Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 12720-1000 (Swimwear)

Reviewed by:Karen8320

About Karen8320star
Member since: 3/14/04
Posted on:6/19/08 10:09 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
Slyvchan said... (5/17/09 2:26 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous splicing! Love it!
SewTwin said... (7/7/08 7:30 PM) Reply
Double WOWZER!!I am envious of the swimsuite reviews!I agree on the REAL woman in the review.This site is for our sewing buddies, but you could be on Oprah's real women getting out there!My DH has been trying to get me to go to the new YMCA down the street!I may have to check that out!I get tons of mags this time of the year, J Crew, Dilliard's,Macy's, Victoria Secret, you could steal their design ideas!Go forth & conquer!
Membear said... (6/24/08 0:07 AM) Reply
well dfone . I also swim alot and am having terrible trouble with fabrics and chlorine . How didi you finish the arm neck and leg hole ?? I would be verinterested to see that .
Heatherrique said... (6/20/08 3:49 PM) Reply
;-{}Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Karen, you look amazing and would drive those Baywatch babes off the shoreline! Your swimsuit has that ultra sizzling and flattering design!You've inspired me to venture into self-drafting! Thanks for sharing
snapdragonfly said... (6/20/08 2:45 PM) Reply
Sewing gold! you rate this as easy and great for beginners, so why am I frightened of sewing swimsuit fabric? I love all the design variations you have tried, top marks for the real woman inside them too.
Jane S said... (6/20/08 8:53 AM) Reply
Karen, bravo to you for tackling a swimsuit and extra kudos for encouraging all of us to show our clothes on real bodies. I'm impressed with how much sewing you get done...and now I find out you swim thee times a week, wow.
Annette1 said... (6/20/08 0:40 AM) Reply
Weeeeeelllllll, Miss Priss, you look GREAT in your new suit! I would have NEVER thought of putting a zipper in a suit, but what a great idea! I REALLY like that one with the shades of brown spliced into the middle -- AND the orange one. :o) I like the high neck, too. I'm always eyeing swimsuits, looking for that style, as if I'd ever actually be caught dead in one anyway -- ha! Maybe with a cover-up though! Swimsuits are RIDICULOUS in price, and you've saved yourself a fortune AND you look BETTER than you would in ready-to-wear. Just think, you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT. What about RUCHING? Wouldn't that be pretty? I'm big on RUCHING, you know. :o)) I even like the word "RUCHING." GREAT JOB!
mastdenman said... (6/19/08 9:54 PM) Reply
Nice swimsuits. You look great.
Karen8320 said... (6/19/08 9:21 PM) Reply
Thank you all for your very kind comments. Sewobsessed: No, I didn't line any of these suits, however it would be easy to do so. The fabric, though, is fairly sturdy and not at all see-through. Sewbehind and Tatterbat: No, the zipper doesn't cause me any irritation at all when I'm swimming. I also don't have a problem with it pulling or feeling tight when I'm doing tumble turns. The only thing I did with the zip was to sew a small square of fabric over the metal clasp at the bottom of the zip on the inside and that was to guard against any irritation from that bit. Other than that, I have had no problems at all. Fuzzygalore: Thanks for your advice. I will have a look at that website.
tatterbat said... (6/19/08 3:17 PM) Reply
Great suit, and how great of you to pose in it! I agree, seeing things on real people is a huge help. Does the zipper give any irritation when worn?
LuceLu said... (6/19/08 2:38 PM) Reply
Wow, I am in total awe. I am just learning sewing bathing suits. This is very helpful. You look great.
fuzzygalore said... (6/19/08 1:48 PM) Reply
Good for you! Having a good source for fabric (and elastic) is I think the most important in swimwear. If you're feeling a bit stuck for inspiration, have you seen another Australian site http://www.patternschool.com/lazyswim.shtml A bit 80s in style mostly, but lots of things to adapt..
AnneMarie60 said... (6/19/08 12:29 PM) Reply
Great job! I am inspired. Thanks for the great review!
Doris Stewart said... (6/19/08 11:53 AM) Reply
Well done! Beautiful suits and great review, thank you. It just might be the inspiration I need to try making my own.
Olivia Sews said... (6/19/08 11:38 AM) Reply
There is such a big mark up on RTW swimsuits!! Great job! Did you line your suits?
MissCelie said... (6/19/08 10:48 AM) Reply
Pretty fab Karen. I'm just starting to make my own suits to and this was very inspirational. I looove the starbust look of it too!
sewbehind said... (6/19/08 10:38 AM) Reply
You look great in your new swimsuit. Like your additional options too. Does the zipper cause irritation when you are swimming?
MelC said... (6/19/08 10:31 AM) Reply
Wow! I absolutely love what you did. You created a great swimsuit that you look marvelous in. I agree with your comment about real women wearing garments in reviews. I find it so much more helpful!

Other Postcard