Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 509-1007 (Dress Form from Dress Pattern)

Reviewed by:Miss Fairchild

About Miss Fairchildstarstarstarstar
Posted on:9/3/08 4:50 PM
Last Updated:7/10/10 9:38 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 20 people

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

JillyBe said... (12/17/10 12:20 PM) Reply
MissF you are amazing! I will feel incredibly lucky if I can make my vintage Queen work w/ the FF shell & padding....but if I have any issues I'll know who to turn to! ;-D
katie lynne said... (12/28/08 7:37 PM) Reply
Well, this is just a fantastic solution! What a great job you did, on the form and explaining your process. You've helped me immensely, as I have been vacillating as to what course to take. This really seems to be the best solution as there wouldn't be the added dimension that the various tapes would inherently provide.
Miss Fairchild said... (12/5/08 8:26 AM) Reply
Hi Jean! Your idea of putting it on an already existing dress form is a good one, however, for me, it didn't work. What I found with dress forms, no matter how small they are is that the bust is a standard cup size (fuller than me) and higher than me (most of my bust measurement comes from my back, which rolls forward). When I had my first DTD made, I put it over a Dritz form and this is where I found the problem. I didn't mention that when I made this particular form that's reviewed here, I put it over my antique Acme dress form (adjustable form from the 40's to 50's) and found that the shoulders didn't fit (the shoulders on the Acme were longer than the ones on my form). Also, one side of my body rolls forward much more than the other, and that didn't work either. But if you don't have those kinds of problems, go for it! It does save time, and you can take the fitting shell off and put another (for someone else) on over your form, making it very interchangeable.
jeanharville said... (12/4/08 2:25 PM) Reply
Beth, Your information is very helpful. Do you think it would work to make the shell, put it on a My Twin form (that's too small) and then stuff it with the batting or foam to fill it out. If this would work, it would be easier to make. What do you think. jean
Miss Fairchild said... (9/5/08 10:01 PM) Reply
Well, thank you, Lily. I enjoy your reviews and to receive a compliment from you is an honor!
lilyofthevalley said... (9/5/08 2:13 PM) Reply
Great, great inspiring review, Beth, proving once again that "necessity is the mother of invention" and you have invented a perfect solution to your dressform solution. How proud you must feel of yourself; this is quite an achievement! It's lovely, Lily
Luckylibbet said... (9/5/08 11:14 AM) Reply
Thanks for the update! I've been collecting bags of polyfill from the thrift store, so I just need to dive in and DO IT! And another thanks for giving me the courage....
Miss Fairchild said... (9/5/08 8:26 AM) Reply
Luckylibbet, it's pure fluff (what's in the form). I used about three bags to fill it, and it still needs a little more fluff on the shoulders because the piping made them too stiff. I see I didn't add what I used to fill it, so I'll edit the review. Thank you for pointing this out!
Miss Fairchild said... (9/5/08 8:23 AM) Reply
Thanks, Mufffet!
Luckylibbet said... (9/4/08 10:22 AM) Reply
Good looking form! Can you tell me what is underneath - kinda looks like your duct tape form? or did you stuff it with batting/polyfill? I've been attempting the same thing and getting stuck on the fill. Also for cre8tv - you'll LOVE the book! Excellent directions.
Mufffet said... (9/4/08 9:52 AM) Reply
Beth! Great review of the process. Your quest for the form has turned out very well. :)
Miss Fairchild said... (9/3/08 4:49 PM) Reply
Review is finished. Note the hat...
Miss Fairchild said... (7/23/08 11:57 AM) Reply
Thank you! I'm still waiting for the stand, and when I get this, I'll finish the review.
Athene said... (7/22/08 7:45 PM) Reply
I love this type of review - thank you for sharing - your dress form looks really good.
Cre8tv said... (7/21/08 11:18 AM) Reply
"European Cut" by Elizabeth Allemong. It is self published. There are two book reviews on this site plus a pattern review for the skirt. It's a college level course that I am planning to start once my kids are back in school this fall.
Miss Fairchild said... (7/19/08 11:38 AM) Reply
A sloper is a sort of flat pattern that is used to create other patterns, including a fitting shell. It has no ease or design details. I'm curious as to the name of your book.
Cre8tv said... (7/18/08 10:36 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing your dress form quest. Is the shell the same as a "sloper"? I just purchased a book on making slopers and wondered if this would do the trick also. Thanks

by: julliams