Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5400 (MISSES' TWO- PIECE BATHING SUI)

Reviewed by:gameCoder

About gameCoder
Member since: 3/22/05
Posted on:6/23/08 2:58 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Activewear

Sweater knit fabrics

nannette brill said... (4/4/09 7:06 PM) Reply
I'm trying to sew this swimsuit and it is impossible for me to understand that 3/8 of an inch can fit in the very small area of the neckband. To i leave raw edges at the end of the elastic sewing? I know i have to sew the elastic and turn it in and topstitch it, but that leaves me with raw edges. HELP!!!!!!
tucci4me said... (7/12/08 12:10 PM) Reply
I commend you for your perseverance. I made the same suit from this pattern and also found the sizing and elastic lengths to be too large. Instead of ripping though I was able to give my first one to my SIL and start over for myself.
mewiththree said... (6/24/08 2:54 PM) Reply
Well, this cures my desire of wanting to sew a swimsuit! I've never been very good with elastic either! Sometimes, I get it too loose, sometimes I get it too tight! It's just hit or miss with me. And I can see that would be a big problem with a swimsuit!
Timmithea said... (6/24/08 10:10 AM) Reply
Swimsuits are difficult to do! The best results I had when making a suit was to take a swimsuit I already had - rip it apart and then make a suit from that pattern. Your final result looks good. Don't give up-it gets easier.
jcortell said... (6/24/08 8:24 AM) Reply
I remeber my first swimming suit. I had the maxium stretch vertical, so the suit woudl have fit a snake.
merteuil said... (6/23/08 10:43 AM) Reply
Very very nice swimsuit! Makes me wish I was brave enough to attempt a project like this. Well done!
patrica said... (6/23/08 9:09 AM) Reply
It looks very nice nice in the photo. I used to make bikini's long time ago, when I was twenty pound lighter. They are not easy to make IMHO.
JMarie1962 said... (6/23/08 7:56 AM) Reply
You ended up with a very cute suit. Just sorry you had such trouble getting there! I used to make suits in my teens and remember similar issues. I eventually learned 'my own way'. Next time you see a suit for $30 - $40 each piece, you might reconsider trying another suit :) Nice job!
squirrellypoo said... (6/23/08 7:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review on this. Your end result looks great, though I'm sorry you had to go through so much trouble to get there!

Sewing Workshop Tosca Dress