Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5391 (Misses Shorts)

Reviewed by:ElizabethK

About ElizabethK
TX
Member since: 3/28/08
Posted on:7/20/08 9:02 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
LizBa said... (1/29/10 11:31 AM) Reply
Thanks for mentioning that these are low rise. I am tall and low-rise pants/shorts rarely work for me.
JMarie1962 said... (7/22/08 6:13 PM) Reply
These look great on you and you did a really nice job. I picked this pattern up on sale a few weeks ago and also have some of J's lightweight black twill. Great minds think alike! :) Thanks for your review!
SewLil said... (7/21/08 11:58 AM) Reply
Great job! I am really happy with mine too and wear them all the time. When I made them, I thought that them not having you take out the zipper stitches was what a "mock fly" was LOL! Debbie Cook enlighted me however. I used the video tutorial by Sandra Betzina on the Threads website for the zip application.
Nancywin said... (7/21/08 10:54 AM) Reply
I was looking for a shorts pattern a while back and somehow missed this one. These look great!
Mary Stiefer said... (7/21/08 10:31 AM) Reply
These looks great on you. And the length looks to be perfect. Another piece well done.
Kim12469 said... (7/21/08 8:02 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review! I have the material laid out for a pair of these. We are built similiar with not much of a waist and the way you describe these is exactly how I like my pants to fit. They look wonderful. I really like the topstitching.
donna mel said... (7/21/08 7:12 AM) Reply
great fit! maybe i will try to make a pair myself!
Natasha B said... (7/20/08 11:27 PM) Reply
These shorts look great - your fabric choice and topstitching really makes them look RTW.
CatMukai said... (7/20/08 10:49 PM) Reply
they look versatile and great for summer-good job!
frame said... (7/20/08 10:39 PM) Reply
Nice work on your shorts. Great fit.
Fictionfan said... (7/20/08 9:39 PM) Reply
Very nice job on these shorts! They look great on you, very flattering. Regarding the instructions: I haven't looked at this particular pattern, but I'm guessing that the fly front is like all the other big4 mock fly front instructions. The usual instructions would have told you to sew up the front seam to a large dot, or something. This leaves the top of the seam, where the zipper will go, open for work. You then install the zipper, keeping most of the work flat if you can. Sandra Betzina has a video tutorial on the threads magazine website on installing a fly zipper, and there are a few tutorials on PR as well. Check out Debbie Cook's tutorial, or the sewing divas blogsite for lots of help. Congratulations on your first review! Nicely done (the shorts and the review ;-0 .)

by: STARG