffles of the collar might suggest. I think that I will line mine because I want it to be more jacket-like. Any further suggestions from you as to the appropriate fabric type would be very kind!
Modiste Madness said... (5/14/08 8:22 AM) Reply
I love your modifications. It makes it much more wearable for others. I love your version. As always it looks wonderful on you.
ITAdmin said... (5/14/08 7:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great, informative review. The collar info is especially useful. Your jacket is beautiful in the chosen fabric.
inkstain said... (5/14/08 6:29 AM) Reply
You've made it into a really wow look with the right haircut, jewellery and pants. Knowing that this combination could compete with any New York stylist should have you wearing this with confidence.
Gold said... (5/14/08 6:24 AM) Reply
Vey nice job!Beautiful blouse!
BillieJean said... (5/14/08 6:23 AM) Reply
I have this pattern and you have just inspired me to get with it and make it. Beautiful jacket!
Cristina_TC said... (5/14/08 6:04 AM) Reply
Great work, and hooray for Miyake!
Danvillegirl said... (5/14/08 5:15 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. You wear these styles so well.
Twinset said... (5/14/08 2:20 AM) Reply
Great jacket, and great choice of fabric too! Love the color and the drape of your silk/linen, it's just perfect!
SueV said... (5/14/08 1:02 AM) Reply
Really nice! Looks great. Great review.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/14/08 0:53 AM) Reply
What a stunning jacket Anne, you look fabulous in it. Beautiful roses too !
Caitycat said... (5/14/08 0:34 AM) Reply
Wow, what a beautiful jacket on you - well done!
DorothyK said... (5/13/08 11:54 PM) Reply
Ann, this is fabulous. It really looks great on you. Can't wait to make it.
lmg said... (5/13/08 11:46 PM) Reply
I went and got this pattern too as soon as it came out. Looks every better than I imagined. Thanks for the tips on the collar.
Ann Smith said... (5/13/08 11:34 PM) Reply
Terri K: no problem leaving off the ties, they are just inserted in seams. You might want to curve in the side seams a bit to pull it in a little.
Sew Confused said... (5/13/08 9:40 PM) Reply
Ann, you look fabulous in this jacket. I'm going to have to give this pattern a second look. Well done!
Mahler said... (5/13/08 9:34 PM) Reply
Ann, I am so happy to read your review. I am planning this pattern for fall 2008. Thank you for this very instructive review. The final result is stunning. Congratulations !
papago said... (5/13/08 9:31 PM) Reply
I love this pattern. It looks great on you. It has been in my to do list, but I, too, am waiting for the sale. Beautiful job. Laura
nadinec said... (5/13/08 9:20 PM) Reply
Wow! Your jacket is awesome! I am also a Miyake fan and have made many of his styles (and have many MORE that are as yet unmade!). I've had my eye on this, but am waiting for $3.99 sale at Joann Fabrics, cheapskate that I am, LOL. This looks great on you, and you did a fabulous job, and thanks for the tips about eliminating the lining and interfacing - I'll do the same.
Terri K said... (5/13/08 9:02 PM) Reply
Great review and so timely - thank you! I cut this jacket out right after the pattern sale at Vogue and roll hem serged the edges of my collar pieces but gave up after whacking a chunk out of the Liberty cotton one. So it waits until I muster the patience to cut out another. Would this work without the tie in the back?
Nancy K said... (5/13/08 8:48 PM) Reply
This is just wonderful and I love how it looks on you. I think I may go and purchase this in the one day sale! I haven't made a Miyake in years. This one looks like a good choice.
pterion said... (5/13/08 8:11 PM) Reply
How lovely! It looks very chic and yet extremely wearable. You wear it well!
Athene said... (5/13/08 7:40 PM) Reply
This looks lovely on you. I like the pattern envelope picture, but I like your version more.
solosmocker said... (5/13/08 7:19 PM) Reply
I love Miyake also and treasure my patterns from way back when. Your blouse is awesome. I like it open best of all. The fabric is perfect for the design.
Kaitlinnegan said... (5/13/08 6:45 PM) Reply
This looks great - I have to admit, when I saw the pattern I never thought it would look this good on a "real person." Great work!

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap