Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8393 (Misses' Top)

Reviewed by:merteuil

About merteuilstar
Switzerland
Member since: 3/18/08
Posted on:6/10/08 3:30 AM
Last Updated:6/10/08 3:30 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
mengrgrl said... (11/14/08 4:19 PM) Reply
I love your fabric choice...very cute
merteuil said... (6/12/08 5:32 AM) Reply
Thank you all for your great comments! I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of the bow now... @Mahler, thanks so much for the links to other patterns with ties, they are a great inspiration. @SI mom of three, I think I'll give your solution a try, I think I just have enough fabric left. @ladybirdlove, the stiff ruffle is an absolutely brilliant idea. Looks like I'll end up making 4 or 5 versions of this top...
LindsayT said... (6/11/08 9:08 AM) Reply
Trés couture! Well done.
donna mel said... (6/11/08 7:35 AM) Reply
LOVE the fabric! this is a muslin? beautiful.
Karen8320 said... (6/11/08 4:10 AM) Reply
Wow! This is fantastic and you look fabulous in it! I actually think the bow looks great and I think, without it, the top would be a bit plain-looking. You've done a great job!
parisf said... (6/10/08 11:53 PM) Reply
Vous avez tort! Le noeud de papillon est adorable. Vous devez le gardez. parisf@comcast.net
ladybirdlove said... (6/10/08 11:14 PM) Reply
OOoh I'm going to get this pattern and eliminate the bow too! I would love to see a stiff ruffle across the top in front...
Annette1 said... (6/10/08 5:15 PM) Reply
I LOVE that bow! I think the fact that it's in the same fabric as the top itself make it such that it's not too cutesy or over the top, and I'm not usually real big on bows (although I've seen several tops with wide straps tied in bows at the shoulder, and I like them, too). I also like that the bow is a BIG bow that really makes a statement, not some dinky little, apologetic bow. At any rate, bow or no bow, you look GREAT in this top, and it's so well made, to boot.
lilyofthevalley said... (6/10/08 4:33 PM) Reply
How utterly elegant! This pattern and your fabric are a perfect marriage, and your fitting is perfect, too. I think you need to learn to love the bow because it looks fabulous. Not everyone *can* wear a bow, but you can, and should! Truly lovely, Lily
kim*brown said... (6/10/08 4:21 PM) Reply
Love this!
lcavagnolo said... (6/10/08 11:56 AM) Reply
I've always given this pattern a second look but never bought it. I think it was the bow, of which I am normally not a fan, but I really like your version! So, like others, I think you should actually keep it. :)
Elona said... (6/10/08 10:50 AM) Reply
Lovely work, and what a cute top!
avancleve said... (6/10/08 10:34 AM) Reply
Very cute....my favorate part of the top is the bow!
Lisa Merry said... (6/10/08 10:24 AM) Reply
I understand your feeling of being "gift-wrapped" but I have to say I love the bow! And the fabric too - this top is so cute and looks great on you!!
SI mom of three said... (6/10/08 9:11 AM) Reply
I think the bow looks nice. JMO. From the looks of the pattern envelope, the white top looks like just the top is diffrent from the one you made. Why not just use that pattern piece instead? Another thought would be to lay out the top pattern pieces and figure out where the knot would be, draw a stitching line, add a seam allowance to that(5/8). Cut out of muslin and try it that way if you just do the top of the bodice you shouldn't need that much to test it to see if you like it. Hope that helps.
Mahler said... (6/10/08 8:53 AM) Reply
Comme c'est joli ! Congratulation for this exquisite combination of great pattern and superbe fabric. You look lovely with that ! I am not very bow oriented either but, I thought it looked great. I cannot believe this is your musline. I am looking forward to seeing the "real one". As far as the bow is concerned, you could shorten the ties and slim them toward the end. You could refer to Shinta's review presented for the wardrobe contest (that she won). There is a dress with a shorter tie that looks great http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=28220 Also littlejazzbird just made a dress with a pattern that has a similar tie that also looked so good http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=29215. Good luck !
Puppy said... (6/10/08 8:37 AM) Reply
That is a fantastic top! I LOVE the bow...and I'm not normally fond of bows. I just think it make the top a knock-out. Formidable!
pinkli said... (6/10/08 8:22 AM) Reply
How sweet, and well finished
Gold said... (6/10/08 7:47 AM) Reply