Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2753 (Issey Miyake)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:7/31/03 7:11 PM
Last Updated:8/2/03 1:51 PM

Skymom said... (8/8/03 5:45 PM) Reply
Ann, you look fantastic in that dress! I loved the pattern sketch but couldn't even bring myself to buy it, knowing I'd never have time to get to it...and I always hesitate about the one-shoulder look, though this is completely successful. But what I like about seeing your work is the happy, bright smile you wear in all your pictures--makes me think you really do enjoy all these terrific projects of yours!
Alana Robson said... (8/3/03 10:32 PM) Reply
This is definitely WTW when you have slim arms and nicely shaped shoulders, Ann! Also the draped and wrapped effect is very flattering.
e_e_thomas said... (8/2/03 8:27 PM) Reply
The outfit looks great! It really reminds me of this exhibit: http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId=%7B9B8FB8DB-AE97-11D6-945F-00902786BF44%7D If anyone has a chance to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art by tomorrow, this exhibit is wonderful.
gabrielle said... (8/2/03 2:37 PM) Reply
You do look like a goddess in this outfit--surely the WNTW ladies would exempt the divine from their rules:) I looked at your description of the pattern pieces and instructions and just cringed. I'm so impressed you can put things like this together so beautifully. It's lovely, and the pieces work well as seperates too.
Ann Smith said... (8/2/03 2:04 PM) Reply
Rebecca: I, too, need to wear a bra and have never found a strapless that works on a D cup. So my solution is a convertible bra with one strap attached on the covered shoulder side. Then I fold under the unstrapped side. This works fine on this dress but doesn't work if the top is smooth because there are funny lumps created by the folding. p.s. I think I fixed the photo link.
Rebecca D said... (8/2/03 1:24 PM) Reply
Ann, you rock! What a gorgeous outfit. This is a very personal question, but are you wearing a strapless bra underneath? I would love to try a top with a shoulder exposed, but my middle-aged bust needs some help. Just wondering...
Shoiley said... (8/2/03 3:37 AM) Reply
Harriet, I'm getting a blank-ish page that says "Ann's Sewing Projects." Click on "View & edit albums," and then the "Ann's Sewing Projects" album...where you can see all of Ann's beautiful projects.
Harriet Rogers said... (8/1/03 5:39 PM) Reply
I'm so glad to have read this. I have bought the pattern, but have not even opened yet, so these comments will be useful, to say the least, BUT, Anne, the picture isn't appearing in your photo album: I've gone in from two ways and still comes up blank. Would you please submit again? As usual, I really appreciate your comments about the beautiful clothes you make. Glad to know about the armhole: I'm 5'7", so I'll be sure to keep your notes nearby when I finally cut this out.
Mariko said... (8/1/03 12:36 PM) Reply
I love this dress! It is nice to be able to wear separately like that. I also love your fabric.
Tee Jay said... (8/1/03 11:54 AM) Reply
Ann--You are such an adventurous, creative and accomplished sewing artist. I am living vicariously through your work. I am especially thrilled you are petite because I am and I always seem to nix patterns thinking they wouldn't work on shorter people--but obviously--The DO!
Ann Smith said... (8/1/03 4:04 AM) Reply
Wow, thanks for all the comments! Georgene: it didn't take very long, maybe 5 hours. It seemed as though I spent more time puzzling than sewing. I might make it again, or at least the skirt, from some thin black jersey I have on hand. I think the details of the skirt would show up better in a solid. M+M: a stretch woven might work with zippers. It is very close fitting. Sue: the fabric is an onionskin (very sheer knit, probably polyester) from EmmaOneSock online. Oh, also, I meant 9 feet, not 9 yards.
Snowblossom said... (8/1/03 3:16 AM) Reply
That dress looks wonderful. I think that the texture of the onionskin and the different wrong side makes it more interesting. Its interesting how it gives a different effect on you than on the pattern envelope - you really do look like a goddess. What fun!
Modiste Madness said... (8/1/03 0:43 AM) Reply
Courage is a wonderful thing. This pattern is quite an accomplishment and it looks wonderful on you, as to all your creations. You already know WNTW you don't need someone else making rules for you. What a fabulous dress.
maybbm said... (8/1/03 0:39 AM) Reply
I looked at the instruction for the top. When I imagined a piece of long fabric hanging over my left shoulder, it helped me to understand it. The long rectangle is sort of folded up lengthwise, with the fold at the left shoulder. Imagine you are wearing it. The right side of the folded rectangle is partially stitched together to form a neck/right arm hole. The left side of the piece is eventually attached to the fitted body, which now has a big hole for head and right arm. In order to form a circle, it seems the left side of the folded rectangle is overwrapped a little, right next to the finished sections: i.e. the wrong side is placed on the right side. This is a fun top to make!!!
Debbie Spriggs said... (8/1/03 0:12 AM) Reply
Wow! That dress looks lovely. What an accomplishment!
AnneM said... (7/31/03 11:00 PM) Reply
So, what town are you painting in that outfit? Very nice, very elegant, very "I don't think I will attempt that pattern". ;)
maybbm said... (7/31/03 10:10 PM) Reply
Thank you, Ann, for this review. I was thinking of using an onion skin as well. Good to remember that the back side does show. Do you think it can be done with stretch woven, with a possible side zippers for both top and the bottom?
jlg said... (7/31/03 9:19 PM) Reply
I love your review Ann, and you do look like a goddess. You make all the problems with the pattern sound amusing and challenging rather than the nightmare that they would be if I attempted it.
Georgene said... (7/31/03 9:17 PM) Reply
Ann, what a beautiful adventure! Can't tell from the picture about the underside of the fabric, but I bet no one ever notices.....How long would you say this takes to put together? Do you think you would ever make it again?
Evatgirl73 said... (7/31/03 9:11 PM) Reply
What a great job! It looks awesome on you, and I (like the others) really like the top on it's own as well. This pattern sounds like something I would never *dare* to take on, but the result is truly gorgeous!
els said... (7/31/03 9:07 PM) Reply
Thanks Ann for reviewing this "new "miyake pattern .You look georgeous.I understand your "problem "with the backside of the fabric but there is not much to do about it just do not use a wide hem I suggest.
Sue Anfang said... (7/31/03 8:36 PM) Reply
Anne, this is tres, tres fabulous. You look great in it & I love the top on it's own too. What is the fabric? I am going to share this review with Miyake Group on Yahoo that I am a memeber of!! Sue
MaryBeth said... (7/31/03 8:36 PM) Reply
You made this pattern and lived to review. It really does look good on you and with the light color the back side of the onionskin isn't that jarring in the photos. I really like the top worn separately. Whew, what an accomplishment.
GorgeousFabrics said... (7/31/03 8:29 PM) Reply
Ann, who cares what the WNTW girls say, you look fantastic in that dress. I love Miyake's designs, and I find them to be rewarding challenges. Thank you for a great and informative review. -Ann

Marfy 2422