Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4287 (men's guayabera (OOP))

Reviewed by:Elona

About Elonastar
Posted on:5/21/08 1:45 AM
Last Updated:7/2/13 2:51 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 41 people

Bikernando said... (8/4/14 11:23 AM) Reply
That is just beautiful. I am wanting to make one for my dad. I recently embarked on sewing so I am not advanced but I think I can pull it off. Im sending my mom a sleeping gown and dont want to leave daddio hanging. If anyone has this guayabera pattern and like to share please let me know. I cant find it anywhere!
Liana Krissoff said... (4/14/14 9:00 AM) Reply
This is beautiful. I'm about to embark on a similar project using this pattern, and your notes and photos are very helpful. Thanks so much for posting.
WoodfordGormley said... (8/31/13 11:48 AM) Reply
Beautiful guayabera! I wish I could find this patterns so I could make them for my son and husband. Is there such a thing as a pattern library? If not, there should be. I know patterns would be trickier than say, books, to lend, but really, in this digital age, could we not scan them and archive on computers? anyway, beautiful shirt, and how nice to be able to sew something so important for your son.
Amanda.Claire said... (7/2/13 7:08 PM) Reply
Unbelievable! Fabulous shirt and work you put into this!!
Rhoda K said... (7/2/13 7:55 AM) Reply
I have to agree with all the above - exquisite!Thanks for the updated photos!
DaisyEsq said... (7/2/13 7:36 AM) Reply
Incredible! I like that you matched the shirt's motifs to the bride's dress.
MNBarb said... (7/2/13 7:20 AM) Reply
What a work of art!
lakaribane said... (7/1/13 10:05 PM) Reply
I am sooo impressed. If you had to break out the mini-iron, it's serious, LOL! Fantastic shirt and a lovely contribution to the wedding! Oh, and guayaberas are very popular here too, white linen in particular. (Our president and prime minister seem to own an infinite variation but that's another story right there!) And now I need this pattern in my life, LOL!
Rhoda K said... (7/1/13 7:16 PM) Reply
Your photos no longer available - would love to see updated ones.
JillyBe said... (6/28/11 5:19 PM) Reply
Great review and VERY helpful - thank you!
Grunter said... (10/3/10 3:26 AM) Reply
I am looking for a copy for sale anyone?
ElizabethDee said... (3/23/10 10:14 AM) Reply
Your work takes my breath away.
lally266 said... (12/14/09 4:04 PM) Reply
does anyone have this pattern for sale?
Brattyzmom said... (8/5/09 1:11 PM) Reply
This shirt is an amazing work of art. My husband wants o shirt in this style--do you know where I can find the pattern? It is not abvailable from the supplier any longer.
PhyllisC said... (7/30/08 9:45 AM) Reply
Very cool shirt on a cool dude!
mssewcrazy said... (7/29/08 8:03 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful shirt and a fabulous idea to make it for your son's wedding day.
Linda E. said... (6/7/08 9:20 AM) Reply
Wow that is beautiful.. love the details.
CarolynGM said... (6/4/08 1:03 PM) Reply
Your son's wedding shirt looks like a true labor of love. Thanks for all the detail about how you did the embroidery and pleats. Great review.
Peggy L said... (6/4/08 11:15 AM) Reply
Wonderful shirt! You did a beautiful job on this. thanks for sharing your son's special day.
fuzzygalore said... (5/22/08 1:30 PM) Reply
OH, how nice to see people doing a wedding on the beach again, instead of those stuffy affairs. The kids looks beautiful, and you did a great job of tying in to the theme of the bride's dress. What a great shirt, what a great Mom :-).
kim*brown said... (5/22/08 11:39 AM) Reply
Very nice.
Debbie Cook said... (5/22/08 7:46 AM) Reply
Great review, beautiful shirt! Congrats on your son's wedding. It looks like it was a lot of fun.
JayeKing said... (5/22/08 7:11 AM) Reply
I just bought my first sewing machine a few weeks ago and I am teaching myself to sew. Now that I understand the work that sewing entails, I am awed by your workmanship and can see the love that went into the shirt. Congratulations also on the wedding of your son!
CynthiaSue said... (5/22/08 2:05 AM) Reply
Wow, I'm stunned!! thank you for an utterly original, heirloom sewing project. My husband is IN LOVE with latin culture and this would be an incredible gift. What a wonderful bond to have with your son to make the shirt he wears on is wedding day. It's beautiful!
Modiste Madness said... (5/22/08 0:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for your extremely detailed review. I learned a great deal from it. My main impression was how nice it was your could do this for your son. Such items make a special day more special and create long links for memory in the future. Thanks for sharing.
EveS said... (5/21/08 10:12 PM) Reply
