Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4918 (Retro Butterick '52)

Reviewed by:SewingQueenKym

About SewingQueenKymstar
United States
Member since: 11/19/07
Posted on:7/26/08 3:05 PM
Last Updated:7/26/08 7:59 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

SewingQueenKym said... (9/3/08 4:01 AM) Reply
Connie, When you make the dress, post a review and pictures, so we can see what you've created! SQKym
ConnieBJ said... (9/1/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Just the perfect review! I wanted to use the bodice of this dress to create pretty well what you made. Timely! Thanks.
firsthays said... (7/29/08 1:06 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful, I'm off to ebay to find myself a copy! :)
firsthays said... (7/29/08 1:05 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful, I'm off to ebay to find myself a copy! :)
SewingQueenKym said... (7/28/08 4:25 AM) Reply
Miss Ga America: she won scholarships, but in her estimation is too opinionated to win. Her friends have won - and she cheers them on! You can read about her reasons for getting into pageants at her website: http://www.chantelle-wright.com/my_experience.htm
BeckyC said... (7/27/08 9:46 PM) Reply
Wow! The dress is stunning! And your daughter looks beautiful in it. I loved how you changed the style to work with the fabric, it is awesome. BTW how did your DD do at the Miss Georgia America pagent?
SewingQueenKym said... (7/27/08 6:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for the notes. The flickr page doesn't hold enough, so I've put them on my website. You can click on the link above (in my review) or go to: http://www.kymwright.com/butterick_4918.htm
AnitaJJ said... (7/27/08 3:11 PM) Reply
I'd love to see the pic of this dress but the link takes me to a red dress.
papago said... (7/27/08 2:39 PM) Reply
Beautiful!! I love your reviews and look forward to more of them!! Laura
DorothyK said... (7/27/08 12:11 PM) Reply
What ingenuity! I love your choice of fabric and how you worked around all the various problems. Your daughter looks stunning.
kerrynw said... (7/27/08 10:53 AM) Reply
Kym I was interested to see your lovely dress as I have just made a very similar dress for my daughter for her formal ball. I could not find a pattern at the time so adapted one. I will try to post a review soon.
SewingQueenKym said... (7/27/08 3:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for the kind comments. It was such an easy dress to make, and the fabric and colors brought it up a few notches. I should add that I had to tack the bodice under the wrap - the crinkly stuff wanted to "hang down" and I wanted it to stay put!
mistygirl902 said... (7/27/08 0:01 AM) Reply
This dress is fantastic and your daughter looks so cute in it! Your review brought back memories of my mother making me a dress for the junior prom, and then making a different bodice to go with the skirt for the senior prom back in the 1960's.
ryansmumAria said... (7/26/08 11:00 PM) Reply
Wonderful!
anncie1 said... (7/26/08 10:41 PM) Reply
Absolutely Beautiful!!! When I grow up I wonna make dresses like you!
Dei said... (7/26/08 8:21 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress on a beautiful young lady. Your creativity is something else. Absolutely love this fabric and your use of just 1 yard of it!
ElizabethK said... (7/26/08 8:19 PM) Reply
What a marvelous adaptation of a vintage pattern! You are definitely a sewing queen!
Athene said... (7/26/08 7:29 PM) Reply
I love your version and of course your daughter looks so lovely in it - what a great mom you are.
clare said... (7/26/08 4:31 PM) Reply
I love how you have embraced the challenge of making a dress out of just a yard of fabric! It looks fab!
Mahler said... (7/26/08 3:30 PM) Reply
Needless to say that I would love to have one !!!! This fabric is fabulous. What a wonderful dress. Your daughter look magnificent. Bravo !
Ann Smith said... (7/26/08 3:30 PM) Reply
A delightful dress. I love how the colors come and go around the dress. The bubble hem was a great idea to solve the hemming problem.

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern