Online Sewing Class: All About Linings

Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 74692-1001 (Raglan Zip-up Jacket)

Reviewed by:Richy

Last Updated:1/1/09 9:51 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Christas said... (1/12/09 8:09 PM) Reply
VERY stylish jacket! Your drafting looks perfect! Your fabric choices are also very wonderful.
HLT said... (1/8/09 9:09 AM) Reply
Superb job on this jacket!!! Excellent and extra special details!
jamesosews said... (1/4/09 7:52 PM) Reply
That is one great jacket. Excellent job with the design details, the blue buttonholes in particular. It's always interesting when you find great suiting fabric and give it a non-suit view. Great workmanship on the jacket! You're so right about men's patterns. I have the opposite issue when it comes to fit; 52 inch chest and 36 inch waist. Patterns are impossible. I draft my own as well. It's easier to do that than to take the design of someone else, take it apart, and put it back together. By the time you've hacked the pattern to pieces and taped it back together, it never quite works out the way you hope. You can only increase/decrease so much. Nothing makes buttonholes like those old buttonholers. My Bernina one-step buttonholes are quick, easy, and still just not the same. I usually work buttonholes with my old Kenmore and the attachment.
Lady_Mame said... (1/3/09 2:19 PM) Reply
That's really slick-- can we get a pic of it on a person?
michellep74 said... (1/2/09 1:20 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket! If I could draft a jacket, I know that my fiance would love something like this.
charleneand2 said... (1/2/09 12:36 PM) Reply
This jacket is amazing. The fabric and design are so compelling. Congratulations on a job well done!
shesflipped said... (1/2/09 12:01 PM) Reply
Fabulous Jacket! Love the fabric, the pop of color on the buttonholes, and the very unique buttons. Thanks for sharing your work with us!
marec said... (1/2/09 11:59 AM) Reply
This is a very strong piece-I love it. You are right about men's patterns-gad! And the sizing?! Your jacket is very nice-great job.
amy in mpls said... (1/2/09 11:42 AM) Reply
fantastic! im working on that BBW raglan jacket as a gift. Its great to see how you translated it for a mans pattern. I love your button addition. nice work!
nellc said... (1/2/09 10:53 AM) Reply
Great jacket, I love the combination of the suit fabric and sporty styling and the buttons are a wonderful detail.
Richy said... (1/2/09 9:15 AM) Reply
MammaJamma, men's pattern drafting I think is a bit easier because you don't really need to worry about darts. I used a lot of the measurements off of another jacket because it fit me so well. Making the muslin really helped especially with the sleeves. Luckylibbet, it is not lined but I found some bias tape in the same color as the buttonholes so I used that to cover the raw edges (I didn't have an overlock machine at the time). It looks really cool to see the splash of color when the jacket is off but it does make it a bit stiff in the armholes...
Woolygal said... (1/2/09 9:11 AM) Reply
I am impressed. This is very professional looking.
Sharon1952 said... (1/2/09 8:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful job. I love the little cuff detail with the tabs coming forward. Great job on the buttonholes too.
Luckylibbet said... (1/2/09 8:02 AM) Reply
Terrific jacket! love the buttons and the pop of the blue thread on the buttonholes - did you line it and if yes with what?
anetJay said... (1/2/09 6:03 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket !!! I love the fabric :)
MammaJamma said... (1/2/09 1:36 AM) Reply
You did a fabulous job!!! So neat and so classic, yet very current. I would like to know more about drafting men's patterns. Did you use a jacket you already wear? Did you use a workable pattern outline from another project? I agree with your opinion on availablility of men's patterns.
Karen8320 said... (1/2/09 0:26 AM) Reply
Great work Richy! This is one very smart looking jacket and your fabric and buttons are good choices. I'm impressed by your pattern drafting skills and look forward to seeing more of your creations.
Sew4Fun said... (1/1/09 11:57 PM) Reply
What a fabulous jacket! You did a wonderful job on the drafting. It's so nice to see such a fashionable men's casual jacket. You're right about the variety of men's patterns being laughable. Well done!
QuiltersFan said... (1/1/09 11:28 PM) Reply
Great jacket, wonderful details and very nice review. Thanks.
Laurasews said... (1/1/09 11:14 PM) Reply
You are very talented. My son wants a sewing machine...you inspire me to give in!
cabinbaby said... (1/1/09 11:10 PM) Reply
Great jacket! I love the subtle pattern on this. You may want to try Jalie or Kwiksew patterns. I have the same problem and I use their kids' sizes. I just looked at the Kwiksew patterns and their XL Boy's chest size is 32". You'll have to do some tweaking but it might be a place to start.
Kathy in NM said... (1/1/09 11:05 PM) Reply
Nice jacket - very stylish! The plaid lines match perfectly!!! Great job drafting the pattern.
Kay Y said... (1/1/09 10:32 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great!
bananaoil said... (1/1/09 9:56 PM) Reply
I like your jacket, it is truly stylish combining the traditional menswear plaid with the sportswear design; quite edgy.
Kathleen Fasanella said... (6/18/08 11:23 AM) Reply
This is shaping up quite nicely. My BIL has the same problem.
anncie1 said... (6/18/08 2:09 AM) Reply
NICE! Will definately check back on the finished project. Liked the chair too. I remember reading your review.
Leslie in NZ said... (6/17/08 8:52 PM) Reply
Well, the muslin looks great!! Your pattern drafing skills are impressive. Your planned jacket sounds fabulous, I am looking forward to seeing it.
Nancy K said... (6/17/08 6:01 PM) Reply
I am impressed and envious that you can draft such a great looking pattern. Your fabric choice and those terrific buttons are going to make wonderful jacket. Can't wait to see it finished?
MaryBeth said... (6/17/08 5:30 PM) Reply
Love those buttons!
Annette1 said... (6/17/08 4:36 PM) Reply
Ooooo, I love your choice of fabric and buttons! This is going to be one sharp jacket when it's done. Can't wait to see it! I wonder if Kwik Sew has any smaller men's patterns? I don't know why I think of them, other than I can picture several of their men's patterns as I'm sitting here. I think I'll check it out, just for curiousity's sake!

Sewaholic Patterns 1401