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day that I was totally smitten with a man's shirt!! (heck, I barely LIKE most of the pattern offerings out there) This is just beautiful, and the PERFECT wedding attire - equal in importance to bridalwear! Beats the heck out of some nasty poly tux, that's for sure! Ok, back to my mundane sewing now, but my heart is still going pitter-pat. :)
jent said... (5/21/08 8:56 PM) Reply
This is so lovely. Your review is excellent too. What a special special gift for your son.
Annette1 said... (5/21/08 6:37 PM) Reply
How very unique, and such a lovely gift to your son. The front is outstanding, but I REALLY love the back!
bananaoil said... (5/21/08 6:08 PM) Reply
You did a wonderful job with that shirt. Your son looks great in it, and you're right, beautiful too, and HAPPY. Thanks for the review. Congratulations Mom!
blue mooney said... (5/21/08 5:49 PM) Reply
Lots of mamas make bridal gowns. It's great that you made your son's wedding garment! Thank you for reviewing this pattern, especially the comparison with vintage examples. I have it in stash and the spouse loves guyaberas.
Elona said... (5/21/08 4:54 PM) Reply
Gee, ladies, thanks for your kind comments! I hope my efforts inspire you to make a guayabera for your guys, too.
Ann Smith said... (5/21/08 3:02 PM) Reply
What a beautiful shirt and inspiring review. This looks so much better than any guayabera I've ever seen. Often they are so boxy but this has such a nice shape. Bravo!
carolynw said... (5/21/08 11:39 AM) Reply
How incredibly beautiful and what a great idea to sew this for your son and wonderful that his wedding plans fit in with this. Beautiful son and well done proud MOG
Lisa Laree said... (5/21/08 10:01 AM) Reply
Elona, this is absolutely fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!
Mary Stiefer said... (5/21/08 9:55 AM) Reply
Wjhat a wonderful present to give to your son. It looks fabulous and comfortable - what a great combination.
Leora said... (5/21/08 9:43 AM) Reply
Beautiful details. You can see the love in this shirt.
CatMukai said... (5/21/08 9:17 AM) Reply
"a large number of nonfunctional buttons" - love it! You did a great job!
Jacqui315 said... (5/21/08 8:59 AM) Reply
Beautiful shirt and fantastic review. I have this pattern because my dad use to wear these shirts. I hope to make one for my son. Such wonderful detail you've provided both in your finished garment and review. Thanks!
sew42mom said... (5/21/08 8:51 AM) Reply
How beautiful! I love to embroider so I know that you spent lots of time and I would imagine a lot of love on this shirt.
Mahler said... (5/21/08 8:37 AM) Reply
This shirt is something ! Congratulations for sewing such an original wedding shirt. The hand embroidery really impress me. Bravo !
Beek said... (5/21/08 8:35 AM) Reply
How fabulous!
cindyann said... (5/21/08 8:24 AM) Reply
Ohhhh nice! I've always wanted to make my DH a guayabera. Your son's shirt is just lovely!
Kellie R. said... (5/21/08 8:19 AM) Reply
Just fantastic!!!!!!! You did a great job on the details! Thanks so much for a great review!
nellc said... (5/21/08 8:03 AM) Reply
This is beautiful work and I just love that you made your son the shirt to wear on his wedding day.
Nancy Rhodes said... (5/21/08 7:10 AM) Reply
Elona Congratuations to your son & bride. Wonderful & beautiful outcome on the G shirt. You are always inspiring....
BillieJean said... (5/21/08 6:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful shirt. I can't imagine that I will ever have a call to make something like this, but yours is lovely and your review so helpful.
squirrellypoo said... (5/21/08 6:43 AM) Reply
Wow, your attention to detail on this shirt rivals most wedding gowns! Congratulations, it looks amazing.
Birgitte said... (5/21/08 2:35 AM) Reply
I love this shirt. It is simply stunning. Thank you for the excellent review and congratulations on your handsome son and beautiful DIL' wedding. This shirt is art.
goldesdottar said... (5/21/08 2:17 AM) Reply
It is a great review, and good detail offered about the pattern - the shaping of the side seams, for instance - and your process, and then the historic information about the shirt style. This is so much more impressive than the poly/cotton blend & machine embroidered versions i remember from the '70s. Your shirt shows the beauty the style can have. Congratulations - and how nice not to have to tackle a tux to do sewing for your son's wedding! ;-}
Heatherbelle said... (5/20/08 11:55 PM) Reply
That is just beautiful, what a wonderfully stylish shirt with such detailing. I might have to get this pattern for my husband, he is the same height and weight as your son so I can see how the shirt would look (sadly mine wouldn't be exquisitely detailed...)!

by: penelopey4

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three