Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5042 (6 Great Looks 1 easy Pattern)

Reviewed by:TalyQ

Last Updated:6/3/08 2:15 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

Other Projects by TalyQ using this Pattern

QuickFade said... (9/7/08 12:47 PM) Reply
I wonder if you can use a very lightweight but stable cotton rather than lining fabric for the lining. This would likely eliminate the excessive growing of the fabric as well as making the dress more breathable and comfortable when it's warm. I like to line cotton with cotton whenever possible for this reason, especially for washable garments.
carolynw said... (6/3/08 8:59 AM) Reply
Really pretty dress - sorry to hear about your problems with the lining
Erica B. said... (6/3/08 8:58 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Your daughter looks stunning.
Darla in PA said... (6/3/08 6:40 AM) Reply
The dress looks very good on your daughter.
Peacock Chic said... (6/3/08 2:43 AM) Reply
wow that came out great. Love it!
TalyQ said... (6/3/08 2:12 AM) Reply
Thank you all for those encouraging comments. This was the first things I sewed after 6 months (and a new baby and moving to a new house), so it was quite challenging. But I hoping to sew more now again. As for the lining. I bought some new lining here at the store (very limited fabric supplies) and it was stiff when I bought it. But after the wash it went to limp and kept growing and growing and was a pain to work with. I am so mad, because it actually almost ruined the dress for me =(. I had to even out the hem 3 time, because it kept growing on the bias constantly. And after the first wash, the lining to bigger even in the bodice and contributed to it not fitting properly at the neckline. I do not know how I am going to solve this problem for the future, since we have very few fabric stores nad none of the fabrics have tags or content on them. I might ask some seamstresses in town though where to get some better lining. I must finish the muslin for her to wear.... thank you again for commenting.
nursesarah79 said... (6/3/08 1:07 AM) Reply
What a cute dress!! Your daughter looks beautiful!
salruss said... (6/2/08 10:43 PM) Reply
What a wonderful dress! And I agree with you completely about those invisible zip instructions. I'm still looking for some good instructions too.
greenandlilac said... (6/2/08 10:31 PM) Reply
I looked at your blog. You know there is a good vaccine for chicken pox now. Is it available in Serbia? There is also a vaccine for shingles now too.
Meggie LuLu said... (6/2/08 9:03 PM) Reply
That is such a CUTE dress!!! You did an excellent job!!!! I'm sure your daughter will LOVE this dress!!!! You must be a wonderful mom!!!
Tiner W said... (6/2/08 8:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress--and very age appropriate for your DD. She'll always remember this!
lilyofthevalley said... (6/2/08 7:47 PM) Reply
TalyQ, your daughter's dress is gorgeous, perfectly suited to her age, and your fitting and detail work is exquisite. Your hand sewing around the zipper is perfection, itself. What a wonderful gift you've given your daughter for her school graduation. Very lovely, Lily
Kaitlinnegan said... (6/2/08 7:43 PM) Reply
Lovely dress! I made the Butterick version of this pattern last year, and found it required a lot of fitting too (and still didn't come out right). It looks like it fits wonderfully now! What fabric did you use for the lining?
QuiltSewSewSue said... (6/2/08 6:42 PM) Reply
Dress looks lovely - it was worth the effort in doing the fit. I also love the touches like the lace on the hemline!
rockontinyrebel said... (6/2/08 6:10 PM) Reply